Backing down driveway.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Backing down driveway.....

Anyone have any issues backing down driveways in the morning while the car is cold, having to give the car way too much throttle?????. This doesn't happen when warm....
Old 02-10-2017, 01:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Yes my 16 sedan when cold revs up to 2000 rpms before the clutch decides to engage also when cold my shifts in sport + are very hard and jerky
Old 02-10-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S EDITION 1
Same here, before the car is actually warm mine does the same (usually pulling forward out of my garage tho), it revs pretty high and takes a good amount of throttle before she actually starts moving. so no worries!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
c63s sedan
form what i know especially form my last gen c63 when its cold shifts will always jerk. when it warms up its smoother.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E63s
it happens to me on both of my C63; I learned to blimp the throttle slightly and it works.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by longbow0404
it happens to me on both of my C63; I learned to blimp the throttle slightly and it works.
I'll give that a try!!! Thanks.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe, 2015 Range Rover Sport
I have the same issue and it's so abrupt that my wife could see it watching me out the window from our house. It seems odd that I have never experienced this before with any car let alone my prior two AMGs. And to add to the puzzle it's starting to get herky jerky when coming to a stop even after warmed up. Love the car but man there are some odd quirks to deal with.

Last edited by kdoyle; 02-11-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:58 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
On cold starts I hold revs at 2krpm until the car engages clutch and pulls away. If you keep the revs at 2k you'll pull away smoothly.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by Andyroo
On cold starts I hold revs at 2krpm until the car engages clutch and pulls away. If you keep the revs at 2k you'll pull away smoothly.
Not sure I understand....
Old 02-11-2017, 05:00 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Not sure I understand....
On cold mornings my car seems to slip the clutch a lot more, making pulling away smoothly difficult. The technique I have to get around it is to--in drive--press the throttle enough to rev to 2k rpm and hold it there. The car will then pull away smoothly rather than jerking about all over the place.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
On cold mornings my car seems to slip the clutch a lot more, making pulling away smoothly difficult. The technique I have to get around it is to--in drive--press the throttle enough to rev to 2k rpm and hold it there. The car will then pull away smoothly rather than jerking about all over the place.

If you will give it about 3 sec after shifting to rev on the first start of the day or after sitting for a long while to fill the passages in the trans and get oil to the clutch packs before trying to accelerate it will not rev up as it does now. Then after backing out of the garage and shifting to forward wait another 3 sec before trying to move forward.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:33 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by RDOCA
If you will give it about 3 sec after shifting to rev on the first start of the day or after sitting for a long while to fill the passages in the trans and get oil to the clutch packs before trying to accelerate it will not rev up as it does now. Then after backing out of the garage and shifting to forward wait another 3 sec before trying to move forward.
Tried it, didn't work
Old 02-12-2017, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
Tried it, didn't work
works for me
revs if I don't do it and is OK if I wait a little for oil to circulate
Old 02-13-2017, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
See, that's the thing... I always wait for things to settle down and stabilize before even shifting into gear.... Still happens.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Take it in to the dealer.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
See, that's the thing... I always wait for things to settle down and stabilize before even shifting into gear.... Still happens.
It's after shifting into gear that you need to wait as it then directs oil to correct location and if it's cold and has been a while it takes longer to fill passeges and clutch packs.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:27 AM

W205 C63 AMG
It's after shifting into gear that you need to wait as it then directs oil to correct location and if it's cold and has been a while it takes longer to fill passeges and clutch packs.
I tried that and it still did it. Waited about ten seconds. It is freezing here at the moment though.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C63S AMG
I just picked up a 2015 C63S and noticed the same thing. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I always baby it until it warms up anyway but definitely noticed the slip, especially in the morning.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Had anyone reported this to the dealer other than me?
They claim they compared to another Coupe on the lot.
The lot coupe doesn't do it..
Mercedes is blaming me for damaging the wet clutch because I use an Eco off module.
There is no way this module hurt anything with everyone here having the same issues as me....
Old 03-22-2018, 05:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
yep i get it all the time on my vehicle too when it is really cold. That said, it seems to take longer for things to reach operating temperature on the c63 than it did my gla 45. I never had this issue on the gla.
I'm sure it is built in to protect the vehicle components but it would be good to know what to expect from the gas pedal. i dont mind when it is in my drive and it wont move, it is when i'm on a public road and it decides to keep me stationary that slightly concerns me. It is worse when the steering is turned fully to one side.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by right_mr
yep i get it all the time on my vehicle too when it is really cold. That said, it seems to take longer for things to reach operating temperature on the c63 than it did my gla 45. I never had this issue on the gla.
I'm sure it is built in to protect the vehicle components but it would be good to know what to expect from the gas pedal. i dont mind when it is in my drive and it wont move, it is when i'm on a public road and it decides to keep me stationary that slightly concerns me. It is worse when the steering is turned fully to one side.
Did you report to dealer?
Old 03-23-2018, 04:12 AM

Did you report to dealer?
just read your post about what merc are saying. I've got some clutch slip niggles too. perhaps I've been a bit too enthusiastic about hitting the throttle during the run in period but I never rev it over 4k. I thought this problem might go away after the run in.

I haven't spoken to my dealer yet. the throttle clutch issue only happens when the oil and water Temps are in the 10 to 15 degrees bracket. Usually I use the revs as a guide . when the vehicle is started up the revs stay above 1k for a while until the engine warms up and after that the revs drop to around 800rpm snd that guide works fine with slightly warmer temps. it's been uncharacteristically cold here in the UK (or at least by our feeble standards ) and the issue only happens when it is really cold -1c and below . next chance i get to drop it off at the dealership (rear axle oil change at 1875 miles which is maybe 1 month away max , I'll speak to them about this and any other niggles ( namely sd card media not being recognised . same card worked perfectly on the other car. i'll stick a different one in therr and see what happens. And what looks like clutch slip mentioned above) . cheers

Last edited by right_mr; 03-23-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
just read your post about what merc are saying. I've got some clutch slip niggles too. perhaps I've been a bit too enthusiastic about hitting the throttle during the run in period but I never rev it over 4k. I thought this problem might go away after the run in.

I haven't spoken to my dealer yet. the throttle clutch issue only happens when the oil and water Temps are in the 10 to 15 degrees bracket. Usually I use the revs as a guide . when the vehicle is started up the revs stay above 1k for a while until the engine warms up and after that the revs drop to around 800rpm snd that guide works fine with slightly warmer temps. it's been uncharacteristically cold here in the UK (or at least by our feeble standards ) and the issue only happens when it is really cold -1c and below . next chance i get to drop it off at the dealership (rear axle oil change at 1875 miles which is maybe 1 month away max , I'll speak to them about this and any other niggles ( namely sd card media not being recognised . same card worked perfectly on the other car. i'll stick a different one in therr and see what happens. And what looks like clutch slip mentioned above) . cheers
Let me know what they say...
We'll have to compare notes.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan

Actually the RPM also depends what mode you are in as it stays at a higher RPM if you are in S+ than C
Old 03-26-2018, 10:48 AM

Actually the RPM also depends what mode you are in as it stays at a higher RPM if you are in S+ than C
That's entirely true, though the issue i have is more either the clutch engaging in a rough manner (rather than gradually/smoothly) or slipping entirely in comfort mode. What i would expect the clutch to do is to engage nice and smoothly but that doesnt seem to happen from time to time. It could be misbehaving when it is cold admittedly. i dont have a easy to find tranny temp gauge like i did on my gla so i'm not sure whether operating temperatures have anything to do with it rather than just driving style.

During the run in period (which i have just completed), even in sport plus, if i rely on auto shifting (which most of the time i have been ), the ECU will shift depending on what run-in stage the engine is in (ignoring kick downs). For the first few hundred miles, the ECU was great (C, S and S+) at shifting up at under 3k revs provided i didnt kick down on the pedal (which i havent really done at all due to the vehicle having so much torque). When i went over around 850 miles, the ECU would take the revs up to 4k even in comfort driving in a similar manner and without me pushing the car particularly hard. The ECU is opening the revs up very nicely now that i'm just past 1k miles.

Post run-in, I expect it to be just like the GLA 45 i used to own and the C63 i tracked a couple of years ago, ie holding revs much higher in S+ compared to comfort. What i'm not sure about is whether the transmission will settle down into a nice smooth experience in comfort mode or not which is the main area i've got my focus on.

The lack of motion/inertia problem was completely absent the last three days that i'd driven and it was much warmer outside than the "beast from the east" temperatures. Clutch was engaging and the vehicle was moving off without any issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Backing down driveway.....