C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a used C63, C63s or M4. Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
a couple things I don't think anyone mentioned.
First between the 2 models (s vs Non S) you said "the cheapest" really what you need to look at are the options. the cheapest non-S may be a bare bones one. If you can find a non-S with all the options that make you happy then no reason for the S. if you are planning on just cosmetic mods and not tracking or doing track events then the added features of the S may not be worth it to you.
as far as pricing they are releasing a facelift W205 later this year. usually that can make prices drop a bit.
The following users liked this post:
Mdotlife (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 04:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63
I think I have come to a semi-decision. I am going to research a bit and see what options are available and at what cost. I do think tuning mods is something I may dabble in at some point so the C63s may not be such a viable option, HOWEVER, if I get a used one with decent spec and it's only a little more then the non-s, we'll see. At the moment though, the non-s seems to be cheaper by at least £7k with good optional extras. Thanks to AMGWagon for pointing me to that YouTuber. Just goes to show that non-s C63 can become an absolute beast with the right mods.

Also, the other thing that has made me consider a non-s is the facelift coming in 2019. Thanks to bgm130 for pointing that out, I completely overlooked that. Buying a C63s now, and then seeing the facelift come out in around 6-8 months would probably be painful (if you're one of those that has to have the latest model - that's consumerism folks). Also, I have read the new facelift model has a new transmission system with 9 gears instead of 7. No doubt that may impact 0-60 speeds somewhat (if only marginally). The facelift doesn't look too much different but I don't mind having a slightly older model. Again, I'll see what becomes available on the used market and we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the replies everybody
Old 05-22-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
no worries, there's not much real world difference between the S and non s performance wise in a straight line. The standard version is highly highly competent at cornering and braking (as i found out at MB World Brooklands on the handling course in the wet). You probably wont notice a massive difference with the electronic diff and the engine struts in the s vs the standard except perhaps when pushing the car really hard. 650nm of torque is already too much for the tyres to handle on the estate and saloon. The coupe is probably a bit more competent in that regard with wider rear tyres and a reworked suspension. I guess what i'm saying is you probably wont notice the power difference between the two as the s is highly overpowered at lower speeds. Maybe accelerating at fast speeds or driving in higher gears might yield a marginal difference in driving experience. If you're not tracking the car then i cant see a huge benefit to picking the s over the standard. However I'm not 100 percent with the Supercars of London guy if he thinks the only difference is horsepower between the standard and s, but i think the diff and dynamic engine mounts add do add a lot of that premium in cost I believe. They must make some sort of difference to someone who is always pushing the car to the limit but for daily driving, i say, save the money.

The S has the nice red painted brake calipers as standard in the UK vs Silver/stock coloured but badged ones on the standard. The rims might be a different size too as well as a few other differences but if you're modding the car then this is all probably academic to be honest. Save the £7-10k and use some of it on mods seems like a good idea to me personally. depending on how old the c63 you're buying is, you may not have much manufacturer's warranty left and may not want to extend while instead preferring to mode and tune.

It may be worth mentioning from my perspective that the performance exhaust is an option i would definitely not miss out on, nor the 360 camera or the HUD display. The moonroof is really excellent in the UK , the burmeister system looks great but frankly, i spend more time with the volume off so i can listen to the exhaust (okay ive only owned the car for 3 months). If you're big into sub woofers etc, then you could be better off sticking to the standard sound system and adding subs?

Even better news is alongside the C class facelift, there is a GLC 63 which ought to put a tiny bit of extra pressure on the pre-facelift c class pricing through some cannibalisation of c class sales. Or at least that is what i would argue with a dealer.

Also worth mentioning is look into seeing whether merc would put a deposit down on a PCP and check whether you can prepay the remaining finance after a certain period (MB FInance can help with looking into the early settlement and any penalties). I think they dont charge interest beyond the redemption date, you just have to settle the balance on the finance. I did that with my GLA 45 and didnt have any penalty interest to pay by getting out of my PCP agreement early on that car. merc put down almost 5k into the cost of my c63s (though it was brand new) , it may be worth looking at whether they would put something down on a second hand car and then looking at settling the finance early just in case there is some sort of arbitrage possible . There might not be but might be worth investigating.

Lastly, if you're not buying the coupe, look into the estate, it's reallly quite something. Is more back heavy and is the best version of the car for drifting

All the best with your hunting and let us know what you end up picking up!
Old 05-26-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
If you already have a 335d for daily driving duties then why do you want something that is such a compromise like these to pair it with? If I were in your position I'd be looking at a used Porsche Cayman if I wanted something nicer and more fun to complement my daily driver. I don't see the point of buying something that is just a faster more expensive version of what you already drive.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:54 AM

E63
Originally Posted by BucketofTruth
If you already have a 335d for daily driving duties then why do you want something that is such a compromise like these to pair it with? If I were in your position I'd be looking at a used Porsche Cayman if I wanted something nicer and more fun to complement my daily driver. I don't see the point of buying something that is just a faster more expensive version of what you already drive.
I did look at a Porsche Cayman but didn’t like it. I found the interior to be a bit bland and found the car itself to be too small. The other thing is that if I were to buy one, I would get a GTS or a GT4 but most of them are manuals. Also, the 0-60 on the GT4 is only 4.4. In my opinion, that’s only a bit faster than my 335d (approx. 4.8s) whereas a C63s is quoting 3.9s (on paper anyway). Price wise as well, the newer models are way out of my price range.

Also, just to add, I don’t like manuals. If I drive a second car for weekend or special occasions, I want something comfortable, fast, luxurious and easy to drive. I find the C63 gives me a balance of all of those traits.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:41 PM

E63
Hey everybody,

Just checking in to give an update (not sure if anyone really cares, but here goes )

I have decided I am going to part ex my 335d to buy a C63. I thought about it for a while and it makes more sense to just upgrade rather than paying 2 lots of insurance, 2 lots of road tax, 2 lots of servicing etc. Now, I am still considering the M4 but I am more torn between either the C63 coupe or saloon. I've seen both and I love the look of the coupe. I'm not too sure on the saloon. Some angles it looks good, other angles it looks a bit plain but I do enjoy the idea of having 4 doors. I don't carry too many passengers but when I do, 4 doors is convenient. Also, carting documents and boxes to and from work it great with a 4 door.

Anyone got any tips? Saloon or Coupe?
Old 05-31-2018, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 C63 S Coupe
Had M4 Comp Package and C63s Coupe

I had a 2017 M4 Competition Package. I ended up selling it and getting a 2018 C63 S Coupe. M4CP has more interior room/Head room for track days (helmet) if your 6’ or taller. The C63S is going to be real right with helmet. C63s is much more comfortable and has things like ventilated seats (M4 CP has racing seats standard). I felt the M4 DCT was a bit dim witted and jerky in sport settings. I programmed the M1 to Comfort steering, comfort suspension, and sport plus engine. The Comp Package exhaust was decent. You can unplug the servos that open/close the valves easily and you will constantly have a more aggressive tone. That being said, AMG’s sports exhaust ($1,250 option) is well worth it. The torque on the V8 is immense. At times I felt the M4 CP was under powered, but nimble. The C63 S has more power than traction. The C63 S feels more special and I think looks better than my M4 CP. Both are great cars. However, I’m driving the C63 S for a reason. In regards to C63 vs C63 S, you could save money with the non S and chip it through Renntech to get over 600hp. However, it’s $3k. If you plan on modest mods I would go with the S because you’re getting bang for your buck. If your going to go bonkers and chip it to over 600hp, swap rims, new exhaust, etc. than C63 base. All the best!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jonathan Dunn:
Mdotlife (05-31-2018), right_mr (06-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c63
Originally Posted by Mdotlife
Hey everybody,

Just checking in to give an update (not sure if anyone really cares, but here goes )

I have decided I am going to part ex my 335d to buy a C63. I thought about it for a while and it makes more sense to just upgrade rather than paying 2 lots of insurance, 2 lots of road tax, 2 lots of servicing etc. Now, I am still considering the M4 but I am more torn between either the C63 coupe or saloon. I've seen both and I love the look of the coupe. I'm not too sure on the saloon. Some angles it looks good, other angles it looks a bit plain but I do enjoy the idea of having 4 doors. I don't carry too many passengers but when I do, 4 doors is convenient. Also, carting documents and boxes to and from work it great with a 4 door.

Anyone got any tips? Saloon or Coupe?
Good plan. I'm driving a C63 saloon as a daily and really enjoying it. If I didn't have 2 kids I'd have gone for the coupe, in fact I almost did anyway but practicality won out and it's super convenient as I often have a 3rd person in the car. If it wasn't a daily or if I didn't have regular rear passengers, I probably would've gone for the coupe. Choose the one you think you'll enjoy more, sportier looks with the seat flip hassle, or slightly less sporty but more convenient. It's an individual decision.
The following users liked this post:
Mdotlife (05-31-2018)