Sponsored by:

HELP: Weird noise on startup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 P31
HELP: Weird noise on startup

Just did my oil change myself. Liquidmolly 5W-40 Leichtlauf. Started making this noise after. Torqued everything to spec, dont think its anything related to that, just paranoid.

Help would be much appreciated. Just trying to figure out what that noise for the first second or two could be, Possibly cam adjusters? Sounds like is coming from more the left side of the engine bay, possibly the starter. I bought the car from a kind of seedy dealership with the oil not being changed for what I assume to be 12,000km 😢 The mercedes dealer pre inspection went well. But I am still quite worried for the engine. Anything I can do to help the health of it in anyway? It also sort of bucks at low speeds, moreso in S+ than C.

Here is a video I took of the startup.

Startup video

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Freedoms; 08-14-2023 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Most def your cam adjusters that all of these cars suffer from at some point regardless of mileage and more about quality of oil used and how the car is driven. Can be resolved with 63 motorsports stage 1 plates. Did all 4 of mine 5k ago and even though wear was not to crazy it was still enough for the quick start up noise when car sat for longer then 4 days which ate up two lifters and wore out 1 lobe from each intake cam. So then I also did all black series lifters and intake cams and now car is as smooth as butter @120k.

The following users liked this post:
Freedoms (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 P31
Originally Posted by ipittydafoo
Most def your cam adjusters that all of these cars suffer from at some point regardless of mileage and more about quality of oil used and how the car is driven. Can be resolved with 63 motorsports stage 1 plates. Did all 4 of mine 5k ago and even though wear was not to crazy it was still enough for the quick start up noise when car sat for longer then 4 days which ate up two lifters and wore out 1 lobe from each intake cam. So then I also did all black series lifters and intake cams and now car is as smooth as butter @120k.

So I will have to buy 4x cam plates to completely safeguard it for the future?

M156 Cam plates <—— These?

It sounds like I should get the full kit for both banks right?

And these to go along?

Adjuster bolts

Sorry, I am still quite new to the performance car scene, thanks for all your help! Also, should I try to keep driving to a minimal and have it towed to a shop? or is it just a startup problem?

Thanks so much

Last edited by Freedoms; 08-14-2023 at 12:54 PM.