C63 AMG (W206) 2022 - (Upcoming AMG)

Got to Drive the C63 AMG W206 demo car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2024, 08:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,512 Likes on 2,136 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by CarlosAMGBR
I dont understand as well why AMG went on this direction and why it also made its Hybrid system so damn complicated (two speeds, e-turbo) and so on. The complications actually affect the experience overall.

The theatre of the V8 AMG is gone in the C63. There is no theatre, its all engineering. It does not feel special, unless ringed out to 11/10 and even then its not as good to drive as the W205. Its fun when driven hard, but not close to what the W205 could provide in entertainment. The main disappointment is the engine noise and torque delivery compared to the W205.

I agree with you on all counts. I much rather own a RS5 or M3 to the new C63. Its a compromised car. But it has some upsides, it is economical and its a feasible dd for those who dont need a large boot.
Well, no one buys a C 63 AMG and talk about fuel economy so economical is really not a selling point in my opinion. You can't enjoy an C 63 AMG while being light footed, you don't get smiles at all defeats the purpose.
Old 07-15-2024, 08:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Spot on assessment. It feels like driving a C300 unless driven hard. Its too complicated as well, the two speed hybrid system that causes gaps in acceleration, the overly boosted 4cyl.

Then theres the harsh ride. The 10s performance, is a complicated aspect. Its hard to be in any situation where you can press the gas for more than the 10s, and I havent felt that decrease in performance while driving, but yeah I am sure in the top end the V8 will beat this thing (for the autobahn drivers)

The GT63 Coupe does not seem that promising either. Too heavy, higher center of gravity, cheaper platform, no more transaxle transmission.

To me it feels like AMG is milking the brand. The C63 should be a C43 or something, the GT63 Coupe, should be a C63 Coupe not a GT63.
You have the exact same assessment as the guys at youtube throttlehouse, they say the GT 63 should had been the new C 63:

I also agree the C 63 should just had been the C 43 and the C 63 should had at least (very least) get the powertrain the W213 E 53 gets but with more power.
Old 07-15-2024, 09:07 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
A45 AMG
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
You have the exact same assessment as the guys at youtube throttlehouse, they say the GT 63 should had been the new C 63:

I also agree the C 63 should just had been the C 43 and the C 63 should had at least (very least) get the powertrain the W213 E 53 gets but with more power.

I saw their video for the GT63, and I 100% concur.
I think the GT63 Coupe is a huge disappointment. I was one that considered it an option, until I saw the reviews and what they did to it. Its not a sucessor to the AMG GT, its platform is compromised, its cheaper built, its made to make profit, not to be a sports car. I still can not fathom that they removed the dry sump, changed the engine placement, removed the transaxle transmission and added 800lbs. To me its mind boggling. Its a reflection of the screw the customer, lets make money off our brand.

I love AMG, but I am disappointed in some of their latest stuff. Although I gotta say the C63 was better than I expected but maybe my expectations were too low.

Last edited by CarlosAMGBR; 07-15-2024 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2024, 09:12 AM

A45 AMG
Well, no one buys a C 63 AMG and talk about fuel economy so economical is really not a selling point in my opinion. You can't enjoy an C 63 AMG while being light footed, you don't get smiles at all defeats the purpose.
I agree. Its a shame. And I can not understand as they made the thing so damn heavy too. 2.2 tonnes without a large battery and 4cyl. How much will the V8 CLE63 and new C63 weigh?
Old 07-15-2024, 10:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

I agree. Its a shame. And I can not understand as they made the thing so damn heavy too. 2.2 tonnes without a large battery and 4cyl. How much will the V8 CLE63 and new C63 weigh?
I saw their video for the GT63, and I 100% concur.
I think the GT63 Coupe is a huge disappointment. I was one that considered it an option, until I saw the reviews and what they did to it. Its not a sucessor to the AMG GT, its platform is compromised, its cheaper built, its made to make profit, not to be a sports car. I still can not fathom that they removed the dry sump, changed the engine placement, removed the transaxle transmission and added 800lbs. To me its mind boggling. Its a reflection of the screw the customer, lets make money off our brand.

I love AMG, but I am disappointed in some of their latest stuff. Although I gotta say the C63 was better than I expected but maybe my expectations were too low.
For sure
Old 07-15-2024, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,568 Posts
2019 C63CS
AMG milking the brand is spot on. In principal I like the new GT63 because in many ways it's what the C205 C63 was, except for the inexplicable ~400 lbs weight gain and double the price. The GT63 PRO they just announced has got to be the most blatant money making scheme. No weight savings over the normal GT63 aside from what you can already do by leaving out the rear seats and optioning the CCBs, and still no dry sump. It's not even remotely what the previous PRO was. Also why does it need water cooled differentials? Is that an admission that 4Matic+ doesn't cope on the track otherwise?

Leave it to Porsche to do performance hybrid right in the new t-hybrid. Instead of downsizing the engine, they made it larger and the result is a super responsive hybrid powertrain. Not only that, but they actually improved emissions by running the engine always at lambda=1. For those who don't know what that means, it means the engine always runs with a perfect air/fuel ratio. Never lean and never rich. Much simpler setup and it actually made the 911 better and adds less than 100 lbs. Also, it's available as RWD and AWD as it should be. Don't force AWD on everybody.
Old 07-15-2024, 11:16 AM

A45 AMG
Originally Posted by superswiss
AMG milking the brand is spot on. In principal I like the new GT63 because in many ways it's what the C205 C63 was, except for the inexplicable ~400 lbs weight gain and double the price. The GT63 PRO they just announced has got to be the most blatant money making scheme. No weight savings over the normal GT63 aside from what you can already do by leaving out the rear seats and optioning the CCBs, and still no dry sump. It's not even remotely what the previous PRO was. Also why does it need water cooled differentials? Is that an admission that 4Matic+ doesn't cope on the track otherwise?

Leave it to Porsche to do performance hybrid right in the new t-hybrid. Instead of downsizing the engine, they made it larger and the result is a super responsive hybrid powertrain. Not only that, but they actually improved emissions by running the engine always at lambda=1. For those who don't know what that means, it means the engine always runs with a perfect air/fuel ratio. Never lean and never rich. Much simpler setup and it actually made the 911 better and adds less than 100 lbs. Also, it's available as RWD and AWD as it should be. Don't force AWD on everybody.
I can understand the increase in weight from the C63 Coupe to the AMG GT 63 (4WD and 4WS will add weight plus MHEV), but the thing is, the past AMG GT was a completely different car both in philosophy and dynamics. I for one had thought that they would not touch it, and change the philosphy of the car, and boy oh boy, was I wrong. AMG no longer is interested in what the customer wants. I made a post complaining in the AMG PL and they banned me, this pretty much says it all.

They are milking the brand off their reputation and putting out whatever they want that can maximize their profit. The GT 63 AMG to me was the clear exposition of "f... it" lets just launch whatever we want, so we can make money. The price of the GT 63, the SL 63. and even for that matter the 4cyl C63 is inexplicable. The GT63 is essentially a C 63 Coupe AWD with a USD 70k premium (even the platform is the same as the W206), no longer a separate platform to ordinay Mercedes.

Porsche surprised me with their solution. So clever, and efficient. I am glad to see that some manufacturers still offer what the customer want (Porsche has the full on fat PHEV cars, and the non PHEV cars, and the brilliant hybrid system in the 911).
The following 2 users liked this post by CarlosAMGBR:
5ilver-5urfer (07-15-2024), superswiss (07-15-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 03:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

I can understand the increase in weight from the C63 Coupe to the AMG GT 63 (4WD and 4WS will add weight plus MHEV), but the thing is, the past AMG GT was a completely different car both in philosophy and dynamics. I for one had thought that they would not touch it, and change the philosphy of the car, and boy oh boy, was I wrong. AMG no longer is interested in what the customer wants. I made a post complaining in the AMG PL and they banned me, this pretty much says it all.

They are milking the brand off their reputation and putting out whatever they want that can maximize their profit. The GT 63 AMG to me was the clear exposition of "f... it" lets just launch whatever we want, so we can make money. The price of the GT 63, the SL 63. and even for that matter the 4cyl C63 is inexplicable. The GT63 is essentially a C 63 Coupe AWD with a USD 70k premium (even the platform is the same as the W206), no longer a separate platform to ordinay Mercedes.

Porsche surprised me with their solution. So clever, and efficient. I am glad to see that some manufacturers still offer what the customer want (Porsche has the full on fat PHEV cars, and the non PHEV cars, and the brilliant hybrid system in the 911).
All great points, can't believe they even banned you, wow!
Old 07-20-2024, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 966 Posts
No more MB:(
All great points, can't believe they even banned you, wow!
The way of the world today, getting canceled/banned if they don't like your opinion.
Old 07-20-2024, 11:33 AM

Received 196 Likes on 151 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Route 66

Would only Lease a Premium Performance Hybrid in the future. Let us know what you think of the GT63 Coupe after your trip to Mercedes Test Center. If it really is a Boat Anchor guess will consider the 2026 GX550 Overtrail for hobbies and pursuits off-road. Would also purchase the GR86 6-stick for RWD Fun on Pavement. No longer desire to own an AMG outside its Factory Warranty at my Age...

Last edited by Drone_S213; 07-20-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2024, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
I'm going to be driving this thing in 2 months at the Mercedes Test Center in Immendingen, so I'll report back after my trip. I'm mainly looking forward to driving the GT63 coupe, though.
I was again literally in the first wave of non MB employees to drive this car earlier this year. It’s nothing like the previous gen, it’s now an actual GT car for an old man driving to a golf course somewhere in Florida.

Old 07-21-2024, 06:06 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2020 C43, 2008 E350
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
I was again literally in the first wave of non MB employees to drive this car earlier this year. It’s nothing like the previous gen, it’s now an actual GT car for an old man driving to a golf course somewhere in Florida.
So basically it became the excitement of a m3 comp but at least its performance exceeds m3 comp.
Old 07-22-2024, 09:48 AM

A45 AMG
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
Man I never though AMG would fiddle and ruin one of their classics like that, but they did.

Its still mind boggling to me what they did to the AMG GT. But I guess the profits make it worthwhile, they butchered everything that made the AMG GT special and turned it into a 4WD C63 Coupe. Joke of a car. Same can be said about the new AMG SL. Another joke.
Old 07-22-2024, 03:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Man I never though AMG would fiddle and ruin one of their classics like that, but they did.

Its still mind boggling to me what they did to the AMG GT. But I guess the profits make it worthwhile, they butchered everything that made the AMG GT special and turned it into a 4WD C63 Coupe. Joke of a car. Same can be said about the new AMG SL. Another joke.
Ugh, AMG, time to rebadge this car and call it the C 63 S, and drop the price, because that is essentially what it really is, and what it should had been, the new C 63.
Old 07-22-2024, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,568 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, the new GT is different. FWIW, it actually lives up to its name now. I've said this before, ironically the previous GT was the least GT AMG sold despite the badge. It was a great track car, but not very usable as a GT. Having said that though, I'm not sure how AMG is gonna position it next to the CLE 63 that's now rumored to be getting the V8. They seem to just overlap way too much and both are heavier than the outgoing C63S Coupe. I have no intention to buy the GT. The price is insane for what it is, but I'm curious to drive it. Wish it was RWD and a lot lighter.
Old 07-22-2024, 08:23 PM

A45 AMG
Yes, the new GT is different. FWIW, it actually lives up to its name now. I've said this before, ironically the previous GT was the least GT AMG sold despite the badge. It was a great track car, but not very usable as a GT. Having said that though, I'm not sure how AMG is gonna position it next to the CLE 63 that's now rumored to be getting the V8. They seem to just overlap way too much and both are heavier than the outgoing C63S Coupe. I have no intention to buy the GT. The price is insane for what it is, but I'm curious to drive it. Wish it was RWD and a lot lighter.
But the AMG GT was the halo car. It was a different breed of animal, something among the lines of an SLS, showing what the brand can do, if they want to make a sports car. This is why it had a Dry Sump, transaxle transmission, carbon fiber chassis frame, trick electronic diff, trick suspension. Now its just another over weight obese coupe AMG V8.

It looks great though, and I guess its not half bad to drive, but its not an AMG GT. Its not special or different. Same can be said about the SL AMG. The previous SL AMG, was an awesome beast (this was AMGs true cruiser, performance bruiser highway car). Now its just an obese roadster without a hardtop.

The quality of Mercedes interior too has deteriorated and downgraded. These cars are way too expensive for what they deliver. You can buy far better 911s for the same price.

Last edited by CarlosAMGBR; 07-22-2024 at 08:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CarlosAMGBR:
NYCSoiL (07-23-2024), places (07-24-2024)