Sponsored by:

AMG Academy At COTA (DRIFT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
AMG Academy At COTA (DRIFT)

I wanted to write this to put some info out on the forums. Before I signed up I searched all over to find out any info on it and to see what people thought. Came up empty but decided to sign up and after 5 months of waiting I attended the event at COTA on 12/14. Drift is done exclusively in the C63S coupes, and after beating the car all day long I feel a lot better about how much abuse these cars can actually take. For any of you that have done the other events the start is the same. Check in, sit with your team, and a quick meeting. They split us up into 2 groups of 8 and each group gets 4 cars. Then a quick stretch session and you pick a partner for the day I Happened to team up with another Guy from NJ with a C63s coupe so we were both familiar as they review the features of the car. You swapped drivers every 2 laps. You can either sit in the car as a passenger or they have tents with seats and refreshments set up at the start line. The morning was split up into 2 modules. This starts at 10;30 and ends at lunch around 1:30. Module 1 was a “omega” course that as the name suggests is shaped like the “OMEGA” symbol. taught you how to start kicking the back end out and then bringing it back around the other way Module 2 was the figure 8 event. Got you to spin the car both ways

Lunch: was quick and again similar to the AMG academy eventsSlalom: set up 4 cones in a straight line. Point here was to learn how to kick the back out and then bring it around the other way. Also how to use the brakes to quickly end a skid. At the fourth cone you did a 180 and came back the other way. Drift course: this basically put everything from the day together with one added bonus “the garage”. Couse started out with a slalom that lead into the figure 8. After coming out of the last turn you had to spin a 180 and roll backwards into a large square marked by cones. At 4pm both teams met up at the drift course and it was time for the Competition. You had 2 chances to do the drift course getting as many points as possible. You had to get a slide at each of 5 cones for points. You were judged on the best of the 2 runs. This was over by 4:45 and headed inside for the results and a refreshment before leaving. Our team ended up winning the team trophies and I managed to get first place and getting a shirt and a Leather duffle bag. I personally thought the entire event was a lot of fun. It’s not done on the actual track so doubt that the one at Laguna Seca is much different. They wet down all the tracks so while you are learning the “drift” its only on wet roads. I can see how it’s a hit or miss for some people. Drifting is one of those things that takes a lot of practice, so if you have not tried it before or played around in the snow before don’t expect to walk out a drift master. There will be a lot of spinning out and fighting understeer during the day. The instructors make it look so easy so when you try it you are expecting to just slide around with no issues. The last thing I can say is that if you go make sure you take a ride with the instructor. Being able to see how they use the wheel and feather the gas and brake first hand makes it easier. After my ride along I realized that I was giving it WAY too much power. Anyway hope this helps anyone considering it.
The following 3 users liked this post by bgm130:
AMGSuperSaloon (12-18-2017), HarrySeaward (12-16-2017), KJ (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Sounds awesome! I was actually signed up for that same day at COTA but had to cancel last minute. I did the AMG Academy day last weekend at COTA and it was an incredible experience. The facilities and staff were first class and the track itself is a blast to drive. I would have easily paid for this experience, so it's a win-win given that it's free.

We did a skidpad/drifting course in the C63S Coupe (felt like home), and most people were swapping ends. Once I got the hang of it, it was a ton of fun steering with the throttle and feeling the rear diff working its *** off... but like you said, it's not easy!
Old 12-17-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
I'm glad you posted this; thanks. Definitely sounds like fun.

Do they give you any opportunity to learn/practice how to drift around a corner/sweeping curve, hold/maintain the drift, and then recover and accelerate out? You know...the fun part hehe
Old 12-18-2017, 09:44 AM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Sounds awesome! I was actually signed up for that same day at COTA but had to cancel last minute. I did the AMG Academy day last weekend at COTA and it was an incredible experience. The facilities and staff were first class and the track itself is a blast to drive. I would have easily paid for this experience, so it's a win-win given that it's free.

We did a skidpad/drifting course in the C63S Coupe (felt like home), and most people were swapping ends. Once I got the hang of it, it was a ton of fun steering with the throttle and feeling the rear diff working its *** off... but like you said, it's not easy!
Actually had a lot of people that did multiple days there and i was jealous. being at the track but not being able to actauly take a lap around it was a bummer. certainly makes me want to go back next time for the advanced. Getting it for free is awesome, its actually surprising how few people actually know about it. i would say 50% of my group that had AMG has no idea there was a free credit included with purchase of a car!.
there was a ton of swapping ends all day. as you know its a delicate balance of steering brake, and throttle.
BTW congrats on your P1 on the time trials!!

Originally Posted by FDNewbie
I'm glad you posted this; thanks. Definitely sounds like fun.

Do they give you any opportunity to learn/practice how to drift around a corner/sweeping curve, hold/maintain the drift, and then recover and accelerate out? You know...the fun part hehe
Yes i woulds say that the figure 8 which is in a VERY large area gives you that as does the Omega. i have done a VERY crude drawing of it below. you have to come in on the left around the blue kick it out all the way around and then head for the gate.
the figure 8 is more like 2 drift circles you can go around one a few times and then accelerate out.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by bgm130
Actually had a lot of people that did multiple days there and i was jealous. being at the track but not being able to actauly take a lap around it was a bummer. certainly makes me want to go back next time for the advanced. Getting it for free is awesome, its actually surprising how few people actually know about it. i would say 50% of my group that had AMG has no idea there was a free credit included with purchase of a car!.
there was a ton of swapping ends all day. as you know its a delicate balance of steering brake, and throttle.
Well not exactly...

In the US, the AMG Driver's Package is only provided when you purchase an "S" model (C63 S, E63 S, etc etc). It basically provides you with two things:

1. Increasing the electronic limit from 155 mph to 180 mph (I can vouch for this )
2. Access to the AMG Driving Academy with a substantial discount.

Yes i woulds say that the figure 8 which is in a VERY large area gives you that as does the Omega. i have done a VERY crude drawing of it below. you have to come in on the left around the blue kick it out all the way around and then head for the gate.
the figure 8 is more like 2 drift circles you can go around one a few times and then accelerate out.

Awesome! Wanted to make sure, as that was one of the really important aspects for me.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:14 AM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Well not exactly...

In the US, the AMG Driver's Package is only provided when you purchase an "S" model (C63 S, E63 S, etc etc). It basically provides you with two things:

1. Increasing the electronic limit from 155 mph to 180 mph (I can vouch for this )
2. Access to the AMG Driving Academy with a substantial discount.

Awesome! Wanted to make sure, as that was one of the really important aspects for me.
In the US it goes like this, i dont mean to argue just want to make sure proper info is out there
ANY purchase of an AMG vehicle gives you a 1 day credit for the AMG academy see here.
https://www.amgacademy.com/register/...urchase-Reward
I know this since some people did the basic earlier that week after purchase of a CLA. You can also ask the c43 guys as they now get it included(or look in thier sub-forum)
If you register for a Private lounge ID (maybe this is S models only) then you can get a discount on the AMG driving academy. believe its 20%
Old 12-19-2017, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by bgm130
In the US it goes like this, i dont mean to argue just want to make sure proper info is out there
ANY purchase of an AMG vehicle gives you a 1 day credit for the AMG academy see here.
https://www.amgacademy.com/register/...urchase-Reward
I know this since some people did the basic earlier that week after purchase of a CLA. You can also ask the c43 guys as they now get it included(or look in thier sub-forum)
If you register for a Private lounge ID (maybe this is S models only) then you can get a discount on the AMG driving academy. believe its 20%
Not an argument. I stand corrected

The Driver's Package is standard for "S" AMG models, however, and in addition to the AMG Academy credit you mentioned, it also raises the electronic speed limit as well.