Sponsored by:

Hep with P0019 Cam Code Pleaase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e55 amg
Hep with P0019 Cam Code Pleaase

2009 C63 AMG. I've kept it in great condition and try to get things sorted as soon as they creep up. This one however seems easy on the surface but is really bugging me.

P0019 code Cam sensor Bank 2 Position 2. From What I understand this is pass side exhaust cam sensor. I ordered the Bosch part and replaced it. To note when I took the old part it out did have a score mark on it. https://ibb.co/Y3fzLJ9

Code did not resolve. Though before if I tried clearing the code it would come right back on. Now I clear the code start the car light stays off, but comes back on with restart.

I don't want to just throw parts at the problem. I don't think it's a balance shaft or timing guide issue as I have zero rattle or noise ever. Engine is smooth and quite cold start, warm start etc.

I also read it could be the cam adjustor magnets, and for the life of me, I haven't been able to locate this part in any catalog. Checking the front of the engine can't see the magnets there either.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm not ready to bring it to a shop yet. I also have an icarsoft 3.0 scanner if that helps
Old 09-21-2023, 09:59 AM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
2013 C63
Isn't bank 2 the left side (driver) of the engine?
The following users liked this post:
graphitegreyamg (09-23-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 06:58 PM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
Perhaps the timing plate has moved too far? Not sure about yours but my '16 M278 and similar engines have an issue with that because the plate is just pressed on the cam, and over time it tends to move. At some point it'll throw a code. If you think maybe this is the case then I'd check the cam timing before start and at idle. On my car, before start, it reads cam positions despite no data, so it's assuming the perfect positions which in my case are 36 Int & -25 Ex. Once it starts and gets data it gives what it actually sees. In my case 35.1, 37.7 & 24.7 23.4, so you can see it's not perfect, but close enough imo.
The 36 & -25 are the Int fully retarded and Ex fully advanced. Since the Int reads both adv and ret from that, I assume idle is not shooting for 36, but instead simply commanding fully retarded. Once rpm and/or load increase a little bit it'll start trying to hit the programmed #'s. So this test is a good way, imo, to see how far the cam plates are off. Of course there's chain stretch and what not, and some ECU programmed adjustments to compensate for that, but on my car this is what I see when looking at the live data.

There is also a Catalyst heating mode that retards the Ex when in Cat mode, which is basically impossible to predict but you'll see it switch back n forth. Mine will switch to Cat mode ~5 seconds after start, then Off after ~30sec, then randomly On/Off whenever it feels like it. When mine turns Off after that first 30sec my Cat temp is <200F, so when I say whenever it feels like it, I mean it.
Your Ex retards 20deg in Cat mode, from -15 to 5. Mine only retards 10deg, from -25 to -15, and pops in/out of cat mode so often, and at the worst times, so I disabled it.

Looking at your cam timing I thought -15 was your fully advanced Ex position, which makes sense to me, but I see in one cell it says -16.9... Aside from really weird why that one cell, and why not a round #, I thought maybe an error? So I checked a 2010 car and same exact #'s. If not an error then yours likely goes to -18, maybe as much as -22. So check with Ign On, eng Off and see what it says.
This pix is of some else's '09 M156, so when I say "your cam timing" I'm assuming it's the same as yours
Maybe some M156 people who know more can school me if I have any of the above wrong, but I'm only "pretty sure" about it, not certain :p Like I assume it'll read the max positions when Ign On eng Off, simply because mine do. And I'm very suspicious of that -16.9 in the 10x900 cell.

I know nothing about the scanner you have, so if it can't read cam positions then the cheapest way is to get a cheapo little blue OBD dongle on Amazon for ~$10 and the Torque Pro app. It should be able to read all 4 cams at once, and record it for play back later.