Sponsored by:

Why did you chose to wait for W205 C63 over F80 M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
I test drove the M3 earlier this month and walked away a bit disappointed.

It was in less than ideal conditions (high 30's, winter), but even with MDM on, the traction control felt very intrusive. However, once it hooked up in third gear, it pulled very hard to redline - more than I expected. The M3 felt really solid, you can really feel the solid mounted sub-frame - I liked it, but it didn't instill confidence in me since the rear end felt twitchy/loose while accelerating below 60 MPH. I would need to test drive it again in warmer weather to get a better sense of traction.

I think the disappointment came not with the power of the engine, but the way it delivered it (coming from my 335i with Cobb tune). The S55 felt like a pretty standard small displacement, high boost twin turbo inline-6, with relatively noticeable lag below 3000 RPM, which really gets going at 3500 and above. It delivered power with way more power and torque everywhere compared to my N54, but it didn't feel much different or special. I really think M should have at least bumped up displacement a bit more with the S55 (a 3.2L to differentiate itself more from the standard 335's).

Cars like these are an emotion purchase, and the test drive didn't stir my soul the way I thought it would. I agree with everything said about the sound - personally, I found it borderline obnoxious (the boy racer rasp) and thought a 335i with an aftermarket exhaust sounded much better. This is all subjective at the end of the day, but even things like styling didn't quite do it for me - maybe I'm getting older, but I prefer the more sleeper/low key look of the C63S. I honestly think one the M3/M4's biggest competitors will be the upcoming M2 when it comes out, very interested to see how this car will perform.

I still need to test drive the C63S, but based on all the reviews I've read and the reasoning for why they are leaning towards it over the M3 makes me think this car will better suit my personality... and this is coming from someone that's been rowing his own gears for the last 11 years.

I'm anxiously waiting for the C205 AMG C63 Coupe, because I think this will tick all boxes for me - including styling over the M4 if the coupe is close to or an improvement over the current S63 AMG Coupe!

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 03-30-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:47 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned

This is all subjective at the end of the day, but even things like styling didn't quite do it for me - maybe I'm getting older, but I prefer the more sleeper/low key look of the C63S. I honestly think one the M3/M4's biggest competitors will be the upcoming M2 when it comes out, very interested to see how this car will perform.

I'm anxiously waiting for the C205 AMG C63 Coupe, because I think this will tick all boxes for me - including styling over the M4 if the coupe is close to or an improvement over the current S63 AMG Coupe!

This ^^^^

For quite some time I've been thinking the same regarding the upcoming M2 and that it will pose more of an in house problem for the new M4 than competition from other brands, I mention M4 and not M3 because the 2 is a coupe.

I test drove a 235i M sport last year and was quite surprised at how good it was, IMO better than the previous gen N54 or N55 powered 135i.

That platform (M2) given the full M treatment should end up being an awesome little performance vehicle and I think it'll end up looking better than the M4 as well, BMW will most probably hold back on that model to make sure it doesn't make its more expensive bigger brother look deficient.

Also agree on the looks of the M4 was up close again to one just last weekend and the more I look at it the lesser I like what I see, maybe it has something to do with age and being older I much prefer the more elegant looking and conservative approach of MB's design.

And just as anxious as yourself to see the final reveal of the upcoming C205 C63 coupe, I think there's little doubt from all reports so far that it will look at least as good as the current S63 coupe
Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
If you listen to the M3/4 and also listen to the C63 and you are actually still considering the M3/4. Then you should definitely buy the M3 or M4!
Old 03-31-2015, 01:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
c63
Well I sat in the new c400 today and with the seat all the way down my head was touching the roof.

The car had pano btw and im expecting the majority of c63s to have pano as well so for that sole reason Ill probably have to go with the m3 unless AMG somehow manages to give us some more headroom.

Really disappointing, cant believe they dont care about customers taller than 6'3. Meanwhile the m3 and m4 with the carbon fiber roof have tons of headroom.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi b8.5 s4
Originally Posted by pushemekuratz
Well I sat in the new c400 today and with the seat all the way down my head was touching the roof.

The car had pano btw and im expecting the majority of c63s to have pano as well so for that sole reason Ill probably have to go with the m3 unless AMG somehow manages to give us some more headroom.

Really disappointing, cant believe they dont care about customers taller than 6'3. Meanwhile the m3 and m4 with the carbon fiber roof have tons of headroom.
That reminds me of a TV interview they did with Brian urlacher in his car. I had never seen anyone look so uncomfortable in the drivers seat of an S class. I thought poor guy. Then I wondered to myself which is worse - having all that money and not being able to own a sports car cause you could't fit? Or being able to fit, but couldn't afford it. Then he didn't seem like such a poor guy anymore.

Tldr; many people would commit murder to have your life problems Sorry for off topic
Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by CeSixtyThree
My spot is for MY2016 btw so I have plenty of time..
I do not wish to have MY2015 when 2016 is only few month away.
+1 That's my thought as well plus I really like the black wheels.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S
I don't know how tall you are but I am 6'3 and had no problem at all. In one of the reviews I watched one guy was 6'5 and he had no issues either.
I've had it in the past with a lexus which my wife wanted but I refused to get it so I partially understand your frustration. I sure hope you had that seat down all the way.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
c63
Originally Posted by Will617
I don't know how tall you are but I am 6'3 and had no problem at all. In one of the reviews I watched one guy was 6'5 and he had no issues either.
I've had it in the past with a lexus which my wife wanted but I refused to get it so I partially understand your frustration. I sure hope you had that seat down all the way.
Could be the car you tried didnt have panoramic roof, definitely not my favorite option, its adding weight in the worst area and it really takes up alot of headroom. My friend who was with me was right at the roof as well but not touching and hes 6'2. Unfortunately it seems most of the c63s will have this option checked.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 CLA 45AMG , 2015 C63 (W205)
Could be the car you tried didnt have panoramic roof, definitely not my favorite option, its adding weight in the worst area and it really takes up alot of headroom. My friend who was with me was right at the roof as well but not touching and hes 6'2. Unfortunately it seems most of the c63s will have this option checked.
Honestly I think the roof is dumb. I don't care for it. I never open the CLAs
Old 04-01-2015, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S
I don't remember if it had the pano roof but I am not getting it for the other reason you stated that it adds all that weight on top.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi b8.5 s4
The nail in the coffin for me were the reviewers' comments on traction. The c63 apparently has much more of it than the M. For me that's +1 c63.

I would actually have thought the edge would go to the M for its wider wheels if anything (250 front 270 rear versus the MBs 245 and 265). Many bmw forum members complain about how even 270 isn't wide enough, so I'm a little (pleasantly) surprised by the reviews.