Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint protection recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2016 | 09:40 AM

2017 C63 Coupe
Paint protection recommendations

So my SA called and he said I should receive my coupe in 2-3 weeks. For those who have already received their vehicles what type of paint protection do you recommend?

I have read about XPel but I have never tried any paint protection so I'm open to different recommendations. If possible please give estimates regarding the cost and the length of the process to have an idea. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2016 | 10:59 AM

'15 C63S
Xpel. I run Xpel Stealth for the matte finish over my gloss iridium silver.

Pricewise, I paid less than 4k for a full wrap, but that's atypical. It took the shop 3 weeks because I was bringing the car into work and they were only working on it during their downtime. Most good shops that I spoke to for quotes stated about 3 days, keeping the vehicle with them overnight... with average cost around 6-8k.
The following users liked this post:
auditoamg (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016 | 11:08 AM

bmw m3
If you don't want film and looking for a glass or ceramic coating I can recommend gtechniq crystal serum black. Pro application only buy it looks amazing and makes cleaning a doddle.
Old 10-28-2016 | 11:10 AM

2017 C63 Coupe
Sounds good. I appreciate the info.
Old 10-28-2016 | 11:18 AM

911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Xpel on the front, Gyeon MOHS on top of everything inclusing the Xpel.
Old 10-28-2016 | 11:23 AM

Porsche 981S Ferrari 328GTS MB AMG C43 Lunar Blue Sedan
Depends on what you want done. There are pre-made kits that independent shops can put on probably for say $650-1200 depending on what they provide and do. It usually means half the hood, have the front fenders, headlamps, front spoiler and possibly side mirrors. That can be done in a few hours.

Personally, I wasn't very impressed with the last half kit on a Porsche or MB we had. I didn't like seeing the lines where it ends, not to mention it provides no protection for uppers sections of the hood which are just as susceptible to rock chips.

So on our more recent Porsche I had an independent shop with a stellar reputation for installation of whatever the top quality of Xpel was (note *experience and who is doing it is just as important as the product), do a full custom kit. It was the full hood, full front fenders, mirrors, headlamps, front spoiler, lower rocker panels, and behind the rear wheels. Before doing this better shops, like the one I used do a full detail, clay bar, and minor paint correction (if needed) to remove any possible factory defects or contaminants. Depending on how busy a shop is that work could be done in say 2 days maybe 3...longer if very busy. Some will also suggest or put an added layer of protection with a ceramic sealant such as OptiCoat or CQuartz. The guys at the place I used did a great job. This was around 2.5 years ago and cost me around $1,750 (I've heard some places are a bit less some are a bit more...but these guys I used are fantastic). On a really high quality job, you should barely be able to notice paint protection or any seems.

When it comes to paint protection you definitely get what you pay for. The last Pcar dealer did a mediocre job for $950...and I made those guys redo it at their cost (on a light colored car there was a human hair caught under it, and 2 small clumps of dirt making bubbles). Also a guy I know let a dealer do a semi custom job, he thought my guys were too pricey, he paid I think $1,250 and his guys did a sh*t job. I can see various seams they cut, and around the headlamps and hood crest rather than taking the time to remove them and wrap under it they just cut seams around them that are very visible. He has already had the paint protection on his hood redone again.

Photobucket seems to be having issues at the moment, but if you click on this link and look at post #272, that's our dark metallic blue Cayman S with full custom paint protection on it. It literally looks like glass. http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-c...aymans-19.html

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 10-28-2016 | 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by vaelin
Xpel. I run Xpel Stealth for the matte finish over my gloss iridium silver.

Pricewise, I paid less than 4k for a full wrap, but that's atypical. It took the shop 3 weeks because I was bringing the car into work and they were only working on it during their downtime. Most good shops that I spoke to for quotes stated about 3 days, keeping the vehicle with them overnight... with average cost around 6-8k.
Any chance you would post pictures of this??? My Iridium Silver arrives in 3 weeks and I'm debating Stealth over the regular gloss film... :-)

(Maybe before and after pics?)