C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone drive more in Manual than automatic? Is more aggressive/enjoyable/fast?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
c63 Coupe, GLC63
Does anyone drive more in Manual than automatic? Is more aggressive/enjoyable/fast?

Simply put, is the car more of a beast in manual mode in your experience? I seem to get more pop and crackles with manual. But I don't know if I'm faster with manual or the automatic transmission when I want to floor it; I will miss shifts sometimes (especially in 1st gear S+). I took an except below from Tobias, saying that the car tends to behave more like a NA v8 in manual mode. What are your thoughts and do you agree?

-----------------

"No matter which drive mode you’re in, it’s worth experimenting with the manual transmission mode (the button is on the center console). Manual mode doesn’t just put more control at your fingertips, AMG boss Tobias Moers explained -- after our turn at the track, naturally. It impacts throttle mapping, engine braking and more, and relies on parameters including lateral acceleration to coax “behavior more like a naturally aspirated engine” from the twin-turbo V8"

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...#ixzz5ESDGdL4d
Old 05-03-2018, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
I drive in manual 99% of the time, but I come from driving performance manuals over the last 15 years and it's what I'm used to. Normal auto mode is just so boring to me. I don't like shifting gears automatically unless I'm in traffic, and I prefer to downshift rather than use the "kickdown" feature.

I don't think I can tell any difference the mapping in automatic vs manual mode. I would imagine if you use M mode, you will get more pops and cracks naturally because you can build boost in a gear and let off abruptly without it shifting. That usually results in a gun-shot or four as the engine brakes in gear
Old 05-03-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 S Coupe
On public roads I always drive in S+ (automatic mode). Only when I drive on track, I use Race (manual mode).

Could not tell you if there is a noticable difference between manual or automatic S+ mode.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 c63s coupe Fordfgt Supercar
I have the Dinan high performance tune...race is the way to go for that visceral feeling.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W213 E63
Curious, which is quicker, say 1/4 mile? Sport+ or race mode?