C63 AMG (W206) 2022 - (Upcoming AMG)

Some possible news on new AMGs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 09:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'18 AMG C63S coupe
Lightbulb Some possible news on new AMGs

Saw this today, lots of new stuff coming. A lot of AMGs with electric motors assisting engines.

C63e coming up in 2022 with M139 (the same 2.0t in 45/45s) with 522 PS (around 514 HP)

GT73 & S73 coming with same V8 and extra electric motors delivering 800+ HP
Old 08-23-2020, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
😮
Old 08-24-2020, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1995 E320 Wagon
Saw this too. Check out the vid from Mr. AMG.
It's the wave of the future I guess. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
A black car
Eh, I'll believe the 4 cylinder C63 when I see it. According to that chart it's being released at the beginning of 2022. In 2026 the EU7 regulations come into effect which limits the HP per liter that engine can output. Porsche has said that this means that manufacturers will have to increase displacement or decrease power. MB will have to either add on more electrical tech, decrease power levels, or put in a bigger engine to keep the C63 power levels the same. The easiest thing to do is just keep the V8.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,561 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Eh, I'll believe the 4 cylinder C63 when I see it. According to that chart it's being released at the beginning of 2022. In 2026 the EU7 regulations come into effect which limits the HP per liter that engine can output. Porsche has said that this means that manufacturers will have to increase displacement or decrease power. MB will have to either add on more electrical tech, decrease power levels, or put in a bigger engine to keep the C63 power levels the same. The easiest thing to do is just keep the V8.
The EU7 regulations are designed to coerce manufacturers to go even more electric and I haven't yet found what the hp/l limit is in EU7. From the chart it looks like they detuned the engine to under 400 hp. Upsizing will bring the CO2 up, which has to be mitigated again. In that Porsche interview where this was brought, up they are saying they would have to put in massive cats to compensate for the increased CO2. AMG doesn't have to pass EU7 rules with the next C63 for another 4 years. By then they can just detune the engine further if necessary and put a bigger or second electric motor in it. Porsche on the other hand is so far resisting a hybrid powertrain for the 911, although the 992 would support it. AMG is already making the switch, so they are not going back to pure internal combustion engine. They'll just go more and more electrified, which is the whole point of EU7. Here's the thing. Adding a 20kW battery and an electric motor is a lot of weight on top of the existing V8. Not gonna happen unless they can save that weight elsewhere. The next C63 is gonna be electrified, that's pretty much a given. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-25-2020 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1995 E320 Wagon
I think the writing is on the wall for the V8 sadly. Trade rags all seem to be reporting the same thing. Some sort of Frankenstein's monster of combustion/electric is coming. You can see early signs of it in the new A45 and GLE 53. IMHO, I think the 2018 (US) AMG E Class was the sweet spot for this V8. It didn't have rev limiters nor has the sound been dampened to adhere to EU laws. Conclusion, the window is closing for the M178.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
A black car
The issue I have with all the magazine reports is that they’re all repeating the same Autocar story from last year. No one is adding anything new to it and Autocar hasn’t followed up on the story.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Annoying, one of the main attractions to AMG is that they are the "German Muscle Car," the V8 is one of the biggest advantages to the competition set, especially the exhaust, its one of the reasons I'm looking at getting a W205 or W213 AMG after my CLS. Also why are they putting all these 4-cylinders in the SL too, one of their most historic nameplates! If anything they should at least be using the M256 I6 motor instead, it would make sense too since the original 300SL used a straight-six too but it looks like its either expensive base trim with a 4-cylinder or shell out even more money for a proper AMG v8 (serious face palm). AMG should test the waters before they actually start putting these 4-pots in everything. Its ok in the A/CLA, but the C and now the AMG GT and SL, its getting a bit ridiculous. Also what was the point of developing the M256 if they are just going to jump from 4 to 8-cylinders as options?
Old 09-03-2020, 09:22 PM

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
2021 C63s Sedan
I ordered a fully loaded 2020 C63s back in April but in July they said that my order got kicked back because MB is rolling their product into the 2021 models due to all this COVID mess. I was worried at first because the whole reason I ordered in April was to avoid the possible allocation closing so I wasn't stuck having to find one without all the features and having to pay full price for something I don't want. I was able to work out a DE1 discount (12.25%) off MSRP. I got lucky because the sales rep I was speaking to back in December was furloughed by the time I went back in April to put the order in and I told them that he was going to give me the discount and if they won't honor it I would go back to shopping around. They were trying to charge me 100k... after the discount it will come up to around 87k after fees not including financing. The 2021 model will be the same all they did was make the moonroof standard and one other thing as well as removed the LED projector lamps that shine the AMG iogo on the ground and the rear sun shade. Interior & exterior stays the same. Dealership told me 2021 model will begin product end of September & deliver by November (fingers) crossed. I am out of Atlanta, GA USA and I know these C63s's are assembled in Alabama, USA. engine is made in Germany but shipped to the US to be assembled with car. If anyone else has one on order please respond and keep me updated.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'18 AMG C63S coupe
Originally Posted by Milap Patel
I ordered a fully loaded 2020 C63s back in April but in July they said that my order got kicked back because MB is rolling their product into the 2021 models due to all this COVID mess. I was worried at first because the whole reason I ordered in April was to avoid the possible allocation closing so I wasn't stuck having to find one without all the features and having to pay full price for something I don't want. I was able to work out a DE1 discount (12.25%) off MSRP. I got lucky because the sales rep I was speaking to back in December was furloughed by the time I went back in April to put the order in and I told them that he was going to give me the discount and if they won't honor it I would go back to shopping around. They were trying to charge me 100k... after the discount it will come up to around 87k after fees not including financing. The 2021 model will be the same all they did was make the moonroof standard and one other thing as well as removed the LED projector lamps that shine the AMG iogo on the ground and the rear sun shade. Interior & exterior stays the same. Dealership told me 2021 model will begin product end of September & deliver by November (fingers) crossed. I am out of Atlanta, GA USA and I know these C63s's are assembled in Alabama, USA. engine is made in Germany but shipped to the US to be assembled with car. If anyone else has one on order please respond and keep me updated.
Thank you for sharing this, it's good to know cuz countless websites are stating "the 2021 C63's gonna be 4-pot next gen". Guess the leak was right, the W206 is only coming out in 2022.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:18 PM

2021 C63s Sedan
I just got my PO# & confirmation on my 2021 C63s build beginning production yesterday! They said it should be here in November.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:19 PM

2021 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by frankshhh
Thank you for sharing this, it's good to know cuz countless websites are stating "the 2021 C63's gonna be 4-pot next gen". Guess the leak was right, the W206 is only coming out in 2022.
Just got my PO# & confirmation on my build beginning production. They said it will be here in November !
Old 12-12-2020, 09:05 PM

2021 C63s Sedan
Update: It is on the ship and headed towards New York. My dealer has been giving me the run around. The car finished production on 11/8 I checked this by using the vin decoder. It has been on the ship since mid November coming from South Africa, going up the coast of Africa stopping at a few ports, went to Spain, France, Belgium & just left Germany two days ago. It looks like it won't be until early/mid jan before it arrives at the dealership. Also, they have stopped taking allocations for the w205 2021 models at least for the sedans, you still have a small window to get a coupe probably so if any of you are looking to order I would ASAP!! Otherwise you are stuck in the allocations for the w206 whenever that comes out but won't be for probably a year.