Sponsored by:

Alignment problems after front right impact

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Coupe
Unhappy Alignment problems after front right impact

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on this forum, however I've been following it for quite some time now and I'm really fond of many of your opinions!
On to the topic:
The previous owner had crashed the C63 and some frame damage was done to the upper front right rail (and possibly the apron). He then repaired it and sold it. To the naked eye, the repair was done really well. All body parts fit well snugly, panels don't have unequal gaps side to side. When I bought it, the tires were completely destroyed so I got a new pair and put it on a 4-wheel alignment machine. We could get the Toe alignment right, however Camber and Caster are slightly off on the side of the impact. Upon inspection, the front right strut was replaced and the new part is OEM. However, it appears that the steering knuckle and control arms are the old ones, which endured the impact.
Given that Caster is slightly more negative on the right side than on the left side, along with a visible shift in the front right wheel towards the rear of the wheel well (sits about 1.5 - 2cm further back in the well than the left wheel), I suspect that it can be one of 4 things, perhaps in this order of possibility:
  1. Bent front right lower control arm
  2. Bent knuckle
  3. Bent subframe
  4. Bent frame in the apron area
Because caster is more negative on the right side, and the wheel sits further back in the wheel well, I assume that's it's not a bent frame near the apron, if anything, I assume the caster would've gotten more positive if it was shifted back from the impact.

The alignment shop said we should start replacing parts 1 by 1 and see what fixes it. Obviously, I don't like that approach and I've come to the conclusion that a frame measure machine should be my first step in diagnosing the problem. Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Alignment data - before and after

Wheelbase parameters - before and after