Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by Lm3atheb
I have the CCB on my c63s 2015, I have been searching for the front brake pads only and can't find them anywhere online, so do I need to approach the dealer and change the roters and the pads or can i just order the pads ?
Fletcher Jones has a set in stock. i returned mine because the statement of using 50% was wrong by the tech.

Talk to Justin Ringel in service. Tell him i sent you. They know my car well there.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by AMG_Eric
Fletcher Jones has a set in stock. i returned mine because the statement of using 50% was wrong by the tech.

Talk to Justin Ringel in service. Tell him i sent you. They know my car well there.
Thanks mate but I live in Dubai, so usually I order parts online, was wondering if there is any specific part number for the CCB so I can order them online.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by Lm3atheb
Thanks mate but I live in Dubai, so usually I order parts online, was wondering if there is any specific part number for the CCB so I can order them online.
000-420-58-00

cost of the part is $430
Old 03-22-2016, 11:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 W205 Edition 1
Originally Posted by JB C63S
Edition1JPA, are you actually driving a C63 with CCBs? What do you think of them? Noisey? Feel? Worth it?
Hey! Sorry for the really really late reply. I guess I missed this one.

They are great... everyone once in a while they make a lot of noise, but I find that only happens when I don't get on the brakes hard for a while... In the winter time, I try not to get on the brakes too hard because the soft studded tires I run lock up really fast and I don't want to wear them out... Lol

But overall, no complaints.

Now just trying to find another brake pad to use them and maybe an iron rotor replacement for track days.

Also need to find out how much replacement rotors from Mercedes, costs.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rr sport
Does the OEM CCB come with stainless steel break lines?
Old 04-13-2016, 11:58 PM

C63 W205 Edition 1
Hey Guys,

I have been doing a lot of research on brake pads and rotors lately.

Most likely moving away from carbon ceramic brakes in the front and running iron rotors because of replacement costs.

The carbon ceramic brakes will start to oxidize with time if you are tracking the car. Leading to a pretty hefty bill. If you follow the Prosche and Ferrari forums there is a lot of discussion about changing out rotors to iron rotors just for track days.

The Mercedes pads also suck and aren't the most aggressive or rotor friendly. I have been in touch with a number of companies and the only company that has pulled through so far is Carbotech.

Talking with Mike junior over there and he has been great to deal with! Right now they have Xp8, XP10 and XP12 pads that can be used for our vehicles. Just confirming pricing with him right now.

Hope that helps some of you.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Who makes replacement rear pads besides MB?
Old 09-02-2016, 04:46 PM

C63 W205 Edition 1
Originally Posted by JPMBenz
Who makes replacement rear pads besides MB?
Porterfield or Carbotech.

Carbotech has more options in terms of braking compounds and have heard some great things about their pads.

I just ordered a set of XP8's and dealt with Mike Jr. He was great to deal with and really fast getting back to me... I was in a rush to get them before the next track days as my rear pads were low and making a lot of noise.

Turned out that the inside rear pad was actually metal on metal, not brake pad check light as the sensors were on the other side... Looks like Mercedes is replacing my rear rotors and pads on warranty. They should be wearing evenly, caliper was not releasing properly. I will switch out the rear pads for the next race day.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by Edition1JPA
Porterfield or Carbotech.

Carbotech has more options in terms of braking compounds and have heard some great things about their pads.

I just ordered a set of XP8's and dealt with Mike Jr. He was great to deal with and really fast getting back to me... I was in a rush to get them before the next track days as my rear pads were low and making a lot of noise.

Turned out that the inside rear pad was actually metal on metal, not brake pad check light as the sensors were on the other side... Looks like Mercedes is replacing my rear rotors and pads on warranty. They should be wearing evenly, caliper was not releasing properly. I will switch out the rear pads for the next race day.

StopTech apparently makes them as well. Did you email them? I tried calling them now but didn't get a response.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:00 PM

C63 W205 Edition 1
StopTech apparently makes them as well. Did you email them? I tried calling them now but didn't get a response.
Called them last week, no answer. If you do manage to get a hold of them, see if they are making replacement rotors for the front Carbon Ceramics! I'm getting nervous tracking the car with them... I would prefer not to spend $12k replacing rotors.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 C63 S Coupe
Update....Stoptech ONLY makes front brake pads. I installed them today. The part number is 104.12910. You can buy them from Tire Rack. The fronts are around $56.00

CarboTech is in the process of making the rears; the cost for the rears is around $250.00

Last edited by JPMBenz; 09-07-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
RB offers the following options:

1. 400mm front iron rotor replacement for swapping factory CCB to iron.
2. 390mm Carbon Ceramic front rotor kit directly replacing factory iron rotor (use OE red calipers.
3. 360mm rear CCB rotors upgrade OE iron rotors
4. 360mm rear light weight two piece rotor replacing OE heavy 1 pc rotor.
5. Complete brake system built with RB 6/4 piston caliper brake kits

RacingBrake has complete brake option for your C63 whether you are looking for just replacement, or upgrading.

CCM Rotor Kit:
http://www.racingbrake.com/C63-AMG-C...AMG-s/7219.htm

Iron Rotor Replacement & Brake Kit:
http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7261.htm

We also have excellent brake pads to go with the rotor kit (except the rear pad for floating OE calipers).

PM or call us at 714-871-6392
Old 09-16-2016, 10:08 PM

C63 W205 Edition 1
Originally Posted by RacingBrake
RB offers the following options:

1. 400mm front iron rotor replacement for swapping factory CCB to iron.
2. 390mm Carbon Ceramic front rotor kit directly replacing factory iron rotor (use OE red calipers.
3. 360mm rear CCB rotors upgrade OE iron rotors
4. 360mm rear light weight two piece rotor replacing OE heavy 1 pc rotor.
5. Complete brake system built with RB 6/4 piston caliper brake kits

RacingBrake has complete brake option for your C63 whether you are looking for just replacement, or upgrading.

CCM Rotor Kit:
http://www.racingbrake.com/C63-AMG-C...AMG-s/7219.htm

Iron Rotor Replacement & Brake Kit:
http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7261.htm

We also have excellent brake pads to go with the rotor kit (except the rear pad for floating OE calipers).

PM or call us at 714-871-6392

Links aren't working on your website and doesn't specify the W205 C63 AMG S anywhere, just on your CCM link.

Are you sure you have iron rotors for the B07 Carbon Ceramic brake package? Talked to you guys two months ago and you had nothing back then?
Old 09-19-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Carbotech does NOT make the rear pad...they don't have the right identification number to replicate the factory pads. I have their pad up front and stock pad in back and the difference in brake dust is astonishing.
Peter
Old 09-19-2016, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by houstonT
Carbotech does NOT make the rear pad...they don't have the right identification number to replicate the factory pads. I have their pad up front and stock pad in back and the difference in brake dust is astonishing.
Peter
I personally sent Porterfield a set of our factory rear pads to them. They should have for me by the end of the week. They needed to take all of the measurements in order to make them. I mixed up Porterfield & Carbotech.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
OK so, for anyone that drives aggressively, do NOT, and I repeat do NOT get the normal steel brakes when you buy your C63. Make sure you have CCB.

My car barely has 12000 miles and I'm already at my 2nd set of pads. They barely lasted 6000 miles. This is just plain unacceptable.

The OEM pads are garbage. I'm fighting with Mercedes to see if I can get them to offer a CCB replacement in the front. My dealership has already offered me a full free brake job (all corners, rotors and pads) but I don't think that's enough if it's going to keep happening every 6k miles.

I have never tracked the car, this is just with normal day to day aggressive driving.

I do have a track day coming up on October 24th and this is getting me worried.

What are the best aftermarket pads for steel rotors? Will put them on during the track day.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Guilty
If you have not yet read the Thunder Hill track day thread, You should before you go to Thermal. You should at least put in high temp. brake fluid and have new hi quality after market pads all around.
Enjoy Thermal as it is a nice track.
The following users liked this post:
Guilty (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 10:22 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by RDOCA
Guilty
If you have not yet read the Thunder Hill track day thread, You should before you go to Thermal. You should at least put in high temp. brake fluid and have new hi quality after market pads all around.
Enjoy Thermal as it is a nice track.
Thank you brother!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
i have done ACS and Thermal with my C63s. No issues. No big wear challenges. They squeak now after 8,000 miles.

I used STOPTEK on my e92 Track car. I have also heard others having pad wear issues on NON CCB brakes.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:21 PM

C63 W205 Edition 1
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
OK so, for anyone that drives aggressively, do NOT, and I repeat do NOT get the normal steel brakes when you buy your C63. Make sure you have CCB.

My car barely has 12000 miles and I'm already at my 2nd set of pads. They barely lasted 6000 miles. This is just plain unacceptable.

The OEM pads are garbage. I'm fighting with Mercedes to see if I can get them to offer a CCB replacement in the front. My dealership has already offered me a full free brake job (all corners, rotors and pads) but I don't think that's enough if it's going to keep happening every 6k miles.

I have never tracked the car, this is just with normal day to day aggressive driving.

I do have a track day coming up on October 24th and this is getting me worried.

What are the best aftermarket pads for steel rotors? Will put them on during the track day.

Thanks.

I'd be careful with that comment... And I have the CCB and am looking for iron rotors to replace them. A couple of reasons why...
1) The CCB if you just plan on driving you car on the street with very limited track days, maybe once a year, then yes the CCB's are worth it
2) If you plan on tracking your car more frequently 7-8 times year lets say... you will be replacing the carbon ceramics after two years if not sooner.
3) The cost of the CC Rotors from Mercedes $6000 each! You can buy a lot of iron rotors and get very similar if not better braking performance if you're running the right pad for the track...
4) Even for aggressive street driving, you just need better pads. The stock Mercedes pads suck and on the CC Rotors, finding pads that work well is also very difficult for this car...

Last edited by Edition1JPA; 09-20-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Guilty (09-21-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 10:25 PM

C63 W205 Edition 1
Originally Posted by houstonT
Peter
When was the last time you spoke with them??? I'm hoping you're wrong as I just took delivery of a set and plan on installing them this weekend. Will report back as soon as I have the OEM pads off the car...
Old 09-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
The link is now working.

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCM-Pa.../mb-crk-07.htm

Last edited by RacingBrake; 09-21-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C63 AMG S Edition 1, 2015 GL63
I personally sent Porterfield a set of our factory rear pads to them. They should have for me by the end of the week. They needed to take all of the measurements in order to make them. I mixed up Porterfield & Carbotech.
JP,

Thanks for doing this as I have been working with Porterfield and they have not been able to send me a correct set of rear track pads. I received an email from them today that they now have the correct ones and will be sending them next week. I believe I have you to thank for this. So THANK YOU!!!

I was going to send them my old factory set but looks like you beat me to it.

Kurt
Old 09-22-2016, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by kfehling
JP,

Thanks for doing this as I have been working with Porterfield and they have not been able to send me a correct set of rear track pads. I received an email from them today that they now have the correct ones and will be sending them next week. I believe I have you to thank for this. So THANK YOU!!!

I was going to send them my old factory set but looks like you beat me to it.

Kurt
Kurt,

You are correct. The person who originally measured the pads measured them incorrectly. Hence why they weren't available. That is why I sent them the pads; I did not want to be responsible for the wrong measurements. My shipped out today and I will install them next week.

JP
kfehling (09-23-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 09:34 PM

C63 W205 Edition 1
Carbotech update

Hey Guys,

Had a chance to get into the garage today to check out the new brakes from Carbotech.

Attached are some comparison photos of the stock pad with the carbotech pad. I installed them and then had to pull them off and install the stock pads again as I didn't have enough time to swap them over and do the other side... damn nursery shopping.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Ceramic Brakes-20160925_133132-copy.jpg   Carbon Ceramic Brakes-20160925_133149-copy.jpg   Carbon Ceramic Brakes-20160925_133158-copy.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Ceramic Brakes