Sponsored by:

COMAND stuck on Classical radio station

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG coupe 2013
COMAND frozen!

I have a beautiful c63 AMG coupe (2013) that I would like some advice on. I’m new here so please forgive me for any violations and/or if I have posted this in the wrong place. One thing to keep in mind is that I absolutely love driving her. I have mastered her beautifully but I am a useless when it comes to the hardware and electrics

The problem: I do love a good ol’ drive down the M4 with classical music pumping through the speakers but My system is now driving me insane! Feel like I’m in an episode of Hannibal and COMAND is about to eat my liver. Initially It was stuck on Classic fm, played for a minute, then went blank and then restarted all over again. This went on for a week. Now, the screen has decided to remain blank (no start up logo etc), but the classical music is still on in the background (COMAND has turned psycho). I believe the screen went blank when I accidentally hit a mini pot hole 😡. Note, it does not connect to my Bluetooth at all. None of the unit buttons work (that I can see) other than the on/off button.

Other issues I noticed around the same time (1) right side of the overhead light keeps flickering), (2) I feel like the engine takes a couple more seconds to turn on.

First check - independent mechanic - told me it was a COMAND issue and only Mercedes can fix it (including the overhead electrical fault). thankfully he didn’t charge me for the diagnostic.

Second check- Mercedes - after keeping it for 2 days, they told me that they couldn’t work out what was wrong with it and said the best thing for me to do was to replace the entire unit… for approx £3,000. After swearing for a few minutes, I probed further ( circuit issues? Is it connected to the flickering light? Software updates? Etc). He explained it may be a circuit issue in the unit but they don’t know And anyway Mercedes don’t have the tech expertise to fix, hence the recommendations to replace entirely. Following the conversation, I sent them and email requesting a report on all the checks the technician did, so I can let the next mechanic know and also for peace of mind that they tried

[The overhead light issue is apparently because it’s an LED bulb. I have never changed it so I’m thinking it may be the previous owner. However, Mercedes didn’t actually confirm this. They kept asking me and told me that they think it might be an led bulb. I found this odd as surely they would have checked and known if it was or wasn’t?]

I’d rather not have to replace the unit, and being a bit clueless on cars, I’ve done a bit of research and was hoping for your advice before I go armed with a little bit more knowledge to Mercedes.

1) could this be a battery issue? I have noted a few second delay start when I switch the engine on. Others don’t notice this but I’m aware of this slight change as I drive her everyday!

2) is it a fuse getting wet issue in the engine? (Tbh I don’t know where the fuses are (foot area?). I do have my car washed and cleaned every week.

3) how do I know if a software update is required and what version of the software COMAND is on?

4) I tried the eject button method but nothing happened. Is there actually a cd in there? Is there a memory card somewhere?

5) or is there no hope and a brand new ‘limited edition top of the range Chanel’ unit shipped in from Germany is my only option? The health check report said I needed COMAND unit 2.0 replacement, it I’m sure my unit is 4.5.

Please let me know your thoughts (beyond my list above). Any help I can get is much appreciated. Happy to even try fix it myself if it seems easy, just need a mentor.

video attached

regards
Damsel In Distress
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0568.MOV (18.95 MB, 33 views)

Last edited by Damselindistres; 02-11-2023 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Updated information.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C400 Sedan
It could be a few things. I wonder if the shop actually took the head unit out to inspect the wiring. Could be a short causing this.
It could be a software issue too. Somehow it may have got corrupted. Maybe the dealer can update the firmware in the unit?
Or try disconnecting the battery for a few hours to let it reset, then try it again.
Unfortunately I only have experience with computers and other electronics malfunctioning, not COMAND units.