C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone help me with Distronic and Lane Assist questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
Can anyone help me with Distronic and Lane Assist questions?

Hi all,

Im the super happy owner of a W204 C63, but my commute has me crying for mommy by Friday..

So that has gotten me thinking about the W205. But as you can guess, not because of its amazing powerplant or great handling, but the availability of Distronic Plus and Lane Assist nannies

Ive never used any of these systems, so I was hoping for help from the community. Ive been watching alot of Tesla Autopilot videos and that seems like the most ideal system for stop-go freeway traffic.

Can anyone comment on how the MB systems will perform in stop-go freeway traffic that moves at between 5-30mph on avg? Will the car truly steer itself for the majority of my commute (1 hr). Are there alot of misses? Will the system need me to keep touching the steering wheel every 15 seconds? (which negates the benefits IMO)

Thank you!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by darkus
Hi all,

Im the super happy owner of a W204 C63, but my commute has me crying for mommy by Friday..

So that has gotten me thinking about the W205. But as you can guess, not because of its amazing powerplant or great handling, but the availability of Distronic Plus and Lane Assist nannies

Ive never used any of these systems, so I was hoping for help from the community. Ive been watching alot of Tesla Autopilot videos and that seems like the most ideal system for stop-go freeway traffic.

Can anyone comment on how the MB systems will perform in stop-go freeway traffic that moves at between 5-30mph on avg? Will the car truly steer itself for the majority of my commute (1 hr). Are there alot of misses? Will the system need me to keep touching the steering wheel every 15 seconds? (which negates the benefits IMO)

Thank you!
I have had it in heavy stop and go several times and it will work well but when it stops for longer than about 1 second you have to tap the gas or hit stalk to get it going again. steering is ok I guess but I don't like the feel and you do have to have hands on wheel or put them on every 15 sec or so.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Realistically, this car is not where you can pick up a crossword puzzle on your way home. You are going to steer enough that it knows you are paying attention. The real benefit is not having to modulate brake constantly. The draw back is you can't tailgate so cars may cut in front and that may confuse distronic to the point of slamming the brakes or potentially hitting a car that is not exactly in front of you. I can effectively use this system in one to two lane highway but not a freeway with others changing lane in front of me.
You must take a test drive and feel for yourself or have a forum member drive you around a bit. Also are you communing in the BS?!!!
Old 02-23-2016, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C63 AMG
I absolutly love these features and use them very regularly. It takes a lot of the stress out of heavy traffic. I can get into my music, audio book etc. As mentioned above, you still have to touch the wheel and tap the gas when full stop.
You do need to pay attention for people cutting in front of you. You can dial-in the tracking distance and I feel it is very reliable. It will beep at you if agressive stop is required. I will never purchase another car without this type of tracking cruse control...