Sponsored by:

My C63S - Initial Observations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
E63
My C63S - Initial Observations

Currently own a AMG GTS and Dodge Charger Hellcat.
Just traded my BMW M2 for the C63S.

I really was hoping that the C63S would be just like the GTS, but a bit more entry/exit friendly. (The GTS is a bear to get into and out of, but quite comfortable once you are in.) I had driven the 4 door version of the C63 and found it a bit "too civilized/quiet".

Initial observations:

Strengths:
Sounds great.

Strong engine.

Transmission is the best conventional automatic in the business (finally - since Mercedes has been famous for tuning their transmissions for comfort and not performance). The transmission and clutch engagement is a bit clunky, but I think that suits the character of the car very well, and tends to imitate a full dual clutch transmission feel.

Very comfortable. Easy entry and exit. Great cruiser.

Love the giant sunroof (and the dramatically improved exhaust sound with the roof open).

Handling is decent for such a heavy car.

Traction with the (finally) larger rear tires, and the electronic differential is excellent.

Areas for Improvement:
Way too heavy!! (How can Mercedes make one their "smallest" cars weigh 4100 lbs, and still have the doors and trunk sound tinny when closing them!?). Also it's too long. Car feels substantial, but not playful because of its size/weight (compared to the M2 for example).

Any car that weighs 4100 lbs. needs a heated steering wheel - why can't Mercedes figure out how to offer a sport steering wheel with heat?

While the car is pretty strong and quick, compared to the GTS, which is also a porky 3800+ lbs., it is noticeably less accelerative (as judged by the seat of the pants, and the on-board accelerometer. Given that this car has the same (advertised) horsepower, and more torque than the GTS, I was expecting/hoping it would be closer. Guess those extra 300 lbs. really make a difference.

A 500 hp car needs a more "manly" gear shifter than the windshield wiper stalk this uses as a shifter
Attached Thumbnails My C63S - Initial Observations-img_3799.jpg   My C63S - Initial Observations-img_3800.jpg  
Old 11-03-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
MG PB, MG Midget, Triumph TR4, Morgan 4/4, Mustang, Audi R8
Thanks for your impressions. Are you considering selling your GTS if the C63 is "close enough?" I love my R8 for the performance gap between it and everything else I own, but have wondered if the C63's performance will make the R8 seem irrelevant. Of course, I doubt the AMG V8 will be a suitable replacement for that big V10 singing in my ear at 8k.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:55 PM

E63
Originally Posted by ignomini
Thanks for your impressions. Are you considering selling your GTS if the C63 is "close enough?" I love my R8 for the performance gap between it and everything else I own, but have wondered if the C63's performance will make the R8 seem irrelevant. Of course, I doubt the AMG V8 will be a suitable replacement for that big V10 singing in my ear at 8k.

I plan to keep the GTS regardless, and in fact have my order in for the convertible version and the GTR versions next year.
Very different to the C63S, as I would expect that your R8 is also very different. (I had a 2012 R8 and quite enjoyed it).
Old 11-05-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by thunderMB
I plan to keep the GTS regardless, and in fact have my order in for the convertible version and the GTR versions next year.
Very different to the C63S, as I would expect that your R8 is also very different. (I had a 2012 R8 and quite enjoyed it).
How would you summarise the difference in ownership experience between the C63S and GTS?

Great write up by the way!
Old 11-06-2016, 07:49 AM

E63
Originally Posted by Andyroo
How would you summarise the difference in ownership experience between the C63S and GTS?

Great write up by the way!
The GTS is louder, stronger ( particularly in 4th and 5 th gears), handling is tighter, but C63 much easier to get into and out of and more comfortable.
All in all, the C is a great "everyday" GTS.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
AMG GTR
All in all, the C is a great "everyday" GTS.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, this is why I went with the C63S.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:59 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by thunderMB
The GTS is louder, stronger ( particularly in 4th and 5 th gears), handling is tighter, but C63 much easier to get into and out of and more comfortable.
All in all, the C is a great "everyday" GTS.
is the drama of the GTS what makes it worth owning both?