Pre-Facelift with Apple Car Play?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 06:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 C63
Pre-Facelift with Apple Car Play?

Hello all,

I am looking for a way to update the radio head unit and add AppleCar play to my pre-facelift 2008 C63 AMG. I really want to keep the OEM look, or at least keep things as stock looking as possible with the fold up screen. Most of the information I have been able to find relates to either facelift (2012+) cars or to Android Auto. I have found very little info on AppleCar play and the older generations.

First, has anyone added Apple CarPlay to their 2008-2011 C63? If so, what kit/hardware did you use and how was the install?

Secondly, do options like this actually work? The page and manufacturer says it is able to run Apple CarPlay but I am very skeptical with the posted photos and information. Has anyone run this kit or similar?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
Carlinkit Carplay (08-10-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 07:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2001 E55 AMG, 2009 C63 AMG
I added it to my 2009. I bought a Kremer Sino NTG 4.0 unit off of Allibaba. This was just a piggy back box which ties into your stock Nav unit.

This thread has tons of details. https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ispreloading=1

it works pretty well so far. I mainly use for GMaps, Waze, Spotify. I'm waiting for one of the next IOS updates to possible brick the unit, but so far it's been okay. (I'm currently on 15.4.1, so i'm behind a little bit for other reasons.). Install wasn't too bad but the hardest part is getting the MB unit with all the cables and stuff back in so everything fits.

Last edited by dfreret; 08-09-2022 at 08:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dfreret:
Cwc1jz (08-09-2022), Mrboost05 (08-08-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 03:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 C63 AMG
I got my local wheel and custom supplier to install on my 2008 pre facelift, so I dont know the model of Car Play, but except for that my original screen burnt out (not because of the installation) and I had to buy a new original unit for 1.600 $, the unit works fine with the original setup and Comand audio still working when i press the "back" button on the middleconsole. I can highly recommend the installation of Car Play.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 C63
Originally Posted by dfreret
I added it to my 2009. I bought a Kremer Sino NTG 4.0 unit off of Allibaba. This was just a piggy back box which ties into your stock Nav unit.

This thread has tons of details. https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ispreloading=1

it works pretty well so far. I mainly use for GMaps, Waze, Spotify. I'm waiting for one of the next IOS updates to possible brick the unit, but so far it's been okay. (I'm currently on 15.4.1, so i'm behind a little bit for other reasons.). Install wasn't too bad but the hardest part is getting the MB unit with all the cables and stuff back in so everything fits.

I just bought a unit myself! It seems this is the best option overall to keep the stock look which I really like.

Did you end up mounting the retrofit box inside of your glove compartment or in the space between the center stack and glove compartment? About how long did the install take?

I have pulled/reinstalled head units in several cars but this looks a little more in-depth than anything I have done that is stereo related. Nonetheless, I think it will be a job I can handle. Ill keep this updated with my progress.

Thanks for the info, this helped a lot.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cwc1jz
I just bought a unit myself! It seems this is the best option overall to keep the stock look which I really like.

Did you end up mounting the retrofit box inside of your glove compartment or in the space between the center stack and glove compartment? About how long did the install take?

I have pulled/reinstalled head units in several cars but this looks a little more in-depth than anything I have done that is stereo related. Nonetheless, I think it will be a job I can handle. Ill keep this updated with my progress.

Thanks for the info, this helped a lot.
Even the Kremer Sino youtube video is very helpful. I re-watched that a couple times while I was doing the install to make sure I didn't miss anything.
I mounted (aka stuffed) the carplay box inbetween the head unit and the glovebox. There is surprisingly quite a bit of room there. There is not enough room behind the headunit with all the wiring. You will have to get creative pushing wires down and out of the way to get headunit to slide back into place. (probably the hardest part of the install.) I used some trim tools to hold wires in place while sliding it in...seemed to work okay.

Obviously check everything works. Carpay, reverse camera, etc. before you put back together. I had to adjust one of the dip switches because I had a blank screen at first. If you done stereos before, it's really not that hard then. Obviously be careful removing and transferring the fiber optic wires from the old harness to the new.

I missed this little nuggest the first time i put stuff together and had to go back and fix. There is a picture showing this in the other thread.

IMPORTANT: LVDS CABLE
MAKE SURE THE LVDS CABLE GOES IN THE RIGHT WAY. There is an indent, or small marking that shows and that should be facing up. Do not install upside down. It will be a pain to remove from Comand unit. I have included a picture here to show which way it should be plugged in. There is this marking in the middle on one side only, you can't miss it.

Cwc1jz (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Carlinkit Carplay
Hi, all

We are carlinkit carplay team. We are committed to producing a high-end, cost-effective CarPlay Adapter Dongle.

In this forum we learned that many people are interested in apple carplay, if you got a wired apple carply by retrofitting a car, and you also want to have a wireless carplay or a wireless Android auto, you just need to add a tiny adapter.

Carlinkit 4.0 and T-Box Mini are our store's new arrivals that convert wired carplay/ Android auto to wireless.

Carlinkit 4.0 (supports both Apple CarPlay for iPhones and AndroidAuto system for Android mobiles)

https://carlinkitcarplay.com/product...actory-carplay

T-box mini (support watching YouTube and Netflix videos on original car carplay display)

https://carlinkitcarplay.com/product...android-tablet

If anyone interested in it, welcome to use coupon code "MBF" to get 18% off.

These cars are so old they do not have OEM carplay. Any of the solutions discussed in this thread already have wireless carplay built into the aftermarket boxes.
Cwc1jz (08-10-2022)