Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2018 | 01:00 PM

C63 amg esate
Performance Seats

Any one else finds these uncomfortable on a long journey
Old 04-06-2018 | 02:15 PM

2016 C63S
actually i have found them better then my last few cars. made a few long drives last summer and did not find myself constantly moving around and shifting like in other cars. but i have heard/read the opposite so depends on body type
Old 04-06-2018 | 03:24 PM

C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by bgm130
actually i have found them better then my last few cars. made a few long drives last summer and did not find myself constantly moving around and shifting like in other cars. but i have heard/read the opposite so depends on body type
Yes I heard that before, I’m 5ft 11” and 12 stone, normal build and done the same 200 mile trips in my previous C63 with standard seats without any problem and I’ve tried all the adjustments, I just think they need more padding either that or I do, I wanted to change to the C63S and here in the UK they come as standard with these seats so I didn’t have a choice.

Old 04-06-2018 | 06:07 PM

2018 Mercedes C63s AMG
i find them less comfortable than 14/18 way seats found in the Porsche 991 cars......they are simply more stiff and have less padding......are they uncomfortable to me (5'10 athletic)? no. are they as comfortable as the standard c63 seats? i personally don't think so. i love their look though!
Old 04-06-2018 | 06:39 PM

C63S Coupe 2017
Originally Posted by Fordgt40
Any one else finds these uncomfortable on a long journey
I found them uncomfortable on a short journey. I test drove one with the performance seats and immediately knew that I'd prefer the regular ones.
Old 04-06-2018 | 06:45 PM

C63s
I love the performance seats, they may not have the same level of padding as comfort seats but I can’t say I ever get out of the car think they were uncomfortable.

I drove about 1,000kms in them to get the car home when I first bought it in 1 trip and I found them just as comfortable as the seats in my previous e92 M3
Old 04-06-2018 | 06:46 PM

C63S Coupe
I've got a new C63S and I've had it just over a week. So far I've done just over 400 miles in it.

I'm finding the performance seats really uncomfortable. My back, hips and backside is in pain with these seats. I'm about 18 stone (250 pounds) and after reading these posts, could this be the issue? Being over-weight?
Has anyone got any tips to improve the comfort of performance seats?

BTW, In the UK if you buy a C63S you get performance seats, there is no other choice.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2018 | 11:15 PM

2016 C63s
I was 260lbs and I don't feel like I was ever that uncomfortable. I would feel pressure from the side bolsters because I was a little wider than the side bolsters would allow for but I don't feel like I ever complained about pain. With that being said, I'm at 235 now and I will admit it is better. I fit in the seat more comfortably. I know it seems silly but double check that both sets of bolsters are in the full relaxed position. I got my car back from the valet one time and the seat had clearly been moved. I hit the memory setting and off I went. About 30 mins into the drive I kept moving around saying something isn't right with this seat. I hit the memory setting again and again with no changes. Started messing with lumbar and bolster settings and sure enough, they weren't in the full relaxed position. The memory doesn't save those settings. My E90 M3 was the same way. So I would check that and I would also try different lumbar settings. Sometimes I feel like having too much lumbar in pushes you out of the seat and makes you sit awkwardly causing other problems. Hope that helps.
Old 04-06-2018 | 11:45 PM

Bmw
C63 is a "luxury" coupe but I don't think it's meant to be very comfortable. I have the performance seat and I find it quite acceptable. Too comfortable and I'll fall asleep like in my wife's SUV. Basically it's like complaining to the dealer about jerky shifts. Sure, they will fix the problem, by detuning the crap out of it. C63 are meant to feel "sporty".
Old 04-07-2018 | 05:35 AM

C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by oajr
i find them less comfortable than 14/18 way seats found in the Porsche 991 cars......they are simply more stiff and have less padding......are they uncomfortable to me (5'10 athletic)? no. are they as comfortable as the standard c63 seats? i personally don't think so. i love their look though!
I’m with you on that, my son had a 991 GT3 and I had no problem with that, I also run a GT40, no problem there although to be fair I don’t do the distance in that. I think they need more padding, I would certainly chosen the standard ones if I’d know about it and test drives don’t show up the problem. Apart from that I love the car, it’s an estate by the way.
Old 04-07-2018 | 02:10 PM

W205 C63S 2015
I don't find my Performance Seats uncomfortable at all, rather the opposite. Way better than the ones I had in my Audi S5 and my CLA 45 AMG. I'm 193cm/6ft 3” and about 90kgs/200lbs.
Old 04-07-2018 | 05:27 PM

C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by daxelsson
I don't find my Performance Seats uncomfortable at all, rather the opposite. Way better than the ones I had in my Audi S5 and my CLA 45 AMG. I'm 193cm/6ft 3” and about 90kgs/200lbs.
Must be me then, I had a CLA 45 for a week as a loan car and no problem with that, one of my pals has been in my car and he loves the seats, it’s weird, I’ve never had an issue with the seats in the dozens of cars I’ve owned including the 4 previous c63’s.
Old 04-07-2018 | 07:48 PM
KJ

2020 GLE 53 AMG
Must be me then, I had a CLA 45 for a week as a loan car and no problem with that, one of my pals has been in my car and he loves the seats, it’s weird, I’ve never had an issue with the seats in the dozens of cars I’ve owned including the 4 previous c63’s.
Maybe father time is catching up with you now?
Old 04-08-2018 | 04:05 AM

C63 amg esate
[QUOTE=KJ;7424583]Maybe father time is catching up with you now? [/QUOTE

That sounds like my wife talking.
Old 04-08-2018 | 05:57 AM

2017 C63s AMG - 2011 CL65 AMG - 2015 G63 AMG
I have a friend who flips cars. He bought a MY16 sedan with performance seats. He's kind of on the heavier side and he told me after he drove the car for an hour his back hurt so bad he had to take Advil. I assumed it was because he just didn't fit, but I sat in the car to check it out sometime later and noticed the bolstering was set to the tightest, most inward position. I showed him how to adjust the bolsters using the switches on the side of the seat and he said it got 10x as comfortable, and had no problems after that. I think Mercedes should put those controls somewhere more visible with more context for those who are unfamiliar with the car.
The following users liked this post:
right_mr (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018 | 06:11 AM

C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by 4LTwinTurbo
I have a friend who flips cars. He bought a MY16 sedan with performance seats. He's kind of on the heavier side and he told me after he drove the car for an hour his back hurt so bad he had to take Advil. I assumed it was because he just didn't fit, but I sat in the car to check it out sometime later and noticed the bolstering was set to the tightest, most inward position. I showed him how to adjust the bolsters using the switches on the side of the seat and he said it got 10x as comfortable, and had no problems after that. I think Mercedes should put those controls somewhere more visible with more context for those who are unfamiliar with the car.
Thanks but I’ve tried them on the widest settings.

Old 04-08-2018 | 06:33 AM

2017 C63s AMG - 2011 CL65 AMG - 2015 G63 AMG

Thanks but I’ve tried them on the widest settings.

I do agree they are a bit hard regardless...
Old 04-08-2018 | 09:15 AM

2018 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by usaviking
I found them uncomfortable on a short journey. I test drove one with the performance seats and immediately knew that I'd prefer the regular ones.
same here.... 20 minutes and let me out of this test drive.
Old 04-09-2018 | 08:35 AM

2015 C63S
Despite my preconceptions, I find them to be completely comfortable, even on longer drives (3 hour), and I am 6'1" 245 lbs.
I always viewed the car as a performance vehicle, rather than a luxury one, so that perception may color my opinion.

The seats are definitely not cushy, with endless adjustment, but i've never felt discomfort in them and I like the way the bolsters hold you in position when cornering.
Old 04-09-2018 | 11:43 AM

W212E63s[rwd sold]W211E63[sold] 645ci [sold]2018 C63s Estate[sold], 2017 gla 45 [Sold] E46m3 [sold]
it's an odd one, on the gla 45 i had, sometimes i messed with the lumbar support and, i just couldnt get comfortable at all and on longer journeys (1 hours +) i would feel a bit iffy with definite back ache. Seems like the problems started when i becan messing with the rear back support. Had AMGs with these sorts of seats now for 18 months. That said, i reckon i'm used to the seats totally. The new car (estate c63s) has given me no problems in terms of discomfort at all no matter how long the journey except the extendable thigh support area which is not the most comfortable. I'm 5'11 and athletic (160ish LB) and dont have much padding on my rear end so tend to get uncomfortable easily. Spent a few hours at an AMG course in similar seats just today and driving like i stole the car, drifting etc. Not one second of discomfort. i suppose my focus was elsewhere (not crashing into a barrier).But on longer journeys i do think these seats are not ideal sometimes and i've thought about getting a thin layer of padding to put onto the back and bottom of the seat which i am sure will do the trick.

Apparently, the s version can be specced to have the standard amg sports seats rather than the performance ones.
Old 04-09-2018 | 01:31 PM

2018 C63S Sedan
Justhaving taken delivery of a 2018 S sedan I can tell you " the standard AMG sports seats" are what is standard in the S car, at least here in the USA. The performance seats are an extra cost option.
Old 04-09-2018 | 04:08 PM

C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by midareff1
Justhaving taken delivery of a 2018 S sedan I can tell you " the standard AMG sports seats" are what is standard in the S car, at least here in the USA. The performance seats are an extra cost option.
When I specced my car here in the UK there was no option to select the standard seats, I now put a cushion on mine, if that doesn’t work long term reluctantly a fully specced C63S estate will have to find a new home.
Old 04-09-2018 | 04:54 PM

C63S Coupe

When I specced my car here in the UK there was no option to select the standard seats, I now put a cushion on mine, if that doesn’t work long term reluctantly a fully specced C63S estate will have to find a new home.
Ive considered a cushion, but my head is already touching the roof (mine is a coupe), so a cushion would make it difficult to drive. :-(
i drove a C63S with performance seats (UK too so no option of standard seats for the S) for half an hour on a test drive and had no problems at all that I can remember. Hence why I ordered the S with performance seats. But after a few days of driving the car with them I'm struggling. I think it's just a case of finding the correct adjustment. I've got hip ache, backside ache, neck ache and shoulder ache.

however, on my previous M3 comp pack, I also had aches and pains and in time they virtually went away. Either I broke the seat in, or my body just got used to it. So I guess time will tell.
Old 04-09-2018 | 05:11 PM

C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by dopper99

Ive considered a cushion, but my head is already touching the roof (mine is a coupe), so a cushion would make it difficult to drive. :-(
i drove a C63S with performance seats (UK too so no option of standard seats for the S) for half an hour on a test drive and had no problems at all that I can remember. Hence why I ordered the S with performance seats. But after a few days of driving the car with them I'm struggling. I think it's just a case of finding the correct adjustment. I've got hip ache, backside ache, neck ache and shoulder ache.

however, on my previous M3 comp pack, I also had aches and pains and in time they virtually went away. Either I broke the seat in, or my body just got used to it. So I guess time will tell.
I’m 100% on that and I’m sure they’re very good for track work but for everyday driving not so, short journeys OK but for longer distance they need more padding.
Old 04-09-2018 | 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Quite the opposite for me. I'm 5' 7'' and feel they are the most comfortable, aggressively bolstered seats I've sat in... I love them. I was fully expecting to be in pain during long trips, but I've done 5+ hour trips with no problems. My wife finds them extremely comfortable as well, and she has lower back issues.

I used to daily my old B5 S4 with Status Racing Ring Bucket Seats, and those things were insanely bolstered. Carbon fiber shell (weighed around 8-9lbs for the whole leather seat), with memory foam padding. Now THOSE things were uncomfortable! But looked freakin' great. There was no way you could fit in them with a waist larger than a 32''.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Performance Seats