Sponsored by:

ECU Cannot be Decrypted & Tuned? Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E63 AMG
ECU Cannot be Decrypted & Tuned? Help!

Hello all, I have an interesting issue with my 2017 C63 AMG Coupe. I just purchased it recently (used) at a Mercedes dealership, so naturally it went through inspections & whatnot before it was offered for sale. Possibly, a software update being rolled out.

I recently pulled the ECU & sent it to a highly reputable tuner, whom has tuned multiple AMG’s I have owned. They have also tuned plenty of W205’s, some of which hold records on 1/4 mile runs (hence, they’re familiar with these cars) but haven’t encountered this thus far. They came across an issue with decrypting the code on the ECU - long story short: the ECU has an encryption they have yet to have seen, which rendered it unable to be tuned/modified. I’m now having it sent back to me & will put it back in the car; they are looking into the programming/files they took from it & will attempt to decipher it so I may have the car tuned soon - hopefully.

My question/concern - is there a new software update that was implemented on the M177 ECU that has changed the decryption code that is necessary to unlock & tune it? Would be helpful to hear from anyone that is aware of a new patch that may have been implemented, as I only just recently picked up this car less than a month ago (which is when the dealer could’ve possibly flashed new programming onto it upon trade in from the previous owner). Any info or insight would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
Or could it be that it was previously tuned and whoever did it encrypted it? Just a thought.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E63 AMG
The ECU itself didn’t show any signs of being tuned, while it also had to of been flashed over in some form to be sold as a CPO - maybe? Not sure to be honest.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
what AMG8 said is likely correct. in many cases dealers cannot just flash over a tuned ECU and it has to be returned to stock. The dealer actaully tried this on my car as it would have been easier then removing the ECU another time but was not successful. with the location of the ecu its likely whoever traded/sold it didnt flash it back to stock.
any other modifications to the car that would hint at a tune?
Old 05-18-2018, 10:15 AM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
A tune is not something the dealer would check for or try to "flash over" for a CPO.

They're more concerned about everything else like tires, brakes, body etc.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 581 Likes on 334 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
If it was previously tuned it would not have qualified for MB CPO anyway, so that theory makes no sense. Maybe the coupes have a newer version of the W205 ECUs than the sedans since the sedans have been out since 2015 and coupes since 2017.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:36 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by raudiace4
If it was previously tuned it would not have qualified for MB CPO anyway, so that theory makes no sense. Maybe the coupes have a newer version of the W205 ECUs than the sedans since the sedans have been out since 2015 and coupes since 2017.
curious why would you think that? if they plug it into the system when they do the inspection they cannot tell unless there is some sort of fault. From my experience the only time they can detect the tune is when something goes wrong (like a bad diff) and they have to send the data off to corporate or back to germany. there is no plug in and flag like Audi has with the TD1, so if they plug it in and pass no reason to not CPO it
Old 05-18-2018, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
There are plenty of ‘17 Coupes out there that have had ECU’s flashed, so I‘d suspect it was tampered with by the last owner and tuner.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
There are plenty of ‘17 Coupes out there that have had ECU’s flashed, so I‘d suspect it was tampered with by the last owner and tuner.
Try to do a search on the VIN and see if you can figure out who the last owner was. Maybe check the VIN with other tuners if this car comes up with them??
Weird.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:01 PM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
Originally Posted by bgm130
curious why would you think that? if they plug it into the system when they do the inspection they cannot tell unless there is some sort of fault. From my experience the only time they can detect the tune is when something goes wrong (like a bad diff) and they have to send the data off to corporate or back to germany. there is no plug in and flag like Audi has with the TD1, so if they plug it in and pass no reason to not CPO it
Exactly. It would only not qualify for CPO if the dealer KNEW it was tuned.

Selling as a CPO will yield a higher dollar amount, so in most cases, "they don't want to know" and aren't going to be looking for reasons to exclude it from being a CPO.