Sponsored by:

WannaGo Fast 1/2 mile in GA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W221 S65, W140 S600, W210 E430, W126 300SD
WannaGo Fast 1/2 mile in GA

Attended the WannaGoFast 1/2 mile event in Clayton, GA this past weekend. My second time to try this debacle....I thought I would give it another chance. I cannot express what a clusterF this whole event was. They made a huge deal of tech inspection (had to be signed off by a mechanic/shop) and using the proper Snell SA2010+ auto certified helmet...(no motorcycle helmets allowed! what BS), then didn't even inspect my vehicle OR even look at my helmet upon tech check in. The waiting line to get to the staging area to run was ridiculous...a long single lane, people not in their vehicles (so the line bottlenecks and doesn't move), just a real clusterF. After waiting FOREVER to run each time, I managed to get in a total of 4 runs from 10am to 6PM....all for the princely sum of $275.00. The organizational skills of the WannaGoFast company are a total joke.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by vee12
Attended the WannaGoFast 1/2 mile event in Clayton, GA this past weekend. My second time to try this debacle....I thought I would give it another chance. I cannot express what a clusterF this whole event was. They made a huge deal of tech inspection (had to be signed off by a mechanic/shop) and using the proper Snell SA2010+ auto certified helmet...(no motorcycle helmets allowed! what BS), then didn't even inspect my vehicle OR even look at my helmet upon tech check in. The waiting line to get to the staging area to run was ridiculous...a long single lane, people not in their vehicles (so the line bottlenecks and doesn't move), just a real clusterF. After waiting FOREVER to run each time, I managed to get in a total of 4 runs from 10am to 6PM....all for the princely sum of $275.00. The organizational skills of the WannaGoFast company are a total joke.
What was your mph for the 1/2 mile run?
Old 05-08-2017, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Yea man, at least give us some numbers
Old 05-08-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
/////PRO
Sounds like not the most efficient use of time by organizers, I feel your pain.

about the helmet, you do understand why in a car racing environment are motorcycle helmet is not allowed, right? Your safety is the priority in that decision, it boils down to the type and quantity of impacts the helmet is intended to withstand.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
I had to retire my Snell SA2005 helmet (2005's officially expired in January, 2017) because Snell 2010 or newer was required at my local drag strip. I bought a SA2015 open face, so should be set for the next decade.

For a half mile even, it doesn't surprise me that Snell SA2010 or newer is required because anything older would be expired.

So what did you run?!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
I think he was in a magno grey yellow stripes coupe. Maybe first time.

These events are not about efficiency, they are about cars and car guys, talking about cars and then running. I was there and yes it was slow, but I had a great time in a great venue. I ran 3 times before 12, and went to the highland NC for some eggs Benny. Perfect.

207 mph Nissan GTR and the Gallardo run were amazing. .
Old 05-09-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W221 S65, W140 S600, W210 E430, W126 300SD
I bought a SA2015 open face helmet for the event. I have several ECE R22 rated moto helmets which are the standard FIM and MotoGP uses, which IMHO are currently the best helmet ratings in the world regardless of what you are racing. The new Snell 2015 standard is actually a move toward the ECE R22 rating....Snell 2010 rated helmets were actually deemed TOO HARD, transfering too much energy to the brain (over 300gs) and they reduced it in the SA2015 to 250-275g...the same as the Top tier ECE R22 motorcycle rating. I would rather wear my full face ECE R22 rated moto helmet in any crash rather than the open face SA2015 rated piece I raced in.

The car (W221 S65) ran 144mph with first and half of second gear useless due to wheelspin....just could not get the big 5000lb girl to hook up.

Last edited by vee12; 05-09-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
These events are not about efficiency, they are about cars and car guys, talking about cars and then running. I was there and yes it was slow, but I had a great time in a great venue. I ran 3 times before 12, and went to the highland NC for some eggs Benny. Perfect.
This!!

I've been to three of these events, and competed in two. Each year gets more and more popular -- and with that, more crowded. I have never been able to run more than five times in a day. By the time you let 100+ cars race, take sponsor breaks, clean up after breakdowns, technical (timing) gremlins... you're lucky to get four good runs in. That's anyone.

While I'm in the staging line, I'm checking out other rides. Asking questions. Getting to see another owner bubble over with enthusiasm as he speculates what his baby "might" run on his first pass.

It's not a FIA racing event, but rather a safe venue to run head-to-head against machines you'll likely never see in traffic. Each run is a gift.

Yes, it's expensive. But so is filet mignon. If it's not worth the expense to you, there's a chance you're not the target market. I personally know the founder of this event, and he's a fantastic guy who pours a tremendous amount of energy into providing a rewarding experience.

Congrats on the mid 140's runs, that's moving along
Old 05-09-2017, 02:12 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Sounds like a bunch of horsesh*t to me.

With NoFlyZone, I was able to get 17 runs in by 2pm. 5 runs is a joke.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
Originally Posted by Guilty
Sounds like a bunch of horsesh*t to me.

With NoFlyZone, I was able to get 17 runs in by 2pm. 5 runs is a joke.
I can't speak for the other venues, but at Clayton GA there are only two paths on which cars can drive -- the main runway, and a side access road. If the cars are two-wide during staging, then you can't access the upper paddock area. So, the past few years they have kept the staging lane single-file to allow in/out access. This is as much for emergency vehicles as spectators.

I'm glad you were able to get 17 runs in, that's impressive. Personally I wouldn't want to do more than 10 passes in a given day, just to reduce wear/tear on the vehicle (especially if you've driven it to the event). Each run introduces risk, and if you're within ~2mph on the first four runs, you know what you're going to do the next six. But to each his own.

The beauty of capitalism is that if you feel like you've truly been wronged by a business, you can elect to take your money elsewhere. The WGF Clayton event sells out every year, normally within an hour of registration -- so I'm sure the added vacancy will be appreciated by someone else trying to get in.

All the best,