Sponsored by:

Fitted 265/35's on the front and found this

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts
C63S
Fitted 265/35's on the front and found this

Fitted my rear 265/35/19's to my front factory cross spoke wheels today.

Surprisingly they fit nicely with the side wall sitting vertical filling the guards nicely.

And found this:

Standard front tyres worn down only in a 300mm section on both left and right tyres on the inside.

The left tyres inner edge is worn down to canvas and would have been close to blowing.

In this 300mm section, the tyre has a valley worn into them.

The left tyre is worn a lot more than the right side with the tread flat on the wear indicators.

Right side tyre is in a lot better condition then the left side.

I knew the outside of the tyres were wearing prematurely but wasn't expecting to see canvas already.

The following users liked this post:
bdpdx (04-01-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG C63S
You got me a little shook here because I am fitting 265's on my fronts TODAY.

Is this the result of rubbing from them not fitting or from using the old rear tires on the fronts and having unusual wear because of the swap?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
That looks like an alignment issue, more than likely your toe is out of spec. It'll cause the corners of the tire to scrub like that.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 AM

AMG C63S
I think it has to do with switching the rears to the front. The camber/toe in is different on the rear tires than the fronts so, when you switch the tires they have different tread wear from the rears. When you put them on the front they will wear differently because now the tire is running on a different part of the tire and will prematurely wear.

Thats my theory. I surely hope this isn't from rubbing due to the larger footprint..
Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by CT-AMG
I think it has to do with switching the rears to the front. The camber/toe in is different on the rear tires than the fronts so, when you switch the tires they have different tread wear from the rears. When you put them on the front they will wear differently because now the tire is running on a different part of the tire and will prematurely wear.

Thats my theory. I surely hope this isn't from rubbing due to the larger footprint..
I think the problem he is having was from the old 245s not the 265s because i doubt they can get that bad in 1 day.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:19 AM

AMG C63S
modio: I think you are correct and op is showing us the wear on his previous 245 fronts.

whew, I thought they were 265s rubbing!!
Old 02-16-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
looks pretty good. i have been up in the air on what size to get for summer i decided with 255 and 295 for the rear.
i have a similar wear issue on my tires as well. the inside is practically gone. I am getting an alignment in a few weeks for a few reasons so hopefully my new tires wont see the same issue
Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM

AMG C63S
BG: I understand the desire to have as big a rear footprint as possible but, the geometry with a 295/255 is going to be way off. The speedo will not be correct and the differential of 40 (295-255) is twice as big as factory of 20 (265-245).

I went with 285/265 which is almost as big as you can go on rear and IS as big as you can go on front. Keeps factory geometry of 20 and speedo will not be affected.

Why did you decide to go with these numbers? You should follow my lead after the way I smoked you at AMG school

PS: Where is my iPad that you stole?
Old 02-16-2017, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
BG: I understand the desire to have as big a rear footprint as possible but, the geometry with a 295/255 is going to be way off. The speedo will not be correct and the differential of 40 (295-255) is twice as big as factory of 20 (265-245).

I went with 285/265 which is almost as big as you can go on rear and IS as big as you can go on front. Keeps factory geometry of 20 and speedo will not be affected.

Why did you decide to go with these numbers? You should follow my lead after the way I smoked you at AMG school

PS: Where is my iPad that you stole?
A couple of things here. First it won't matter if you keep the ratio the same for the speedo as a rear tire size change will make the speedo to read off.
the wear on the old fronts looks like camber wear and it is common with our and other hi per cars. I would have an alignment before driving the new ones to make sure it is in spec.
If you go to the charts at tire rack you can see that the 265 size is not recommended on a 8 1/2 in wheel. 255 is the largest. Even though it won't rub it is not the correct size as the rim pulls the bead in too far and it will not have a tread flat on the ground.
285 is the largest recommended on the rear 9 1/2 wheels.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
c63s sedan
i will also be doing this next month! glad to know it worked out well for you! 285s on rear for me
Old 02-16-2017, 02:53 PM

C63S
You got me a little shook here because I am fitting 265's on my fronts TODAY.

Is this the result of rubbing from them not fitting or from using the old rear tires on the fronts and having unusual wear because of the swap?
CT-AMG, The wore tyres are the original 245's.

I havent experienced any inner or outer guard rubbing using the 265's.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:11 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by msd3075
That looks like an alignment issue, more than likely your toe is out of spec. It'll cause the corners of the tire to scrub like that.
I believe it's a combination of two things:

One, the factory camber that AMG dial in as it's a high performance vehicle.

Two, I had the wheel alignment checked and redone when I had the KW HAS kit fitted and my shop told me that my factory alignment was all over the place.

He thought it looked like no wheel alignment was done at the dealership before I took delivery which may have been true as there were numerous issue with my delivery.

After lowering and wheel alignment turning in to corners and going around round abouts feels a lot better.

My set up now it 265/35/19 on the front and 295/30/19 on the rear.

The width has nothing to do with the speedo, and both new size tyres are very close in over all diameter to what it came from factory with.

My advise to thise reading this post:

Conduct regular checks on your tyres especially the fronts, I knew the outter edges of the fronts were wearing but didn't know about the inner so I nearly got caught out having a blow out.

Our factory tyre repair kit would not have gotten me back on the road if this tyre had blown.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:07 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by RDO247
I believe it's a combination of two things:

One, the factory camber that AMG dial in as it's a high performance vehicle.

Two, I had the wheel alignment checked and redone when I had the KW HAS kit fitted and my shop told me that my factory alignment was all over the place.

He thought it looked like no wheel alignment was done at the dealership before I took delivery which may have been true as there were numerous issue with my delivery.

After lowering and wheel alignment turning in to corners and going around round abouts feels a lot better.

My set up now it 265/35/19 on the front and 295/30/19 on the rear.

The width has nothing to do with the speedo, and both new size tyres are very close in over all diameter to what it came from factory with.

My advise to thise reading this post:

Conduct regular checks on your tyres especially the fronts, I knew the outter edges of the fronts were wearing but didn't know about the inner so I nearly got caught out having a blow out.

Our factory tyre repair kit would not have gotten me back on the road if this tyre had blown.

I know I'm getting into the weeds a bit here, but the wear pattern on the tires shown looks way more like a toe issue and not a camber issue.

A camber issue would typically see an uniform change in wear from one shoulder of the tire to the other, whereas a toe issue is usually isolated to one shoulder in a defined spot with relatively even wear across the rest of the tire.

In your pic, the wear looks fairly even across the tire (look at the tread depth in relation to the wear bar) with a pronounced increase in wear on the immediate shoulder.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:39 PM

C63S
I know I'm getting into the weeds a bit here, but the wear pattern on the tires shown looks way more like a toe issue and not a camber issue.

A camber issue would typically see an uniform change in wear from one shoulder of the tire to the other, whereas a toe issue is usually isolated to one shoulder in a defined spot with relatively even wear across the rest of the tire.

In your pic, the wear looks fairly even across the tire (look at the tread depth in relation to the wear bar) with a pronounced increase in wear on the immediate shoulder.
Yes, this is what puzzled me.

And my shop hop told me everything was out of wake.

What at about the premature ware on the outside of the tyres which I noticed very early on from buying the car.

I have seen that others have complained about this as well.

Left and right 245's tyre, left tyre is back to front I should flipped so the inside edge was inside
Notice that the tread grooves are wore down on the outside edges.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).

I concur with your assessment. AMG vehicles by default have intoeing plus negative camber. The mostly inner shoulder wear is expected and is more a result of intoeing than negative camber.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Lot of left turns in your daily driving? lol

I regards to the wear, I had very similar wear in my sedan the front and my car was bone stock.

The tires needed replacement when I traded the car in so I avoided the issue.

My rears still had a while to go. It's odd, as I would have thought the rears would have gone first.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:55 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by Sanch
Lot of left turns in your daily driving? lol

I regards to the wear, I had very similar wear in my sedan the front and my car was bone stock.

The tires needed replacement when I traded the car in so I avoided the issue.

My rears still had a while to go. It's odd, as I would have thought the rears would have gone first.
Hey Sanch.

Keep an eye on your new tyres, hopefully the coupe is better set up than the sedan.

I'll start looking into a front and rear camber kit and if there's anything available to adjust the toe.

I want to get this sorted before getting my new wheels and tyres on.

I dont want want to be buying tyres every year.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:23 AM
SPONSOR

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by RDO247
Hey Sanch.

Keep an eye on your new tyres, hopefully the coupe is better set up than the sedan.

I'll start looking into a front and rear camber kit and if there's anything available to adjust the toe.

I want to get this sorted before getting my new wheels and tyres on.

I dont want want to be buying tyres every year.
Keep in mind W205 OEM – a “Full Front and Rear Wheel Alignment” is only adjusting the Toe (all W205’s).

Yes that’s right – we saw the need therefore to design and reinstate from the early 90’s – the correct meaning of “Full Precise (ongoing) adjustment capability”.

Front and Rear “Camber” essential to allow to change tire contact angle. Front “Caster” to correctly resolve steering pull, improve steering response and directional control. Audi to Volvo – World’s largest range with the experience of manufacturing adjuster kit solutions longer than any other company.

Catering for actual driving conditions encountered in day to day commuting – high cambered road, load carrying or altering/lowering height, fitting wide profile tires, suspension sag, curb knock damage.

Fixing it right the first time – no more ongoing trips to dealers or alignment shops or constantly changing tire brands.

Kits replace the 4 front and 4 rear highest wearing suspension bushings at the same time!

The unique patented design allows precise “single wrench” adjustment on car – accurately under load on alignment rack with “4 times” the adjustment range of the inaccurate one only offset position (minimal .3 of 1 degree – 1/8” offset) fluted bolts – available only for C400, 450, 43.

Performance Driving/Race Days: Can adjust front for extra Negative Camber (and up to 1 ½” track width – also rear) to reduce understeer in the “quest of hitting those corner apexes every time” and to go deeper into the corners with increased traction and braking response. Resulting in significantly reduced lap times pursuing front row of the grid on Race day!

With the aid of tire heat pyrometer can fine adjust rear tire settings also for maximum traction. Note rear kit – unlike “rear Camber arms” the K-MAC design retains all important clearance top of tires to outer fender – adjusting to reduce inner edge tire wear (or for extra Negative Camber - also widens track width).

We manufacture for the rear replacement Performance Bushings (12) – for the multilink arms. Designed to accurately locate, reduce rear end flex/twitch - get power/traction to the ground especially when applying power lane changing/overtaking. All the proven design features that comes with over 52 years in suspension bushing development. Kits come with instructions, extraction/insertion tubes. All rear Camber (and front C63/S, S63/S65) can be fitted on vehicle.

FRONT CAMBER AND CASTER KIT:
C400/C450/C43 4matic AMG P/N 503216K $480
C63/S, S63/S65 AMG P/N 503316K $480

REAR CAMBER (AND EXTRA TOE):
(all above W205 models) P/N 502226K $480

REAR MULTI LINK ARMS REPLACEMENT BUSHINGS ‘12’:
(all above W205 models) P/N 503328K $480

DHL air freight $30 one kit or $50 front and rear kits (average delivery time is 3 to 4 days).

Can pay by PayPal, Visa or MasterCard.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:06 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
Originally Posted by RDOCA
A couple of things here. First it won't matter if you keep the ratio the same for the speedo as a rear tire size change will make the speedo to read off.
the wear on the old fronts looks like camber wear and it is common with our and other hi per cars. I would have an alignment before driving the new ones to make sure it is in spec.
If you go to the charts at tire rack you can see that the 265 size is not recommended on a 8 1/2 in wheel. 255 is the largest. Even though it won't rub it is not the correct size as the rim pulls the bead in too far and it will not have a tread flat on the ground.
285 is the largest recommended on the rear 9 1/2 wheels.
so you say the max I can go without any trouble is 285 r 255 f ?
Old 02-20-2017, 05:17 AM

AMG C63S
The max anyone of us can go on the sedan with factory 19" wheels is 265 in the front and 295 in the rear.

I went 265/285 because I wanted to keep the differential of 20 the same as factory.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:30 AM

C63S
The max anyone of us can go on the sedan with factory 19" wheels is 265 in the front and 295 in the rear.

I went 265/285 because I wanted to keep the differential of 20 the same as factory.
CT - How long have you been running with this combo?

What tyres did you go with?

How has the traction changed with the extra width out back?
Old 02-20-2017, 05:34 AM

AMG C63S
I have had this set up for 2 days. I have driven less than 50 miles so I am not one to ask just yet. I went with the Michelin AS/3 Plus. I think thats what they are called. The newest all season Michelin available. Someone on this forum recommended them over the PSS and I looked into them and found they are 85% as good in summer and 200% better in rain and snow so to me it was a no brainer living on the East Coast with snow and rain.

Too early to tell about traction because it is cold and snow is on the ground but, logic would dictate that the grip has to be better with a wider footprint and an all season rubber over the Dunlop's which are known for being very bad in cold, rain and snow..
Old 03-31-2017, 07:46 PM

C63S 2016
Guys would you recommend if i go 285 rear and 255 front? I understand 265 would be a bit too big for front?
Old 04-02-2017, 02:07 AM

C63S 2016
bump
Old 04-02-2017, 04:05 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by SBH-
Guys would you recommend if i go 285 rear and 255 front? I understand 265 would be a bit too big for front?
Ive been running 295/30/19's on the rear & 265/35/19 on the front with a 20mm drop on KW HAS for a fare while now with no issues.

My my pictures are at the top of this post.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.