C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No codes, no start, cranks (almost starts)...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 c63 amg
No codes, no start, cranks (almost starts)...

hey guys new to the forum and glad to be here.

Im picking up a 09 C63 AMG (japan imported) and it has 113,000 miles on it....so here is the story.

I went to visit the car owner to check the car, when i try to start the car the car cranks fine but does not start, so the owner says a little while ago he had an issue with the cam gear on passenger side, the car ran fine for 3 days, then the drivers side cam gear went bad and now the car doesnt start and has been sitting for a while now since he doesnt have the time or cash to fix it.

So he says its definitely the cam gear that needs replacing on drivers side and it will be fine....im not sure about that.

here is what i know so far,the battery was fine there was power, now its dead due to cranking so much, the throttle connector was unplugged, plugged that in, no difference. Now the fuel light is on when i switch to electronics. The cam gear on the driver's side spins i checked with the oil cap off. The fuse box was replaced by the owner thinking that was the issue but it wasnt. 2 coil packs and a start were replaced also, no difference.

Whats even weird now is that there are no codes showing.....so here are my questions:

Can the car not start due to a bad adjuster plate? Maybe the pin is not catching the hole when plate is spinning causing it to not start?
Is there something else i should check? I'd really like to get it alive again and i've always wanted a W204 C63 and this is my first.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated while its sitting as i cant move the car.

Video of me trying to start the car it as about to start after charging the battery, even if it was a full battery it wouldnt start but crank, crank, crank but wants to start -
Old 03-08-2024, 02:20 PM

2009 c63 amg
Update, these are the codes sent to me by the owner's mechanic with his diagnostic tool, so by the looks of it the passenger side adjuster plate is bad and causing the misfire?

Old 03-14-2024, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
a bad camshaft adjuster will not prevent the vehicle from starting. You need to look into the intake manifold pressure sensor and exhaust camshaft position sensor - short to ground faults. Either they are unplugged, wiring damage or faulty parts. particularly the intake one. I've never tested it but i'd imagine the car will start missing 1 of the 4 camshaft position sensors.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:03 AM

2009 c63 amg
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
a bad camshaft adjuster will not prevent the vehicle from starting. You need to look into the intake manifold pressure sensor and exhaust camshaft position sensor - short to ground faults. Either they are unplugged, wiring damage or faulty parts. particularly the intake one. I've never tested it but i'd imagine the car will start missing 1 of the 4 camshaft position sensors.
I'll look into the camshaft position sensors and the other 2 also, might have to get new ones of those as they have the updated design for those now and most likely better?

So you're saying the car will start even if 1 of the 4 camshaft sensors was missing? I doubt that as all sensors are needed to be working correctly in order to send the message to the ECU to get the engine running. I dont want to keep having to throw money at it blindly to be honest, i was searching for a newer engine wire harness and found one at a decent price from the UK so its worth putting in an engine wire harness thats not been cut / spliced into.

But main issue is to fix the codes for now. I'll start at the 4 sensors you mentioned, the intake manifold sensor is at the back of the manifold on these engines correct ?
Old 03-15-2024, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
i doubt it needs camshaft sensors. those aren't a normally failing part. you can always swap them and see if the fault follows before wasting money on a new one