C63 AMG (W206) 2022 - (Upcoming AMG)

W206 C43 DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2024, 11:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
21 c43
W206 C43 DIY Oil Change

Hey everyone, recently picked up a 2024 c43 and have done 1k miles already. Wanted to do a break in oil change and was sick of paying dealer prices on my w205 so I decided to do it myself this time. But boy was I in for a ride, the w206 isn’t as straightforward. For starters, the under tray is metal and not plastic. And the bolts used to affix it are 2 different sizes. The cherry on top is the drain plug isn’t a regular 14mm like every other drain plug. Read below for a detailed guide on how to change your own oil on the w206 c43.

I recommend getting the vehicle up to full operating temperature first as it allows the oil to drain smoother. Once warm, pop the hood and remove the oil filler cap. I like to do this now so I don’t forget when I’m under the car (lets the oil flow out evenly and not splash).

Next, raise the vehicle off the ground. The w206 does not have a central jack point like the w205. You can use a jack and jack stands but you’d have to jack the RR and put a jack stand on the FR, then jack RL and put a jack stand on the FL but the car can teeter-totter and I just don’t feel comfortable doing that. Using ramps was much easier, albeit the harbor freight ones I got were too low so I had to use some wood in front of the ramps to clear the bumper. A lift would be the easiest but this was done in my home garage.

Once the vehicle is raised, use a 16mm socket to remove the front 4 under tray bolts and the rear middle one. Then, use a 13mm socket to remove the remaining 4 rear ones. The under tray also slides in the front with 2 guide tabs, slide the under tray towards the rear of the car and then it will come free. Don’t let it slam down as it is metal and not plastic.

You will see the oil filter and oil pan. The oil filter has a dedicated drain plug. This is optional to remove but makes less of a mess when removing the oil filter. It is a hex 10 bit. The oil filter requires a 24mm socket to remove. Once it breaks loose you can hand loosen until the threads are completely free and then pull down to remove.

The oil drain plug caused a major dilemma for me. Having owned a w205 c43, I was very familiar with Torx bits and fasteners. So when I saw the w206 oil drain plug, I found a Torx bit that fit and tried to loosen it. Inevitably, it spun and I sat there scratching my head. Eventually realized it’s a HEX bit…who would’ve thought a German car uses that but you learn something new every day I guess. It is a hex 6 bit. Had to hammer the bit in there but thankfully the bolt broke loose as soon as I turned the ratchet. (Don’t worry, I bought a new drain plug).

Make sure you have a drain pan below where you’re working under the car and remove the oil filter and oil drain plug. Let everything fully drain. While you’re waiting, replace the oil filter, o ring and crush washer. Once everything is fully drained, tighten the oil filter and oil drain plug. The oil filter housing has the torque specs for the oil filter and the oil filter drain plug, but I couldn’t find torque specs on the oil drain plug. No need to tighten it to lug nut specs, just make sure you can’t hand loosen anything. Also, it is worth mentioning that there were 2 o rings in the oil filter box, the big blue one goes around the oil filter housing but the smaller one I couldn’t figure out where it went, maybe on the oil filter drain plug.

Go back up top and start adding the new oil, I recommend using a funnel. The car takes 6 liters (6.3 quarts) of 0w-20, 229.71. Once done, tighten the filler cap and start the car. Navigate to the service screen and monitor the oil fill level. It might say “measuring” until you move the car a few feet but it should register a level of “max”. Obviously, check for leaks and affix the under tray.

Congratulations, you have just saved hundreds of dollars and do not need to pay the stealership. If there’s one thing you take away from this, it’s that the oil drain plug uses a HEX bit and not Torx. Hope this post is helpful.

Parts used (all OEM):
- 6 liters of MB 229.71 0w-20 oil 000-989-83-02-11-BNXU
- 1 oil filter (includes 2 o rings) 139-180-21-00
- 1 crush washer 007603-014106