Sponsored by:

Why I traded my C63S for RS5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
W205 C63S
Why I traded my C63S for RS5

So yesterday I pulled the trigger and traded my 2017 C63S for a 2018 RS5.
Here were my factors:
Mostly the 63 wasn't that much fun to drive for me. Yes, it went very fast 30-100mph. And in Brilliant Blue it looked *amazing* with the upgraded cross-spoke black wheels and carbon fiber upgrades. I even liked the illuminated star bling. But it just wasn't engaging sprinting around town. I was coming from a 2007 911 C4S (manual), which was highly engaging, although much slower. On the 63 the driving dynamics just weren't there...for me. Just drove very heavy.
Beyond that, the fit and finish on the new RS5 is far above the C63. The gauge cluster and mini ipad on the 63 were creaky and rattly. The nappa leather on the RS5 makes the AMG leather (sport seats) feel very basic. The B&O sound in the RS5 blows the C63 pretend Burmeister away. The sound in the 63 was not really acceptable.
Obviously, the RS5 gets awd which is super useful in the colder/wetter weather.
The suspension on the C63 in the sporty modes is more punishing than on the RS5.
There were some bits on the service end of MB that also really annoyed me. The car would lose the Individual settings about every 10 starts (documented by several on here). I brought it to the dealer, with a vid of it happening on my car, and with copies of the posts and the dealer just said "could not replicate." Come on. I had a video of an intermittent problem and they bail bc it didn't happen when they had it?
The RS5 doesn't have a power trunk close feature, which is a miss at this price point.
To be fair, I don't think I really figured out how to drive the 63 rwd beast. You've got to be ready to break the back end loose around town to make the most of it, something I wasn't really comfortable doing. It was like having a super long pair of alpine skis on short slow runs. Just not a good fit around town. The the awd in the RS5, I can actually drive more aggressively around town / in traffic.
the C63 was a great car, just not really for me. The RS5 has less power than the 63, but I can use more of it with the awd. So for me, the RS5 actually has more power than the 63.
The Audi dealership was quite happy to be getting the 63 with 10k miles and thought it would move quickly.
Also wanted to get out while the miles were low, car was mint, and before the 2019 changes on the 63 were available.
Just some thoughts....

Last edited by AmexWest; 06-13-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 S AMG
Congrats! Although I think that you will miss the feeling that the C63 gave you. Can not be found in the RS5.. Only one thing i miss from my time with the rs5 and that's the gear selector/shifter in center just like the older mercs
Old 06-13-2018, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
There is only three reason why I would always keep coming back to an AMG
1) Engine
2) Engine
3) Engine

Like Jonny said at 10:35, you want standout things in a car. This car has that standout thing which both its rivals doesn't.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:20 AM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
I love this review, it never gets old!

At the end when they're thrashing both on the track, you can see from the big smiles on their face, why they chose the C63S!
Old 06-13-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
W205 C63S
Amazing to see the vid of the exact two cars; thx for posting that. Pretty good summary.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
I totally understand your decision, and might even agree with some of the reasons. I came from the RS4 (B7) with that incredible V8 and 6 speed manual transmission. The aural signature of that engine is what made it so addictive to drive. Plus the suspension and all-wheel drive made it handle like a go-cart. I reasoned that I could not transition to a V6, and I still believe that, something that was reinforced by many of the online reviews. I tried to demo one, but none of the dealers had one to test drive, hence the C63S by default. However, I am slowly warming up to her. I feel like the handling of the C63S Coupe is on par with the RS4. The steering is a bit more neutral, and breaking the tires makes up for the dullness of driving an automatic transmission. I always identified MB as being a "mature" car, more for the gray hair set. Yet the coupe drives more like an SRT Challenger. I don't now feel the need to test drive the new RS5. I think I will be disappointed if I do. I find the Burmeister is a better sound system than my old BO. The Burmeister seems more "tinny" but the B&O was more prominent in the midrange. I have managed to find the right combination of setting to get the best sound and it's quite satisfactory now. The Audi and the Merc are both great cars, and it's like threading a needle to determine which one is better. They are so different.

Last edited by DRGG; 06-13-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For me Burmeister in this car is not a problem at all. Cause it stays off all the time. These cars have their own soundtrack, that I can listen to 24/7, 365 days. Never gets old.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C63s - Iridium Silver
I found this post interesting as I recently (2 weeks ago) traded my 2013 RS5 for a 2018 C63s. Before deciding on the C63s I drove the 2018 RS5 twice. I REALLY wanted to love the new RS5 as I was ready for a new car and thoroughly enjoyed my old RS5. Unfortunately I found the new RS5 to be less engaging to drive than my 2013 RS5, and far less engaging to drive than the C63s.

As for exterior looks which is obviously VERY subjective, I actually preferred my 2013 RS5 to either of the new cars. I wasn't the only one as I repeatedly had positive comments from complete strangers. Im starting to get similar comments on the C63s. Last night I had a gent run out of the restaurant as I was leaving so he could comment on the car and ask to hear it. That was a first! I assume there are fans of the new RS5 as well.

The torque, sound and RWD on the C63s are much more fun, especially around town at slower speeds. You can't beat the feeling of RWD during hard acceleration and the fun factor while sliding the rear end out. The RS5 was easier to drive faster in slow speed scenarios, but it definitely wasn't as fun. I'm not looking to win races around town so the fun factor was more important to me.

As for interior fit and finish, both are beautiful and both were an upgrade from my 2013 RS5. The 2018 RS5 is likely a small step ahead when considering the superior stereo and electronic dash options. I am disappointed in the Burmeister sound, but the exhaust note helps to compensate. There are a couple small quirks I find irritating on the C63s such as lack of speed limits displayed on the Nav screen but there are also some small traits that I'm enjoying such as seat controls that are much more accessible and supportive sport seats that hug me like no other! I also love the look of the dash vents and general sporty feel in the C63s interior.

I am definitely going to miss the AWD capability when the snow hits. The RS5 was incredibly stable on ice and snow. I've yet to see how the C63s performs in poor weather but I know it's not going to be as good as the quattro system My C63s is my daily driver, but I'm fortunate to also have a Ram 1500 for the really nasty winter days.

Both are fantastic cars. Anybody that doesn't acknowledge that either hasn't driven both or are biased and closed minded to the alternative. It all comes down to what traits you value most. My final decision came down to the fact that I had an adrenaline rush after testing the C63s and I didn't when stepping out of the RS5.

Just my opinion....
Old 06-13-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
I came from an E63S to my C63S because I didn’t like the awd and the E just wasn’t doing it for me anymore after owning three. No question the E is the far superior car in terms of materials, assembly, refinement and power but it just wasn’t fun to drive. With the exception of my E55 which I think has been my favorite of the five AMG’s I’ve owned until I got the C. I wanted a muscle car. Something fun to drive that looked the part, made noise, was easy to get sideways and that I could drive every day. I looked at the Rs5 cause it is a good looking car but it just wasn’t enough of a hot rod. Drove the new Mustang, Camaro SS, and Dodge but decided they’re just too common and not fast enough. Then I saw the 2017 C63S and ordered one on the spot and I’m not disappointed. It’s MB’s version of a muscle car which is just what I was looking for. It looks fast, is fast,(enough), easily breaks the tires loose for entertainment, didn’t break the bank to buy and puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Only complaints are the ride which is comparable to buckboard and no spare tire. They could seriously do something about that very harsh ride in comfort mode.
The following users liked this post:
right_mr (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Originally Posted by AmexWest
So yesterday I pulled the trigger and traded my 2017 C63S for a 2018 RS5.
Here were my factors:

I COULDN'T HANDLE THE V8TT RWD CAR LIKE A BIG BOY SO WENT AND BOUGHT AN AWD VOLKSWAGON TO SAVE MY ***
That's all you had to say man.

Jokes aside, RS5 is sick but it's just not a special car like the B8.5 RS5 was.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Maybe it is a US change but the speed limit signs are there in my Nav. --I don't remember if I had to check a box to get them or not.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
c63 Coupe, GLC63
To me, the c63 feels like a different experience sometimes. it's unpredictable, just when you think you have the car figured out, it behaves differently when pushed. I feel like the car is way more capable than what I currently have under my belt. This feeling of uncertainty is exciting (done safely of course). I also find that I can't control the pops and revs 100%, they seem to sound variable each time i drive it. One time I got the quadruple pop-pop-pop-pop and i was so stoked, kinda laughing childishly. tried replicating the next day but unable to. I forgot what I did, but it's different each time. It's not the fastest, but it has undeniable character. I also cross shopped the RS5. Nice car within itself but lacked the soul
munis (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rubpau
To me, the c63 feels like a different experience sometimes. it's unpredictable, just when you think you have the car figured out, it behaves differently when pushed. I feel like the car is way more capable than what I currently have under my belt. This feeling of uncertainty is exciting (done safely of course). I also find that I can't control the pops and revs 100%, they seem to sound variable each time i drive it. One time I got the quadruple pop-pop-pop-pop and i was so stoked, kinda laughing childishly. tried replicating the next day but unable to. I forgot what I did, but it's different each time. It's not the fastest, but it has undeniable character. I also cross shopped the RS5. Nice car within itself but lacked the soul
Couldn't have explained these cars better. Soul is probably the best way to put it.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
a UFO
I agree that 2 cars are for 2 different types people's need in a car. Your review putting one down on the other is just not fair, especially considering that you got rid of one to get the other, you are clearly biased (which is fine) in your preference. I'll leave you with this, the C63s is a more rare sight, and I am happy with that. Ok, maybe leaving you with one more, AWD is less demanding on the driver than RWD, and I question your definition of "engaging" " But it just wasn't engaging sprinting around town." I argue that the C63s is definitely more "fun" to drive around town.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by raudiace4
That's all you had to say man.

Jokes aside, RS5 is sick but it's just not a special car like the B8.5 RS5 was.
lmao! I’m going to use that one and take credit for it!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
The RS5 is the complete opposite of an engaging drive. I like Audi’s, but their RS cars are so soft and boring. Yes, AWD rocks off the line, but it’s a one-trick pony. They’re all understeerey, a fatal flaw when you have that much engine weight hanging over the front axles. The E63S and it’s AWD system is 10x more engaging and fun to drive on any level compared to Quattro’s torsen. It’s crazy to see both AMG (E63S) and M (new M5) beating Audi at its own game.

I don’t hate V6’s either, but that 2.9L is literally a vacuum cleaner. I loved the 2.7T S4’s back in the day... they sounded incredible uncorked with boost and that with 5v per cylinder engine. I’ve heard the new RS5 with various exhausts and they’re horrid.

I would take an RS3 Sedan with that sweet 5 cylinder all day over an RS5.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
About the stereo quality I have a 2018 Q7 prestige trim, virtual cockpit, enhanced stereo and the 2016 C63S stereo sounds so much better its not even close. I think the Audi has about 8 to 9 more speakers than the Mercedes.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
They’re all understeerey, a fatal flaw when you have that much engine weight hanging over the front axles.
Have you driven an RS5?

If you manage to get serious understeer from an RS5 on the street you’re REALLY pushing the envelope. I generally had to wait for rain or snow to get it to lose it's footing at all, and if it did, it was neutral and did a 4 wheel drift. The traction is phenomenal, to a fault.

However, I will have to agree with your point that the C63s is more engaging.

500hp + rwd = fun!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by KM18

Have you driven an RS5?

If you manage to get serious understeer from an RS5 on the street you’re REALLY pushing the envelope. I generally had to wait for rain or snow to get it to lose it's footing at all, and if it did, it was neutral and did a 4 wheel drift. The traction is phenomenal, to a fault.

However, I will have to agree with your point that the C63s is more engaging.

500hp + rwd = fun!
I've driven a B8 RS4 and owned a B5 S4 for over a decade in various states of tune (350 HP-700+ HP). I haven't driven this latest RS4, but based on my previous drives and the fact that the engine remains in the same place in the B9 chassis as it did with the B8, logic says the fundamental dynamics at the limit will be the same... understeer. Pretty much all RS's have light and numb steering, combined with the weight up front makes it not FUN around the bends. It has traction, but that doesn't make it engaging or fun. Really, when a 4500+lb E63S is more dynamic and engaging than the much lighter RS4, you know Audi is off its game.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Sticking with my C63S until 2020, when it gets replaced by a 0-cylinder AWD 0-60 in 1.9s Roadster.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by vaelin
Sticking with my C63S until 2020, when it gets replaced by a 0-cylinder AWD 0-60 in 1.9s Roadster.
So you are drinking the Musk cool aid--good luck with the 2020 date as he has never met a promised date yet.
KJ (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 02:04 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
"Better" is a personal opinion. OP clearly prefers the rear of the car to stay in a straight considering 2 or his last 3 cars are awd. I don't know how he thinks the motors are on the same level though... run of the mill turbo 6 vs hand built turbo V8. I also can't stand the steering of newer Audis. The rack is so overboosted and lacks any feedback through the wheel. The C63 doesn't have the best steering feedback in the world, but it's there at least.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:24 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by RDOCA
So you are drinking the Musk cool aid--good luck with the 2020 date as he has never met a promised date yet.
See sig. Already consumed and believe.

I also am very cognizant of the fact that Musk can't estimate worth crap, so 2020 will prob be 2021. But given each successive model has been 'closer' (years, year, quarters, quarter, months..) to launch dates, I'd be happy if it shipped 2021. Plus I can't complain, TSLA paid for all 3 cars in my sig and some of my house.

Anyways, /threadhijack
Old 06-14-2018, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vaelin
See sig. Already consumed and believe.

I also am very cognizant of the fact that Musk can't estimate worth crap, so 2020 will prob be 2021. But given each successive model has been 'closer' (years, year, quarters, quarter, months..) to launch dates, I'd be happy if it shipped 2021. Plus I can't complain, TSLA paid for all 3 cars in my sig and some of my house.

Anyways, /threadhijack
What's the prototype dinan s2 tune?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:16 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by munis
What's the prototype dinan s2 tune?
Shh.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why I traded my C63S for RS5