C63 AMG (W206) 2022 - (Upcoming AMG)

2023 C43 Transmission Unacceptable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 09:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 43 AMG, C300, E350 C43 AMG
W206 2023 C43 AMG - Reporting on the the resolution of the extremely jerky shifting in the lower gears: Had an appointment with the dealer but I decided to try resetting the trans control unit (TCU), and then drive normally for a while for it to 're-program' itself. After having done so and driving for a couple of weeks, to verify, I can report that the car now shifts as expected, very smoothly.....my only thought as to the initial cause of the problem was that when I first picked the car up from the dealership, I was immediately playing around, a lot, with the auto-stop/start function and all the various driving modes, right from the get-go....I suspect that some driving patterns were 'learned' that caused me problems when driving like my wife wants me to drive all the time - conservatively but not too exciting.......This is speculation of course, but the results are compelling - resetting the TCU fixed my jerky shifting and also seemed to help as to when the auto-start/stop engages and disengages.. To reset TCU on this car, hit the start button twice, (second position) but do not start the car. Once all the dash lights turn on, floor the throttle pedal and keep it floored for 10-15 seconds - With the throttle still floored hit the start button again to turn everything off. Once everything is off, release the throttle pedal. Leave the car alone for 5 minutes for some internal TCU 'magic' to happen.....then start driving normally again giving the TCU the opportunity to get to know you a little better ;o) (You can find many links on the 'net with appropriate TCU reset instructions for your specific vehicle, make, model and year.)
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 10:06 AM

Received 160 Likes on 128 Posts
AMG
This is super helpful for those who have problems. Thanks. I can also add that since it's a wet clutch tranny, it's a good idea to wait until the temperature goes up before you engage in spirited driving.
If you go to temp indicator (3 temp graphs) the first one is the one to pay attention to.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by dhspencer71
W206 2023 C43 AMG - Reporting on the the resolution of the extremely jerky shifting in the lower gears: Had an appointment with the dealer but I decided to try resetting the trans control unit (TCU), and then drive normally for a while for it to 're-program' itself. After having done so and driving for a couple of weeks, to verify, I can report that the car now shifts as expected, very smoothly.....my only thought as to the initial cause of the problem was that when I first picked the car up from the dealership, I was immediately playing around, a lot, with the auto-stop/start function and all the various driving modes, right from the get-go....I suspect that some driving patterns were 'learned' that caused me problems when driving like my wife wants me to drive all the time - conservatively but not too exciting.......This is speculation of course, but the results are compelling - resetting the TCU fixed my jerky shifting and also seemed to help as to when the auto-start/stop engages and disengages.. To reset TCU on this car, hit the start button twice, (second position) but do not start the car. Once all the dash lights turn on, floor the throttle pedal and keep it floored for 10-15 seconds - With the throttle still floored hit the start button again to turn everything off. Once everything is off, release the throttle pedal. Leave the car alone for 5 minutes for some internal TCU 'magic' to happen.....then start driving normally again giving the TCU the opportunity to get to know you a little better ;o) (You can find many links on the 'net with appropriate TCU reset instructions for your specific vehicle, make, model and year.)
This is a variation of the urban myth surrounding transmission "resets". None work, they are all placebo procedures. There is no WIS procedure for "resetting" the transmission control unit. The only way to do this on an MB is to reset adaptations (MB terminology) using XENTRY. Posting MB documentation to this thread would be a basis to revisit the statement.

Last edited by chassis; 11-24-2023 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
The procedure above may have worked for older transmissions, but as far as I know the only way to properly reset the adaptations with the newer transmissions is as said through XENTRY. For the most part, these transmissions continually adapt. Over time they will adapt to your driving style and it isn't for no reason that AMG states in the break-in instructions to leave it in Comfort mode during the break-in. That's so that it can learn the baseline properly. If you disregarded this, then drive it in Comfort mode for 1000 miles and see if it improves.

I had two issues with the 9-speed MCT in my C63 and they went away on their own by simply following instructions. The first one was that initially I didn't do much city driving. I did European delivery and mostly blasted around the Autobahn for the first 6000 miles, so in the cities it shifted rough and particularly it insisted on downshifting to 1st gear before I came to a stop. This all went away after I did more city driving in Comfort mode once the car had arrived in the USA. The second one was regular jolts after a cold start going from P to R or P to D. This also was my doing by not putting the transmission in P before turning off the engine and instead relying on it going to P automatically. This caused it to never adapt the initial P to R and P to D engagement. There's a TSB for this. After I started putting it in P explicitly it took about a week for the issue to disappear. I now always put it in P myself and it's been smooth sailing since.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-24-2023 at 03:14 PM.
chassis (11-24-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 06:53 PM

Legend or not, it is my reality, and it completely resolved my problem.
Old 01-25-2024, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG C43
Originally Posted by Venturep
The transmission is killing this car for me. I mostly love the car and have put on 4000 miles. However, even in comfort the transmission will clunk so hard my passenger is thrown forward on the 1-2 or 2-1 shift, or it will fail to shift down to 1 and stay in 2 with a very slow spool up. I have also seen the hard clunk in other driving such as a 4-3 shift after a throttle relax in normal street driving. There is no excuse for this kind of performance, as other dual clutch transmissions are far better. It's going into the dealer, but multiple reviews mention hard shifting (I now know just how hard), making me wonder if it's just a bad design. Anyone else seeing this? Any advice?
I purchased a 2023 C43 last May. My car currently has 6000 miles. My car is in the shop for a 2nd time right now for the same issue. I experienced the exact same issue as @Venturep described where the car physically jerks the driver/passenger and you can visibly see the car dip in the back when coming off a complete stop between 1st and 2nd gear. The issue is 100% reproducible in any mode (comfort, s,s+). I can take off by easing on the gas or accelerating aggressively, warm transmission, cold transmission, after coming to a full stop at a red traffic light....it doesn't matter how I drive it . I have also noticed a slight jerk when downshifting from 6 to 5. More recently I also notice the car is slow to respond to acceleration at all from a full stop.

The first time the dealer had my car for 29 days with a "PTSS" case open with Mercedes corporate. They "retrained" the car per instructions from Mercedes. It drove better for 500 miles, then the problem came back. I was told Tues Jan 23,2024 that Mercedes still doesn't have the software update and there is no ETA. There is a Mercedes TIPS CASE LI27.60-P-076554 open for the issue.

I am going to reach out to Mercedes corporate and put on some pressure. One more time and Mercedes is taking this car back. Queuing up a lawyer.

Last edited by Ndwitt; 01-25-2024 at 03:32 PM.
sab062268 (02-29-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Ndwitt
I purchased a 2023 C43 last May. My car currently has 6000 miles. My car is in the shop for a 2nd time right now for the same issue. I experienced the exact same issue as @Venturep described where the car physically jerks the driver/passenger and you can visibly see the car dip in the back when coming off a complete stop between 1st and 2nd gear. The issue is 100% reproducible in any mode (comfort, s,s+). I can take off by easing on the gas or accelerating aggressively, warm transmission, cold transmission, after coming to a full stop at a red traffic light....it doesn't matter how I drive it . I have also noticed a slight jerk when downshifting from 6 to 5. More recently I also notice the car is slow to respond to acceleration at all from a full stop.

The first time the dealer had my car for 29 days with a "PTSS" case open with Mercedes corporate. They "retrained" the car per instructions from Mercedes. It drove better for 500 miles, then the problem came back. I was told Tues Jan 23,2024 that Mercedes still doesn't have the software update and there is no ETA. There is a Mercedes TIPS CASE LI27.60-P-076554 open for the issue.

I am going to reach out to Mercedes corporate and put on some pressure. One more time and Mercedes is taking this car back. Queuing up a lawyer.
Mercedes Corporate is the worst branch of any customer service I've ever experienced. I hope you have patience and goodluck.

If I could get back the time I have wasted contacting I'd have never bothered at all.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:50 PM

The problem is back, Ndwitt described it perfectly. Making another appointment with the dealer.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:29 AM

AMG
Just out of curiosity, do you guys with transmission problems ever drive in a spirited manner, like fast acceleration either from the stop or a roll and at high speeds?
Old 01-26-2024, 09:31 AM

One of my other cars is a Porsche so I have been known to have a lead foot ..however not with this car....as the transmission shifting mode is too unpredictable. It seems like every time I drive it, it can either be relatively smooth or abysmally bad, very rough, that said mostly it's pretty rough. Something is just not right with the design or electronics, or both. Loss for words re MB quality standards on this model...
DanEversATL (03-28-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 04:18 PM

W206
I have the same issue. The transmission is unpredictable. It is a holly crap let say......it drops the clutch in case of downshifting like a rookie driver.....very disappointed in general about the quality of the car as well
dhspencer71 (01-26-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w206 c43
Thanks @Ndwitt and please keep us posted

we got the w206 c43 around dec 2023 and we experienced the exact same issues you describned after driving it for a month:

- jerky 1st to 2nd shift, anything after 2nd gear felt fine
- extreme lag on acceleration from standstill, almost like the acceleration isn't proportional at all especially with auto-start-stop (the moment you let go of the brake > engine starts > foot on gas, pressing 30% does almost nothing to the car and if you press it by another bit it engages & launches the car hard)

the auto-stop-start also isn't very intuitive. the engine shuts off when the car is still rolling prior to coming to a complete stop, and when it comes to a full stop, the engine starts again

Originally Posted by Ndwitt

Old 04-05-2024, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW M340i
I took the car in again this week because the jerky shift issue came back again. Dealership service refused to fix it for the second time. They said they want to wait for the software update which has no ETA. I was shocked.

Did anyone have the same experience?

dhspencer71 (06-20-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 05:27 AM

W206
Mine was in service for the same reason. The problem was mainly that during downshifting for example when I slowed down to a crossroad it was dropping the clutch so dramatically that I was almost faced with my head the front windscreen. In higher shift it was not so bad. ....

So the service said that immediately that it is truly terrible after they tried it. It was in the service for 2-3 days and they said that it had to be "relearned" which is a process which every transmission has to gone through but for some reason mine was not successfully done. So they relearned or reteach the transmission. I asked whether they uploaded any new software and they said that no, there is no new software availabile it is purely about reteaching it....

Now it is much, much better. I would not say that it is perfect but if this had been the case originally I might have not even complained about that just accept it.

Last edited by oncsy; 04-07-2024 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:32 AM

W206
For the engine shuts off which I was also comlaining about I was told that accoring to the regulations it must be shut off below 11km/h if your leg is of the gas pedal....they cannot change it, they suggest to turn off the automatic shut off function below the start/stop bottom.
Old 06-20-2024, 11:29 AM

Agree, same problems, took car in to MB again, April 2024, they had the trans "re-program" itself, did nothing else. Problems still exist and now I have terrible "drop-the-clutch" downshifts, worse than before.....They tell me I have to wait for a MB software upgrade.....still waiting. In the mean-time I just changed the oil at 6000 miles and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get into the Workshop mode to reset the Service A interval. Spent two-hours on the net viewing DIY videos and nothing seems to work, so frustrating.

Also one more tidbit of info - I purchased an highend ODBC scanner (Youcanic ~ $500) to read my diagnostics and after spending hours on the phone with the Youcanic tech support team we came to realize that MB encrypts the ODBC datastream so the only way it can be accessed is by using a MB reader, at the dealership...I'm just beyond belief here!

Last edited by dhspencer71; 06-20-2024 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-20-2024, 01:25 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by dhspencer71
Agree, same problems, took car in to MB again, April 2024, they had the trans "re-program" itself, did nothing else. Problems still exist and now I have terrible "drop-the-clutch" downshifts, worse than before.....They tell me I have to wait for a MB software upgrade.....still waiting. In the mean-time I just changed the oil at 6000 miles and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get into the Workshop mode to reset the Service A interval. Spent two-hours on the net viewing DIY videos and nothing seems to work, so frustrating.

Also one more tidbit of info - I purchased an highend ODBC scanner (Youcanic ~ $500) to read my diagnostics and after spending hours on the phone with the Youcanic tech support team we came to realize that MB encrypts the ODBC datastream so the only way it can be accessed is by using a MB reader, at the dealership...I'm just beyond belief here!
right, I already said in one the threads here that no reader works on W206 and W223. I am not sure you'd be able to reset the Service either.
dhspencer71 (06-20-2024)