C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebellion Piggy Back Installation Thread..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C63 S, 2011 C63 R.I.P.
Originally Posted by CT-AMG
Guys, I just went through the install of the piggy back and I wanted to start a thread for those of you doing it or planning on doing it. Anyone doing this themselves is the bravest person on earth. This is not an installation for the novice.

So, I arranged a power install at a place called P1 Motors in Stamford Ct. This place has to be the most insane garage I have ever seen. Mostly Ferarri's but tons of other muscle cars. GTO's, Porsche GTS, Twin Turbo Ferraris, GTR's.. The list went on and on. The owner's name is Tommy and he put his best mechanic on the install.

According to him, the instructions are horrible and not very specific. For example, they do not recommend or even suggest where the module should go. There are half a dozen ways to run the wiring harness and the way we ran it we had to extend the ground wire. It could have been installed without doing so, but the idea was to get this completely hidden and by completely I mean no trace at all.

A few mods we had to make. Extending the ground. Trimming a small plastic piece to allow for the harness to clear the compartment on the passenger side, and velcro for the module to make sure it stays put.

The job took 3 hours, perhaps even more with all of the head scratching, hand contorting and attention to detail in hiding the wires. The ONLY visible wires are about 4 inches long and cross right in front, dead center above the radiator.

I will let the pictures speak for themselves. I will try to answer any questions you may have but, if you are interested in having P1 do it, I give them my highest recommendation. Not a scratch, not a single issue at all. 100% awesome.

P1 motorcars "Tommy" 203-276-0749
http://www.p1motorcars.com
You can tell them Eric or George from the MB World Forums sent ya!
How much did the installation end up running you?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
I know Dinan just released a piggy back module for the 2.0 engines. Their stuff is top notch for the BMW crowd. Its like a 5 min deal from what I read, might be worth checking them out. just a thought
Old 08-29-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG C63S
rmt52: The install was about $200 but, I think they can do it for less now that they know how it goes in. They are more familiar with it now.

subzero05: A spark plug can't be changed in 5 minutes so I would highly doubt any piggyback could be installed that quickly.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:00 PM

CL500
certainly cant comment on the AMG, but a guy on another post installed one on his CLA 2.0 in under 5 mins he said. anyway, good to see other options out there for our cars
Old 08-29-2016, 06:27 PM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts
C63S
Has anyone spoken to Rebellion recently?

I've sent an email about a week ago but no response.

matt@rebellionautomotive.co.uk bounced & info@rebellionautomotive.co.uk has had no response yet.

If someone has used another email address that is being monitored can you let me know please.

Cheers
Old 08-29-2016, 06:42 PM

CL500
well that gives me zero confidence to buy anything from them if they cant respond in a timely manner Customer service 101 if you ask me
Old 08-29-2016, 10:33 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Matt no longer works for Rebellion. He's started his own firm, Tricolore Performance. http://tricoloreperformance.co.uk/
Old 08-30-2016, 08:59 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
I have a feeling they are overwhelmed with emails at the moment. I think almost everyone i have spoken to has had some sort off issue. some have been corrected with new units others have not. I vouched for this unit at first since i saw it work well in person. however i have not had the same experience or hear others. Here is what i know
Me, got it, Felt great, slow track times, could lay a massive strip just flooring it. HOWEVER, my 1/4 runs lost 5-7 mph (122-114mph) consistently my times were also slower but that was due to traction, Trap speed is where it shows issues(usually not driver/traction related)
could lay a massive strip just flooring it.
Box 2 came to see if track times could be improved something felt off so ran it on the dyno and was peaking TQ and HP at 3500 rpm then falling flat on its face.
Box 3(with new harness) installed at a shop(just in case) car would start, shake violently and stall, worked fine once jumper was installed. returned all for a refund

person 1 Had it loved it, ran fast times, moved onto stage 2 so sold it
Person 2 Had it, not right, sent back for a new one and feels it works fine(no track or dyno)
Person 3 Had it, 3 months later car broke down, only worked with jumper
Person 4 installed it and turbos would not work
Person 5 installed it and has been running it says its fine (no track or dyno)

I have nothing against rebellion at all. the customer service has actually been great. I am simply posting what i know from talking to other members.

and as far as install this and any other Piggy back is going to be at least a hour to install. the sensors you need to tap into are in hard to reach locations. i have now done it 3 times and still took an hour to get it all done.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:12 AM
Oky

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C63S Edition 1
I'm having issues as well and haven't heard back for a couple days. Would be open to the idea of a new box if it would solve the problem, if not would like a refund.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:47 AM

AMG C63S
I think Jojipoji will be the deciding factor for many. He received a replacement box and is the dyno guy. If his new box tests properly on the dyno then I think they have fixed/solved the problems with some of the original boxes.

If however, his dyno shows that steep decline in the high rpm's then we know they haven't figured it out and I think its time for many of you (us) to ask for refunds.

I personally received a replacement box because my turbos were dying (on 2 occasions) and since receiving the new box I have had no problems. I can also say that at high RPMS I have plenty of pull but, I have no idea if a dyno run would confirm my feelings as I am not dyno testing it.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:30 PM

'15 C63S
Guess I'll provide counterpoint:

Installed several months ago, was part of the group buy, have had zero issues.

I'm on California 91 octane pump gas too, so I opened up the unit and change the dip switches to what was recommended for my crappy gas.

Did the harness install myself; made sure I audibly heard the 'click' of the harness for each sensor before moving on to the next. And yeah, I agree bgm130, the harness ain't easy to install as 3 of the sensors are pretty much installing blind.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by vaelin
Guess I'll provide counterpoint:

Installed several months ago, was part of the group buy, have had zero issues.

I'm on California 91 octane pump gas too, so I opened up the unit and change the dip switches to what was recommended for my crappy gas.

Did the harness install myself; made sure I audibly heard the 'click' of the harness for each sensor before moving on to the next. And yeah, I agree bgm130, the harness ain't easy to install as 3 of the sensors are pretty much installing blind.
glad it is working for you. I have a feeling it may have to do with a change in 2016 model that Rebellion was not aware of. something slight just enough to cause issues. it would be interesting to hear from all the Group buy members and see what year vs success.
i really did love the extra TQ, i tried everything but in the end it just didnt want to work for me. been my luck with this car haha. only thing that hasnt been an issue is the Carbon lip
Old 09-02-2016, 11:45 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by bgm130
glad it is working for you. I have a feeling it may have to do with a change in 2016 model that Rebellion was not aware of. something slight just enough to cause issues. it would be interesting to hear from all the Group buy members and see what year vs success.
i really did love the extra TQ, i tried everything but in the end it just didnt want to work for me. been my luck with this car haha. only thing that hasnt been an issue is the Carbon lip
Well, spoke too soon.

Today, while just driving around town, stopped for lunch. Came back out.. started.. idled extremely rough (almost felt like I had a cammed N/A engine) and then it stalled out and died. Started up a few more times, same thing.. rough idle, and engine cut out.

Pulled the piggyback, inserted jumper (kept it, wire clippers and extra zipties in my glove compartment).. car started right up like nothing was wrong.. except I had a CEL now.

Drove around a bit, car felt normal (except for the sudden loss of ~80hp/tq ) and the CEL went away.

Pulled the codes later with my trust OBDII scanner, and it was:

P106 - MAP/Barometric Sensor issue.

Just sent off an email to Rebellion. Hoping for a quick response.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:36 AM

AMG C63S
When I pulled my CEL message it said:

Manifold Absolute Pressure/BARO Sensor Low Output

But, this was only once and before they swapped boxes for me