Sponsored by:

Purchasing 2014 C63 507 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C7 Z06 Corvette
Purchasing 2014 C63 507 Sedan

Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster. I am currently in the process of purchasing a 2014 C63 507 Sedan in Iridium Silver. Car has around 54k miles on it. I have always wanted a W204 C63 and it was a car I strongly considered before purchasing my C7 Z06. Ive done a good amount of research regarding maintenance/reliability and watched my fair share of videos on how to fix known issues. I feel like I probably should of started by posting here BEFORE I started the buying process but Im starting to get cold feet a little bit.

My thought process is to have a fun car to take my family in when I need to run an errand or get some groceries. Id estimate maybe 6k miles a year. Where I start to get cold feet is when I dig into the reliability and maintenance. I am very picky and the preventative maintenance type. I read these forums and across the internet and my mind immediately thinks (overthinks maybe?):

-Cam Plates
-Fuel Injectors
-Accessory Drive Belt + Tensioner Pulleys
-Hydraulic Lifters
-Intake Manifold/Gaskets/ PCV Valve
-Other common issues

I have a shop, lift, and all the tools I would ever need to accomplish most of the tasks myself. Im hoping some of you guys can help give me a better idea if im just being ridiculous or if my mindset is in the right place to expect all of these things sooner then later? As random as it is, the other car I was considering was ordering a brand new 2024 BMW M3 Competition. I think 0 Miles/warranty vs 54k miles can definitely create second guessing. Im hoping some long term owners can chime in and maybe give me reasonable expectations to help assist me with buying this car.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:39 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63
You're a bit smarter than I was, I test drove mine and bought it the next day with basically no clue what would be a common issue to deal with. What you listed is basically everything major a facelifted version would need to worry about. Injectors, pulleys, manifold gasket, and PCV valve are going to be no problem, it could be done in a weekend for around 500-600.

Cam plates and lifters you could probably hold off until you get actual symptoms that they need to be replaced.

Other things to add to the list is the sway bar links, like to go out often, motor mounts, valve cover gaskets, and if you live in a snowy area with salted roads check the rear subframe for rust damage or if a recall repair was done already. Also the magnesium throttle body plate is known to corrode, aluminum replacements exist to futureproof it.
Old 08-05-2023, 08:53 AM

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Hi,
I think you have got a good list going new black series lifters and replace the throttle plate with the aluminium, plus change all the fluids and what I did with mine was short drive and recharge the engine oil.
Part of the fun of these cars is the opportunity of tinkering with them once in a while, I have owned mine for about 10 months and driven about 1000km but (had 27000km on the clock when purchased) that is all good.

The injectors and timing belt are really the only things that is at the top of the list the other items are nice to do but not drastically important to do straight away.

As for the BMW I would give it a miss just look awful in the front (just my opinion) and it will be going down in value quite quick and with your home set up you are well suited to fix any problem on the Mercedes.
My other classic car is a 1987 BMW M3.

Dave.
Old 08-05-2023, 09:38 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507 Edition Sedan - Mars Red
507 sedan owner since 2019. I think someone else mentioned but motor Mounts go quickly so add that to the list. My only issues since owning car was lower oil pan leak (VERY small seeping leak) and that’s about it. I do have an occasional startup camshaft rattle, but it happens maybe once every few months and only if my car has been sitting for days / weeks (not my daily). After researching and reading about these cars here is my suggestion on the 2 biggest problems you’ll read about. Startup rattle, if it happens at every startup then you’ll have to fix cam shaft adjuster plate ASAP. If it’s an occasional rattle - no worries carry on. Lifter tick, if it keeps ticking even after the car is warm, you may have an issue. And you’ll have to trouble shoot by checking oil levels and maybe switching to thicker oil or using liqui Molly ceratec additive. If you still have lifter tick after all this then you may need to replace tappets.

now with all that said I still say these are VERY reliable and powerful cars. AND if you want even more power just slap on some LTH and a tune and you be pushing 560-570 crank.

Good luck with your researching and potential purchase.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:21 AM

C7 Z06 Corvette
Originally Posted by NZ-Merc
As for the BMW I would give it a miss just look awful in the front (just my opinion) and it will be going down in value quite quick and with your home set up you are well suited to fix any problem on the Mercedes.
My other classic car is a 1987 BMW M3.

Dave.
I do like the look of the G80 but in the end the C63 has always been a dream car for my garage. The depreciation aspect of the BMW is def something that I know I won't have to deal with on the 507. I appreciate you guys for chiming in with detailed responses. My heart is really leaning into this being the right car for me.

On another note, what do you guys think is a fair value for a 2014 507 Edition Sedan in iridium silver that has every option except AMG Performance Media. 54k miles, fully documented service history, PPF wrap, and no modifications? 2 previous owners.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:52 AM

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by TacoProfit
I do like the look of the G80 but in the end the C63 has always been a dream car for my garage. The depreciation aspect of the BMW is def something that I know I won't have to deal with on the 507. I appreciate you guys for chiming in with detailed responses. My heart is really leaning into this being the right car for me.

On another note, what do you guys think is a fair value for a 2014 507 Edition Sedan in iridium silver that has every option except AMG Performance Media. 54k miles, fully documented service history, PPF wrap, and no modifications? 2 previous owners.
One very similar recently sold on BAT for lower 40's, which I think is low. It had 87k miles however so that may be why. 507 sedan's are fairly rare, i've seen them go upper 40's to lower 50's on auction sites.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...nz-c63-amg-25/
Old 08-08-2023, 02:06 AM

C7 Z06 Corvette
Originally Posted by blay127
One very similar recently sold on BAT for lower 40's, which I think is low. It had 87k miles however so that may be why. 507 sedan's are fairly rare, i've seen them go upper 40's to lower 50's on auction sites.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...nz-c63-amg-25/
I was hoping to grab this one for under 46k. Judging by that BAT auction I am somewhat close to a fair price. Appreciate you response!