Sponsored by:

Glove box weird issue with handle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 S AMG
Glove box weird issue with handle

Have any of you noticed when you use the valet key to lock the glove box, the lever handle with the key hole dangles outward and is loose? Once you re-insert the key and unlock it, it opens and closes normally, but the lever handle is in place. Don't know if this is something normal on a C63 w205. It's kind of annoying and super obvious for someone peaking around your car that you have locked the glove box.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 C63s
This happened to my car. Took it into the dealership and they replace the glove box door under warranty. Kind of annoying. They said something about the spring that holds the latch in place when in the locked position failed.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 S AMG
Originally Posted by dforman15
This happened to my car. Took it into the dealership and they replace the glove box door under warranty. Kind of annoying. They said something about the spring that holds the latch in place when in the locked position failed.
Is that something that is fixable without having to take it in for service/warranty claim? I found online the part number for the entire front panel 205-680-02-98-9J38 I can take it for a warranty claim, but afraid a MB dealer might charge me. Do you know the part number for the spring? If its out of place or slipped out, i'm going to try to open in. There has to be a way to open it. Any ideas?
Old 02-01-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 C63s
Honestly I don't know. I was taking my car in for another reason, I pointed it out to my SA and he said they replace the whole glove box door. Its taken care under warranty. If it doesn't bother you that much leave it alone until you have bring your car in for a service or other reason and point it out to them. If your more of a DYI guy I just don't know. sorry
Old 02-01-2018, 03:23 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by dforman15
My glove box handle does the exact same thing when locked.

Funny thing is maybe a week or two after I bought the car I had a strange noise coming from the glove box. It's like something was rolling around inside the glove box but nothing was in there. Tracked down the noise's location, and it was coming from inside the door. It went away after a few days and never came back so there was never a need to have it looked at by the dealer. I'm willing to bet I had the same spring failure and the spring it either lodged inside the door somewhere or it worked it's way out somehow.