Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63S
Need some suggestions on shipping wheels across the country

Hi MBworld fam,

Happy Sunday!

I recently sold my rims with tires and the buyer is in IL (rims & tires located in CA). The cheapest quote I can get from FedEx will be over $700, which is too high.

I’m wondering if you have any suggested solution to ship wheels and tires across the country at reasonable price?

thank you so much for your suggestion!

p.s with wheels plus tire weight about 52lbs
Old 01-29-2023, 01:56 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
AMG C63
Originally Posted by Jinggyjin
Hi MBworld fam,

Happy Sunday!

I recently sold my rims with tires and the buyer is in IL (rims & tires located in CA). The cheapest quote I can get from FedEx will be over $700, which is too high.

I’m wondering if you have any suggested solution to ship wheels and tires across the country at reasonable price?

thank you so much for your suggestion!

p.s with wheels plus tire weight about 52lbs

Logistics is my profession.

I won't lie to you, you're a bit screwed here.

Your best bet without a solid account at FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc. is to ship them individually with your own packing material and then ship them ground on your own dime.

Another option, find a friend in a logistics department near you who can ship under their account number and then you can simply pay for it and save yourself some money.

Third option, you ship without any material, any boxes, you ship ground, and no insurance/loss protection, that's literally the cheapest worst way to do it.

I spend hours every day figuring out ways to cut these kinds of costs and its nearly impossible without an already lined up shipping account, the shipping/logistics industry is rather limited in options.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
When I shipped wheels I took them directly to a trucking company. I taped a couple of layers of round cardboard disks (Tire Rack style) to the out side to protect the wheels. It was several years ago but they went from New Brunswick to Ontario in Canada ( Over 1000 miles) for under $100 for 4 wheels with tires.
Sometimes you can get a good deal sending packages as cargo on a bus line if both spots are on a bus route.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 232 Likes on 136 Posts
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG
Best to ship it as LTL. Slap it on a pallet and call it a day. Depending on a carrier, like YRC, you might see prices as around $300-$400. Mind you, I have been out of the shipping game for 3+ years. Prior to 2020 I was getting pallet shipments from CA to GA for sub $300. It did go through YRC, the crappiest trucking company that I know of.