Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quoted $8k in repairs from dealership..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2022 | 04:25 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Quoted $8k in repairs from dealership..

Hey guys, brought my car (2011 C63 with 60k miles) in for a coolant leak and after a MPI, they came back with a list of things that need to be fixed with all of it coming in at a little under $8k. I'll include some details below on each of these items but just wanted to some advice on what I should do - are there any items that I can hold off on? Anything I can do myself? Should I find a local shop instead?

I'm trying to save wherever I can but obviously if it's something that absolutely needs to be fixed then I'm happy to pay for it. The only thing is, this dealership has tried to rip me off in the past (e.g. $6k for a brake change) and am really only trying to go here if i'm out of other options.

1. Coolant Leak
Cost: $3500 to replace radiator and upper radiator hose
Description: I noticed some yellow/green droplets under my car after a snow day and leaving it in the driveway for 4 days. After initial start-up, I received a refill coolant warning but it hasn't shown up since after several more drives. The dealership pressure tested the hoses, etc and they didn't notice an active leak surprisingly. The only thing they noticed is the hose flange on the radiator starting to expand. Coolant levels are fine apparently now - does this even need to be fixed at all?

2. Collapsed engine mounts
Cost: $2200 to replace both engine mounts
Description: Not much to describe here. I understand that the car is 10 years old but in all honesty I haven't noticed any major vibrations coming from the car. Is this something that I can hold off on?

3. Both valve covers leaking (replace gaskets)
Cost: $1300 to replace valve cover gaskets
Description: I had just changed valve cover gaskets myself a few months back but based on the photos, it looks like there are two parts where the gasket has broken off and is causing the leak. Is this something I should try myself again? Not entirely sure if I screwed it up the first time around and i'm not sure what's causing it again in the first place.

4. Torn flex disc
Cost: $1100 to replace rear shaft flex disc
Description: There's a minor tear in the rubber. This seems like the easiest job so i'll most likely just order the spare part and do it myself whenever I get access to a lift.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2022 | 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Wow. Find a good indy. That quote is massively too high. Like 4x.

Dropping in a new radiator should cost like $1k all-in including the radiator, hoses, coolant and labor. May be able to do it yourself but it’s a little more complex than it looks.

Engine mounts suck to do, but get the VRP ones and do them yourself. It'll take you a day at casual speed.

And valve cover gaskets are a little time consuming but just buy the gaskets and do it yourself. Gives you a chance to clean up and check things out like plugs and injectors.

It's like they are asking you to pay like $400/hr in labor. Just total insanity. RUN

Last edited by BLKROKT; 02-02-2022 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2022 | 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Ya that is one of the most overpriced quotes I’ve ever seen to be honest. Are you female
by chance? Definitely get a different shop or do these yourself the cost isn’t going to be anywhere near this
Old 02-02-2022 | 07:52 PM

2014 C63
I just did the cover gaskets on mine. Fairly simple just takes time to unscrew everything in a tight engine bay and move all the wiring out of the way so you can get the covers off. Gives you a chance to check the cam lobes as well. Don't forget the spark plug gaskets under the covers as well. Those are usually more brittle than the perimeter covers.
Old 02-02-2022 | 09:21 PM

2013 C63 (W204)
Originally Posted by pww92
Hey guys, brought my car (2011 C63 with 60k miles) in for a coolant leak and after a MPI, they came back with a list of things that need to be fixed with all of it coming in at a little under $8k. I'll include some details below on each of these items but just wanted to some advice on what I should do - are there any items that I can hold off on? Anything I can do myself? Should I find a local shop instead?

I'm trying to save wherever I can but obviously if it's something that absolutely needs to be fixed then I'm happy to pay for it. The only thing is, this dealership has tried to rip me off in the past (e.g. $6k for a brake change) and am really only trying to go here if i'm out of other options.

1. Coolant Leak
Cost: $3500 to replace radiator and upper radiator hose
Description: I noticed some yellow/green droplets under my car after a snow day and leaving it in the driveway for 4 days. After initial start-up, I received a refill coolant warning but it hasn't shown up since after several more drives. The dealership pressure tested the hoses, etc and they didn't notice an active leak surprisingly. The only thing they noticed is the hose flange on the radiator starting to expand. Coolant levels are fine apparently now - does this even need to be fixed at all?

2. Collapsed engine mounts
Cost: $2200 to replace both engine mounts
Description: Not much to describe here. I understand that the car is 10 years old but in all honesty I haven't noticed any major vibrations coming from the car. Is this something that I can hold off on?

3. Both valve covers leaking (replace gaskets)
Cost: $1300 to replace valve cover gaskets
Description: I had just changed valve cover gaskets myself a few months back but based on the photos, it looks like there are two parts where the gasket has broken off and is causing the leak. Is this something I should try myself again? Not entirely sure if I screwed it up the first time around and i'm not sure what's causing it again in the first place.

4. Torn flex disc
Cost: $1100 to replace rear shaft flex disc
Description: There's a minor tear in the rubber. This seems like the easiest job so i'll most likely just order the spare part and do it myself whenever I get access to a lift.

Any advice is appreciated.

let me get this straight - they want $3,500 to replace a radiator and a hose but couldnt find a leak when pressure testing? maybe you are losing coolant when the system is under pressure and the coolant expands. this would explain some drops that probably leaked out when you parked and the system was still hot.

also - i didnt think green coolant was spec'd for MB. isnt it blue?
Old 02-02-2022 | 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
purely insane prices. Where do you live?
Old 02-02-2022 | 10:22 PM

2013 C63 (W204)
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
purely insane prices. Where do you live?
the moon. they have to shuttle the parts and mechanic there and back.
The following 4 users liked this post by See63Run:
Birdseye (02-03-2022), BLKROKT (02-03-2022), INS1GNIA (02-03-2022), roadtalontsi (02-03-2022)