Sponsored by:

BIG Rain = Hydrolock ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
Originally Posted by zdonner
Perhaps I should start a YouTube channel and tell positive stories about my C63S?
Based on the luck seen by the other C63S vloggers, neither of which has his car at the moment, it might not be a great idea... it's the C63S YouTube curse.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S
Originally Posted by GordonGEICO
Based on the luck seen by the other C63S vloggers, neither of which has his car at the moment, it might not be a great idea... it's the C63S YouTube curse.

Maybe I could make it work if I stencil a different logo on the car and rearrange the lettering on the back.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
I wish it was me that you saw but I'm currently driving a 2014 Porsche Cayman S. I moved up here in 2014... the area isn't that bad but the flooding is ridiculous. I used to live down near Lake Jackson/Freeport, so I'm used to weather but man... the roads get covered in standing water fast around here.

I actually haven't seen that many W205 AMG C63/S around here... I see a silver C63S sedan on 1960 from time to time, and I've seen a debadged black sedan that I think is a C63S based on the red brake calipers. Not even sure I've seen a coupe yet, only a couple cabs.

The silver sedan was probably me. I've had the car 2 years, and I've yet to see another silver one in the area. I've seen a white one and a black one (was an ED1), but not another silver.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s

*To address a previous comment*

Though I did not perform a scientifically accredited test to come to my *OPINION* of this subject, the aforementioned point from the video does fall in line with the line of thinking when making my comment of how it likely happened.

The internet is a melting pot of people, don't rush to your panic room the first time someone says scary things.

It rained extremely heavy for 4/5 days this week during my commute and even another day during my drive home of extreme rain wherein my DistronicPlus was unavailable again, my car still runs well despite my 32 mile commute.

Perhaps I should start a YouTube channel and tell positive stories about my C63S?
come back when you have evidence based peer review
Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Guarantee he tried driving through standing water. Seen it happen often here in Florida when the intake is at the lowest point on the front end. Doesn't take a lot of water to cover the intake and hydrolock the engine. It's why off roaders put the intake above the roof.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 PM

He just posted another video and according to AMG, a replacement engine is $71k. The car is totaled.

That sounds unbelievable. The base C63 isn't $71k.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S Sedan
Not to be selfish or sound rude, but its always the YouTubers who get the short end of the stick .

Sometimes I wonder if its just bad luck or they play this out and do it on purpose to get views.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 PM

I definitely feel like AutoVlog's content quality has gone down since he got the AMG, and his videos are needlessly full of filler like the other countless automotive "vloggers." Too many videos are 10 minutes when they should be three minutes.

Having said that, it still sucks for the guy. I like to believe at the end of the day he's still an enthusiast like the rest of us.

His official story is another car kicked up a big wave that he drove through. I guess the lesson here is if you intend to make a living being an enthusiast, be more careful with your toys or make sure you can live without.

His spec wasn't super rare so he can probably find a reasonable replacement for his car without having to order another one (if he wants to go that route and/or wait for MY2018 to show up on lots.)

I just thought it was amazing that a replacement engine was $71k, although the point was made that even if the engine was replaced, there might be lingering doubt/questions about the rest of the vehicle. That seems a bit far-fetched but who knows.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:51 PM

C63S Sedan
I definitely feel like AutoVlog's content quality has gone down since he got the AMG, and his videos are needlessly full of filler like the other countless automotive "vloggers." Too many videos are 10 minutes when they should be three minutes.

Having said that, it still sucks for the guy. I like to believe at the end of the day he's still an enthusiast like the rest of us.

His official story is another car kicked up a big wave that he drove through. I guess the lesson here is if you intend to make a living being an enthusiast, be more careful with your toys or make sure you can live without.

His spec wasn't super rare so he can probably find a reasonable replacement for his car without having to order another one (if he wants to go that route and/or wait for MY2018 to show up on lots.)

I just thought it was amazing that a replacement engine was $71k, although the point was made that even if the engine was replaced, there might be lingering doubt/questions about the rest of the vehicle. That seems a bit far-fetched but who knows.
Agreed. The fact he said he took a 6 year finance deal on this car and hopes Youtube will cover it. Its a tough spot. Not the financial spot id put myself in personally.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 W205 C63 AMG S Edition One
I see someone buying this car for a killer deal and swapping in a good engine.. If his story is true nothing else should be wrong with the car....
Old 08-11-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 E300
He should pull that video. recording those phone conversations is illegal in Pennsylvania....
Old 08-12-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic
I daily drive mine, I've been in rain 3 times now in the past 60 days that was so heavy the Distronic Plus was unavailable and most cars were pulled off the road, I've had no issues with this.

I'd suspect this person either drove into a very large puddle with the throttle open or decided to clean his engine bay with a pressure washer, then go for a spirited drive.

I'm interested to hear more FACTS about this but right now I'd suspect it's an ID10T error...
I know as fact that this guy owns and uses a pressure washer, including in a vlog where he was spraying through his radiator from very close proximity. Could he have recently washed his car and predisposed himself to this hydro locking event?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
Check this video out...on hydrolock...
Old 08-13-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 BMW 525iA
He just posted another video and according to AMG, a replacement engine is $71k. The car is totaled.

That sounds unbelievable. The base C63 isn't $71k.
I can not believe that myself.

I find it near impossible to think that mercedes would sell a base C63 for less money then what the engine costs.

Something most be wrong with those numbers for just one engine.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:20 PM

19 E63s
Originally Posted by speedyunk
I can not believe that myself.

I find it near impossible to think that mercedes would sell a base C63 for less money then what the engine costs.

Something most be wrong with those numbers for just one engine.
What the engine cpsts to build and what they sell it for are obviously far apart.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 E300
Well I'm guessing the 71k was for not just the engine but shipping costs (several thousand), and labor for removing the old and installing the new which wouldn't be a one hour job... but who knows
Old 08-14-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by dae123
Well I'm guessing the 71k was for not just the engine but shipping costs (several thousand), and labor for removing the old and installing the new which wouldn't be a one hour job... but who knows
71k is really high. I mean they drop the engine to put in Down pipes so its only a few hours to take it out and put a new one in. it is hard to believe MB doesnt have engines around for issues like this that are covered under warranty. Makes it a bit scary for people running stage 3. if you blow your motor you are looking at a totaled car.

Maybe the next time he will have better luck. he almost crashed it the first time out doing a burnout, also he can try the Proper break in on the new one
Old 08-14-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by dae123
For perspective, the W204 6.2L was a $45k job to order a new one and ship it and install it at a dealer. On the one hand, that's a crazy price so maybe the $71k isn't that far fetched, but on the other, could it really be $25k more for the new 4.0L?
Old 08-14-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by Passat774
I see someone buying this car for a killer deal and swapping in a good engine.. If his story is true nothing else should be wrong with the car....
Or better yet just rebuild the motor. Could probably be done for a few $k assuming they l let you buy the parts.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S
Originally Posted by Welwooder
I know as fact that this guy owns and uses a pressure washer, including in a vlog where he was spraying through his radiator from very close proximity. Could he have recently washed his car and predisposed himself to this hydro locking event?
It sounds like he and another driver shared a puddle, but yeah if you sprayed water into the intake and then went for a drive - it's possible.

I've taken apart the intake system on my car, honestly, I'm not sure you could suck up water simply from having it in there as it would require an amount of suction that couldn't be possible without blocking the opening of the intake. This of course is possible if you consider the current story of how this happened in which it was a wall of water and I'd suspect he was driving forward and not stopped so there would have been a moment where the intake was completely blocked with water and the suctions needed to draw the water completely vertical through the filter, could be possible.

The price for the engine replacement obviously is a total cost, I don't watch this guys videos because I don't support content I don't like. So going off what's been said here it seems that number may have been quoted on the phone - if not I'd suspect that number is the vehicle replacement cost and was just stated to iterate that the car was totaled and that is likely what his insurance company is going to fork over.

I do believe the engine is very expensive NEW as it would need to be "special ordered" considering, but I'm with the others that the cost of the engine itself cannot possibly be that close to the cost of the entire car or greater than. Thinking so, is flat out silly if you believe that.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:37 PM

19 E63s
I disagree I think 71k ia probably what it costs for a new engine to be built shipped, and installed. Mercedes can charge whatever they want, this is probably the only situation where someone would buy just an engine, so they don't have resources allocated to building separate engines that are not tied to a VIN already. It obviously costs them much much less to built but they can sell it for any number they want.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 W205 C63 AMG S Edition One
I found a used E63 W177 engine for 20k...

Umm more horespower!!

I wonder what the car will sell for at auction???

https://cpprohomeky.car-part.com/ima...ock%23%2032730
Old 08-14-2017, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Insurance companies get wholesale pricing for repairs. They'll get a discount. This guy's full of maird if he says it's $71k. That's probably the retail price to Joe Schmo on the street. He's using the number for drama, and hence, views.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:34 PM

C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Insurance companies get wholesale pricing for repairs. They'll get a discount. This guy's full of maird if he says it's $71k. That's probably the retail price to Joe Schmo on the street. He's using the number for drama, and hence, views.
Yeah, this guy lost a lot of my respect. Ever since he got his car he's been clickbait mess with fluff.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by digitalnav
Yeah, this guy lost a lot of my respect. Ever since he got his car he's been clickbait mess with fluff.
Sounds like it.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BIG Rain = Hydrolock ?