Sponsored by:

On The Fence Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Car
On The Fence Questions

I'm on the fence about a new C63 AMG coupe.

Couple questions -

Can anyone tell me about the transmission? Is it a dual clutch like PDK? I have heard some youtubers say it's a traditional torque converter automatic?

How does this compare to other automatics, honestly I am extremely skeptical.

I would not ask this on the forum but when I've tried to google it there is a lot of marketing stuff that comes up that doesn't make it clear to me where this technology sits.

Are the edition 1 packages or similar still a thing or was that last year? They had some good looking features like diamond-stitched seats that I don't see anymore?

Lastly can anyone give me a quick summary about tuning options, are there ECU tunes or flashes for the 4.0L turbo?

Old 03-10-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Originally Posted by readk

Couple questions -

Can anyone tell me about the transmission? Is it a dual clutch like PDK? I have heard some youtubers say it's a traditional torque converter automatic?

I would not ask this on the forum but when I've tried to google it there is a lot of marketing stuff that comes up that doesn't make it clear to me where this technology sits.

Are the edition 1 packages or similar still a thing or was that last year? They had some good looking features like diamond-stitched seats that I don't see anymore?

Lastly can anyone give me a quick summary about tuning options, are there ECU tunes or flashes for the 4.0L turbo?

Go test drive one.

Designo has diamond stitching. Make one online in the configurator. Look at the options.

Yes, there are a lot of tuning options.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S

Couple questions -

I dont think you can compare anything to a PDK as that is the top of the line DSG. everyone i have spoke to said that it is the top of the line. this was a good video that explains how it works

personally i have no issue with the trans in this car. i came from a DSG and i dont notice any extra lag in the shifts or delay from hitting the paddle to the shift. I have driven some cars with paddles and it feels like ages from the paddle click to the shift.

cant comment on the edition 1 stuff

there are many tuning options. they are all done by removing and flashing the ECU at this point so they are not easily done. most have to be sent out to be done.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
I was surprised by just how good the gear changes are in the C63s coupe. PDK is quicker in my 911 but there was never a moment driving the C63 where I thought the changes were poor or laggy and overall it is (imo) a great "driver's" car.

Quite honestly it is one of the best cars I've owned for the way it drives, feels and sounds (exhaust/engine).
Old 03-10-2017, 01:24 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
As of now, all biturbo ECU's have to be sent in to be bench tuned, regardless of who's tuning it.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:50 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing

Couple questions -

It isn't a torque converter and uses wet clutch packs, which will handle the torque the M177 outputs.