Sponsored by:

A/C Unit not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG C63S
Angry A/C Unit not working

So after driving around for about 30 minutes today running errands, I turned my car on to go home and the A/C was NOT blowing cold air. I had it set to 12 degrees lower than outside temp and it was just blowing warm air. I live in Dallas, and it was very warm today despite having drizzled a little earlier in the morning. I was also driving in Sport mode if that makes any difference. Only possible external cause I can think of is when I changed lanes earlier, I accidentally drove over some garbage on the road. I think it was a thicker plastic bottle. Could this have possibly damaged anything? I don't see any fluids leaking under my car.

Does anyone know of a way to reset the A/C unit, if at all possible? I have already set an appointment to take it in and get it fixed, but I was wondering, maybe if it's a software issue, is there a way I can fix it via software.

Does anyone else have any experience with A/C units on this car crapping out? I'm pretty sure I took delivery Oct 20, 2015, and it's very annoyed that it's already not working. My previous car was a 2006 Acura TSX and the A/C never broke on that car through the day I sold it.

I'm still under warranty, so the repair cost should be covered, but does anyone know how long it could take in a worst case scenario, such has having to replace every part of the A/C system? In case this isn't covered, does anyone know how much it could possibly cost? Thank you!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
Originally Posted by rongpanda
So after driving around for about 30 minutes today running errands, I turned my car on to go home and the A/C was NOT blowing cold air. I had it set to 12 degrees lower than outside temp and it was just blowing warm air. I live in Dallas, and it was very warm today despite having drizzled a little earlier in the morning. I was also driving in Sport mode if that makes any difference. Only possible external cause I can think of is when I changed lanes earlier, I accidentally drove over some garbage on the road. I think it was a thicker plastic bottle. Could this have possibly damaged anything? I don't see any fluids leaking under my car.

Does anyone know of a way to reset the A/C unit, if at all possible? I have already set an appointment to take it in and get it fixed, but I was wondering, maybe if it's a software issue, is there a way I can fix it via software.

Does anyone else have any experience with A/C units on this car crapping out? I'm pretty sure I took delivery Oct 20, 2015, and it's very annoyed that it's already not working. My previous car was a 2006 Acura TSX and the A/C never broke on that car through the day I sold it.

I'm still under warranty, so the repair cost should be covered, but does anyone know how long it could take in a worst case scenario, such has having to replace every part of the A/C system? In case this isn't covered, does anyone know how much it could possibly cost? Thank you!
Do you hit the "AC" button on ON position ?
Old 06-20-2018, 06:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,044 Likes on 967 Posts
1999 E300TD
There are no software patches fixes or any other type of HS---you have done the correct thing---see a professional.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:05 PM

2016 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by SoCal208
Do you hit the "AC" button on ON position ?
Yes, I have toggled the AC switch on/off multiple times. I also changed the settings from AUTO to manual settings, nothing worked. I even tried an older A/C reset method (hold defrost and recirculate until lights flash), and it didn't work.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 595 Likes on 341 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
You might have blown the small 5 amp fuse for the AC in the fuse box, check the diagram for location of AC Fuse in fuse box and replace it with any 5 amp from Autozone or car parts store. I've had to do this on my Audi's before, or you can take it to the dealer and they'll do it for you, but it's much quicker if you do it yourself.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:00 PM

2016 AMG C63S
So it turns out that the AC compressor had crapped out. Their best guess is something with the electronics. I took the car in on Tuesday afternoon (6/26) and the parts did not arrive until Thursday. I was told the car would be ready by Friday, but I received a call that day saying it would be ready today (7/2). At 5:30 PM, an hour and a half before closing, I called the dealership asking when I can pick up my car, and it turns out they found another problem and failed to tell me or address it earlier.

Apparently, there is a coolant leak in my car. The service rep says he does not know if the leak was there when the car was brought in or if it was damaged during repairs. The car was not running hotter than usual in the 90+ degree weather here in Texas, so I have a feeling that it was damaged by the technicians during the AC repair. Also, if it was damaged on arrival, they should have addressed it at the time rather than addressing it today.

When I called, the service rep told me he found out 20 minutes beforehand and that a radiator was ordered, but would not arrive until Thursday because of Independence day. That means the car will likely not be ready until Friday or Saturday. My car will be at the dealership for at least 10-11 days because of someone's negligence. I am sick and tired of this happening to my car. I've had a previous bad experience with this dealership, but I didn't feel like driving 30+ minutes to another with a broken AC in 90+ weather.

Does anyone know if there is any precedent of dealerships compensating their customers over extended service repairs? I'm also pretty sure the coolant/radiator damage was caused by them. Is there anything I can do to be compensated for not being able to drive the vehicle I am paying for? I'm also getting really sick of driving the base C class loaner they gave me it. This is driving me up the wall.