Warranty coverage and non-authorized service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n/a
Warranty coverage and non-authorized service

Hi folks!

I'm looking to buy my first (!!) Mercedes, and it'll be a c63s. One that I am looking at has had all the recommended service performed, by (according to the seller) "a good friend who works at a mercedes dealership".

I'm obviously not thrilled with that answer. They documented what was done, but it's basically scratches in a notebook.

My overall question is how particular are MB dealerships with warranty claims when scheduled maintenance is performed by a non-authorized shop? Maybe in a more general sense - if someone has their car serviced at a Big-O... invalidated warranty?

Appreciate any thoughts or experiences you have! thanks!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
I can't speak firsthand regarding Mercedes-Benz dealers but I can't think of a dealership that would invalidate a warranty simply because you took it to another shop for maintenance. For one thing, it is in the dealership's best interest for the warranty work to be performed since Mercedes (not the dealership) is footing the bill (and paying the dealership) for the work.

The problem with using a third-party shop nowadays is they don't always have access to the systems that are used to update the on-board computers and such and I don't know if the dealership would perform those updates free of charge.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty for basic service like an oil change or brake fluid flush if you are using a shop that you know and trust. It is of paramount importance, however, that they know exactly what parts and specifications to use because if their work does lead to a failure then obviously you are in trouble. You are under no obligation to divulge where prior service was performed.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Assuming you are in the US, it is illegal for them to invalidate the warranty because you used a third party provider or even parts. It's under the Magnuson-Moss act.