Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold restoration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2024 | 08:00 AM

W204 C63
Intake Manifold restoration

Hi All,

I've bought the RMB intake manifold throttle body plate, and while I'm at it, I'm interested to maybe patch any holes, re-paint and seal it.

I've seen some restorations of them, but they didn't mention what type of paint they used or any special sealant to prevent additional corrosion.

Any tips? I know that JB Weld is good to use to seal any holes, I want paint to match the factory colour.

Would something like this work https://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-engine-enamel in Univ. Aluminium SP127?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2024 | 02:27 AM

AMG C63 W204
when i looked into it my basic notes were -> start with alodine aka bonderite (metal pre-treatment) , chromate conversion coating e.g. alodine. Then apply paint and Rustoleum High Heat Paint (1200 degreees F rated) Brake caliper paint could also work as its high temp by nature, or most things from VHT. Anything that you can find which is rated for high temp will do the job!
Use loctite 5970 if the old gasket or seal is no longer usable. If there are cracks or small holes in the manifold then can use 'FEVICOL Fast Steel Epoxy' or JB Weld.

The following users liked this post:
mthis (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024 | 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
I second that, what most people do is just clean and paint and these are magnesium alloy which is most of the issue as it corrodes easier and fast it seems than aluminum, so just covering it with paint without proper surface prep may make it worse over time. I would highly recommend the bonderite magnesium product (M-CR or alodine as it is referred to) which will conversion coat the bare metal properly to convert the exposed layer to a protective layer then coat with paint and it should last a long time.
The following users liked this post:
Joshinator99 (09-06-2024)