Sponsored by:

Dash cams!!! Which do you use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by digitalnav
AerowerkZ looks interesting... cant find a price or how to buy anywhere though on the website.
Email them at aerowerkzmb@gmail.com. I think it was $199.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
Had a blackvue since I got the car. Been great as far as field of view and ease of use. However it stopped showing the right time and date. I have tried everything but can't seem to get it to work. It will reset and change to a random date after a few days.
i was coming back from NC yesterday and dash cam caught a bucket that I had to dodge as well as some *** with a trailer that almost drove me off the road. This is exactly why I find these so important, you can see him coming up from behind, then basically driving me off the road. The wide angle makes it look a little less crazy but if I had not swerved he would have hit my front side right by the wheel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXEnC3IDKTb/

cant post video so linking to my IG post
Old 07-28-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by bgm130
Had a blackvue since I got the car. Been great as far as field of view and ease of use. However it stopped showing the right time and date. I have tried everything but can't seem to get it to work. It will reset and change to a random date after a few days.
i was coming back from NC yesterday and dash cam caught a bucket that I had to dodge as well as some *** with a trailer that almost drove me off the road. This is exactly why I find these so important, you can see him coming up from behind, then basically driving me off the road. The wide angle makes it look a little less crazy but if I had not swerved he would have hit my front side right by the wheel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXEnC3IDKTb/

cant post video so linking to my IG post

its things like this that make me want to get one.
The following users liked this post:
AMG C43 3LV6 (08-08-2018)
Old 07-28-2017, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by digitalnav
its things like this that make me want to get one.
I have one, but I still carry an extra beverage just to make my point clear. Horns and cameras are no longer enough! LOL
Old 07-30-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG C63s Coupe
I love the 2-ch Blackvue. I have it in my wife's Audi. My only complaint is about once every 3 months or so, it craps out and needs to reformat the memchip. It probably just needs a new one.

For the AMG, I was able to pick up an iRoad T10 while living in Korea for $320. It's a bit bulky but works great.

Anyone able to find an ACC power source in the right fuse box? The iRoad has a 3-hr shutoff function so I have both red/yellow wires ghetto tapped into the fuse box. But I'd prefer it to shut off immediately when I turn off my ignition.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 4MATIC
I have been using BlackVue cameras for a while and now have upgraded to the BlackVue DR900S-2CH. 4K resolution in the front/ 1080P HD in the rear. Now I am waiting to install the Blackvue b-124 PowerMagic Ultra battery to be able to record in parking mode. Great images overall and with the 4K front camera, night images are greatly improved The other advantage of the 4K 60 fps camera is that it allows for better zooming and catching fast moving images better.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
I also have the 2 channel Blackvue DR650GW. Install isn't too bad, I had a car stereo shop intsall front/rear camera and the magic pro for $125.

The front camera quality is good, rear is pretty bad. The software for the camera is glitchy and will occasionally freeze and the wifi rarely ever works.

As as others have stated, get a 32 mb micro sd or larger. You will have to reformat the sd card every few months. ONLY use their recommended sd card brands, as some other brands simply will not format.

In short, it's kind of a pain in the ***, but I would rather have it on my car than not. The motion detection and g force meter work very well. Trees blowing in the wind, birds, etc will set off the motion sensor unless you turn the sensitivity down.
alfster1 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 04:43 PM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by HTXgearhead
I also have the 2 channel Blackvue DR650GW. Install isn't too bad, I had a car stereo shop intsall front/rear camera and the magic pro for $125.

The front camera quality is good, rear is pretty bad. The software for the camera is glitchy and will occasionally freeze and the wifi rarely ever works.

As as others have stated, get a 32 mb micro sd or larger. You will have to reformat the sd card every few months. ONLY use their recommended sd card brands, as some other brands simply will not format.

In short, it's kind of a pain in the ***, but I would rather have it on my car than not. The motion detection and g force meter work very well. Trees blowing in the wind, birds, etc will set off the motion sensor unless you turn the sensitivity down.
I've been using this 128GB microSD card for about 1.5 years and it hasn't failed yet. I did a bit of research and apparently many others with dashcams recommended Lexar as being a sturdy and reliable card.

Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 633x 128GB UHS-I Card Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 633x 128GB UHS-I Card
Old 06-14-2018, 11:27 PM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by alfster1
I've been using this 128GB microSD card for about 1.5 years and it hasn't failed yet. I did a bit of research and apparently many others with dashcams recommended Lexar as being a sturdy and reliable card.

Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 633x 128GB UHS-I Card

Thanks for posting, I will take a look at that. Have you had any issue with the program freezing? My Blackvue program freezes pretty regularly on both of my newer PCs.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:47 PM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by HTXgearhead

Thanks for posting, I will take a look at that. Have you had any issue with the program freezing? My Blackvue program freezes pretty regularly on both of my newer PCs.
I haven't had any issues with the app freezing either on my Android devices or my MacOS based laptops.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
W212E63s[rwd sold]W211E63[sold] 645ci [sold]2018 C63s Estate[sold], 2017 gla 45 [Sold] E46m3 [sold]
I've got a Thinkware F770 front and rear coupled to a very beefy Cellink pro battery pack. Cellink Pro is pricey and bulky but gives much longer parking mode recording times than cellink b (https://www.dashwitness.com/shop/cellink-pro/ )

Usually very pleased with the Thinkware but this one time recently, this clown jumps a red light and misses my car by a whisker so i took the memory card out of the system and it corrupted it. Very worrying that this could happen. Also in parking mode it used to freeze and not switch back on before a recent firmware update. I havent had any freezing problems on the current firmware. Overall a good system but i understand there is a F800 out, i'd check that one out.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
a UFO
all of you that has done hardwiring, can you confirm if you get consistent power from passenger footwell fuse panel? *Not those with the blackbox hardwire kit, i believe it buffers the power with its own batter so unless you can tell the power from fuse box by itself, you are pulling it from the blackbox battery.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2015 BMW M4/1967 Ford Bronco
Have been trying to hardwire an A119s into my car for the past week but it's a major pain in the ***. I can't seem to find a fuse that's switched in either the driver or passenger side boxes. Everything is constant. The dash cam, along with the Uniden R3 that I've also been trying to wire, work fine when I plug the positive leads into the 216 and 217 slots - which are unused in my car - but my plan to use a male spade connector to plug in the leads was a fail since they're not secure enough and the cam/radar detector both cut off randomly while driving. Soooo, I ended ordering two SAM connector/fuse holders from the UK since I couldn't find any local online and the dealerships in FL don't stock them. Two connectors were only like $15 shipped and they should be here in like a week, so not a huge deal, but it's a major ***** to try and hard wire things in these cars.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:39 AM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
I have A119S, R3 and AL Priority all connected to switched power. All done by my stereo shop.

Cost me a few bills and no hassles.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by DJPoop
Have been trying to hardwire an A119s into my car for the past week but it's a major pain in the ***. I can't seem to find a fuse that's switched in either the driver or passenger side boxes. Everything is constant. The dash cam, along with the Uniden R3 that I've also been trying to wire, work fine when I plug the positive leads into the 216 and 217 slots - which are unused in my car - but my plan to use a male spade connector to plug in the leads was a fail since they're not secure enough and the cam/radar detector both cut off randomly while driving. Soooo, I ended ordering two SAM connector/fuse holders from the UK since I couldn't find any local online and the dealerships in FL don't stock them. Two connectors were only like $15 shipped and they should be here in like a week, so not a huge deal, but it's a major ***** to try and hard wire things in these cars.
I hard wired an A119 into my car in less than 30 minutes. Its extremely easy. You have to run the power to the fuse box in the rear. Tap into the cigarette lighter fuse with Add-a-fuse. Wires tuck easily into interior molding for very clean install. This setup is for those who want power when car is ON only.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
keep in mind that some lines may be switched but have a delay, meaning they go off 10+ minuets after ignition off. I know this from 204. I don’t have direct knowledge of 205 fuses.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Strafe1
I hard wired an A119 into my car in less than 30 minutes. Its extremely easy. You have to run the power to the fuse box in the rear. Tap into the cigarette lighter fuse with Add-a-fuse. Wires tuck easily into interior molding for very clean install. This setup is for those who want power when car is ON only.
Yeah I just didn't feel like running the wire through the trim to the rear after after already doing it for both the cam and radar detector. Pure laziness/hardheadedness. I ordered two of these a few days ago which should take like a week to get here from the UK, so I'll be able to use slots 216 and 217: https://www.smart-stuff.parts/black-fuse-holder
Old 06-16-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by KJ
I have A119S, R3 and AL Priority all connected to switched power. All done by my stereo shop.

Cost me a few bills and no hassles.
Actually just ordered AL Priority. I usually like tying to do things myself but I may let a shop handle that.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:47 PM
KJ

2020 GLE 53 AMG
Actually just ordered AL Priority. I usually like tying to do things myself but I may let a shop handle that.
A lot of effort spent mounting the sensors, leveling them, running wires etc. I'm not comfortable taking panels off my car, so I just leave it to them.

Drop the car off with all the boxes and come back when it's done. I've been using this shop for years, and they've never let me down! If you don't have a shop you trust like that, I can understand why you'd do it yourself.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:21 PM

2014 ML350 4MATIC

I just received my BlackVue b-124 PowerMagic Ultra Battery and hardwired it. I chose the location below the rear passenger seat and tapped Fuse 151 - Power Outlet Second Seat Line. The PowerMagic Ultra Battery was then placed above the fuse box and then the remaining connections were made. Fits nice and snug with sufficient space for proper circulation.

Last edited by alfster1; 06-16-2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot image
Old 06-18-2018, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Didn't know the seat can flip open like that. How do you get the seat to do that? Where is the locking lever/switch?
Old 06-18-2018, 05:28 PM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by otakki
Didn't know the seat can flip open like that. How do you get the seat to do that? Where is the locking lever/switch?
This is the rear passenger seat in an ml350. The seat cushion can be flipped up to reveal the fuse access panel.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:20 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
Those that have had dashcams professionally installed, could you please advise me has there been any damage (even if minimal?) when these dashcams have been installed and wires hidden?

Is it a simple process for a professional installer? How long does it take to install?

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:26 PM
KJ

2020 GLE 53 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6
Those that have had dashcams professionally installed, could you please advise me has there been any damage (even if minimal?) when these dashcams have been installed and wires hidden?

Is it a simple process for a professional installer? How long does it take to install?

Thank you in advance.
No damage, and the install is pretty straightforward. Takes about 1-2 hours.

I got my Dashcam, Radar Detector + Laser Jammer all installed at once.
AMG C43 3LV6 (07-25-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:26 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
Bought and had installed the Blackvue.

DR900S-2CH

Dual-Channel Cloud Dash​cam featuring 4K UHD front recording, H.265, Dual-Band Wi-Fi.

The vision is great and if you have an installer that walks you through the basic steps of setting it up on your phone, youre laughing.

Importantly sits "hidden" inside my black leather interior cabin and hidden to the left of the middle. (right hand driver) In addition I dont see any "ugly" wires and it feels like its a part of the car as opposed to being an accessory.
alfster1 (08-15-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dash cams!!! Which do you use?