Brake pad wear indicator went on..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Brake pad wear indicator went on..

So I've got ~5k miles on my C63S.

For the last few days, the once-in-a-while brake noises I attributed to the factory CCBs started getting more and more pronounced. Until it was basically screeching at every stop.

Yesterday, "Check brake pad wear" popped up on the screen, and the red BRAKE light keep flickering on and off until it just stayed on.

I swung into the dealership, and the head tech came out to take a look.

Well, looks like it's a failed brake pad sensor; the cause of failure being the cable leading to the sensor somehow popped OUT of the brake caliper and was rubbing against the inside of the rim. Enough to basically scour a ridge along the entire circumference of the rim.

Looks like this is going to be a warranty replacement of the sensor plus the rim.

For the time being, the tech pushed the wire back in place, but it's already shorted and the warning is staying on.. but at least no more damage to the rim until they can order replacements in.

What's interesting is.. after pushing the wire away from the rim.. the brake noises all but disappeared. Just a little wire can cause enough harmonic imbalance to create such a racket.