Sponsored by:

European Delivery and Nürburgring, other tracks, and Autobahn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
European Delivery and Nürburgring, other tracks, and Autobahn

In reply to question if the insurance covers taking a car on the Nürburgring; Apparently not -- specifically, "A.1.5.2 Insurance cover shall not be granted for losses caused as a result of participation in officially approved motor sport events, the aim of which is to achieve maximum speeds. This shall also apply to training and practice runs connected with such events. Any participation in motoring events not approved by the authorities represents a breach of obligation according to D.2.2." Note, as a lawyer I question if this might arguably even apply to breaking a set speed limit on the Autobahn. [N/A to me. I am taking an AMG GTR ring taxi around the ring the day before my car pick-up to get my speed fix.]

See https://mbworld.org/forums/european-...-amg-c63s.html and https://mbworld.org/forums/european-...ing-along.html for more details on my EDP experience.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
polarwhite AMG C63s W205
Proper insurance cover in Europe during a track day is very, very expensive. I got a quote for one day insurance cover in the Belgian Spa track - the price was (for max car value 60.000 euro and 2000 euro own risk) over 600 euro/day.
Autobahns - there are many unlimited autobahns available - recommended speed is 130 km/h, but there are no upper limits. 200-250 km/hour are normal speeds - however the speed needs to be in relation with the traffic situation.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
I did not state my point clearly. Rippe is right that Autobahns _may_ have no upper limits, but that may be overridden by signs that dynamically change due to traffic, time of day, weather, etc. My intended point was about exceeding a limit or the case where the recommended limit (130) is exceeded and an accident results. My understanding is that one can still be partially liable in Germany even when totally without fault but your 130+ speed was a factor in the severity of the damages.

Incidentally, signage may be lane based, so that an outside lane is 80 kmph and the innermost lane is 130 Kmph. Ignoring any limit is a no no. Failure to yield to faster traffic, staying in the inside lane, and passing on the right are serious no nos, laws I wish our cops would enforce here.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by rroberts
In reply to question if the insurance covers taking a car on the Nürburgring; Apparently not -- specifically, "A.1.5.2 Insurance cover shall not be granted for losses caused as a result of participation in officially approved motor sport events, the aim of which is to achieve maximum speeds. This shall also apply to training and practice runs connected with such events. Any participation in motoring events not approved by the authorities represents a breach of obligation according to D.2.2." Note, as a lawyer I question if this might arguably even apply to breaking a set speed limit on the Autobahn. [N/A to me. I am taking an AMG GTR ring taxi around the ring the day before my car pick-up to get my speed fix.]

See https://mbworld.org/forums/european-...-amg-c63s.html and https://mbworld.org/forums/european-...ing-along.html for more details on my EDP experience.
Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but your concern is irrelevant since you need to follow engine break-in procedures recommended by AMG.

I did ED for my Coupe in October 2016 and while it was an incredible experience (absolutely recommend it), it gave me major blue ***** not being able to fully experience the car on the Autobahn, Black Forest, Swiss Alps, etc. because you are not supposed to exceed 85 mph and the RPM’s cannot exceed 4500 and/or put full load on the engine. Once you run it for 1000 miles or so (can’t remember exact mileage) and get the rear diff fluid changed out by the dealer at 1850 miles, then you’re good to go.

Some people just say screw it and ignore break-in, but having personally spoken to a few of the engine builders myself at AMG, I would absolutely not do that.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Whitten (02-03-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe, Triumph 675R Daytona, Triumph Explorer.
A lot of UK insurers actually list the Nurburgring as not covered in the small print on insurance. I have been round a few times I would say give it a try but go easy and have another person in the car with you to be a second set of eyes.
There are a LOT of regulars there in weekend track cars that dont care too much if they have a bump... Just be careful!

If you are there for the evening I would also recommend this place for a steak and some racing nostalgia covering all the walls http://www.am-tiergarten.de/de/resta...e-nuerburgring .

Also I would recommend you get ADAC breakdown cover while in Germany as from memory they are the only recovery company cleared to collect anyone from the ring. Plus they are everywhere!

In truth you are much better off getting a track day at somewhere like Spa.

As Roberts noted you have to be very much aware of sudden speed restrictions on the autobahns. I drove from Switzerland - Baden Baden - Stuttgart - Nurburgring last year ( https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...pic-heavy.html) and only got to open the car up fully to to its top speed on the German roads twice in all those miles.
The second time I actually got a smile and a nod from a police car I over took (very carefully). The Germans love their cars, but not if you are being silly!
The following users liked this post:
Uga Uga (02-04-2018)