Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Does the tuner matter?

Hey all,
Thinking about getting my car tuned soon... it's a daily driver so I don't have time to have the ECU removed and ship it out. There is a local tuner here who seems pretty decent, but here's the catch -- they do 99% of their custom dyno tunes on American Muscle (Hellcats, Demons, etc) along with a lot of hardware installs on those cars. I think they have tuned ONE Ed1 C63 Coupe. Would they presumably do as good of a job as a tuner more experienced with C63's (like Eurocharged)? Is tuning all the same across all platforms? Or is there enough of a difference where I should just make a weekend trip down to Eurocharged (about 3 hours away from me) and get it done "right"?

Other option is just to get a Dinan Chip installed... but I've always been partial to a custom ECU tune rather than an OTS piggyback.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:55 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by skim7x
Hey all,
Thinking about getting my car tuned soon... it's a daily driver so I don't have time to have the ECU removed and ship it out. There is a local tuner here who seems pretty decent, but here's the catch -- they do 99% of their custom dyno tunes on American Muscle (Hellcats, Demons, etc) along with a lot of hardware installs on those cars. I think they have tuned ONE Ed1 C63 Coupe. Would they presumably do as good of a job as a tuner more experienced with C63's (like Eurocharged)? Is tuning all the same across all platforms? Or is there enough of a difference where I should just make a weekend trip down to Eurocharged (about 3 hours away from me) and get it done "right"?

Other option is just to get a Dinan Chip installed... but I've always been partial to a custom ECU tune rather than an OTS piggyback.
There is a massive difference in tuners. We have tuned over 28,000 cars to date, and we are always finding new ways to extract power and better the product. The other big difference is we offer a motor protection warranty!

You could easily just send the ecu to us and we can tune it and send it back!
Old 08-16-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 AMG GTC Roadster. 2013 SL65 2018 GLC63
Hey all,

Yes the tune makes all the difference in the world. Renntech is the only one that is honored through most dealers. Im not sure what eurocharged policy is but it sounds like its a premium you pay for protection. With any and all of my mercedes, theyve had renntech software for the last 10+ years. zero failures and more importantly, zero warranty issues, ever. i have been told the dinan unit is a nice upgrade but it doesnt offer the same gains or flexibility of an actual tune.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:52 PM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
Hey all,

I would definitely pass on your local tuner. Ask the guy in the OE Tuning thread how his small time turner worked out for him!
The following users liked this post:
loungn14 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
If you want a custom tune, go with whoever is the most credible, proven tuner that's local to you. Especially if they're within driving distance. A place that doesn't specialize in AMG's is not a good option (tuning one doesn't count).

However, if we're talking just a stage 1 (stock downpipes), I would just go with a Dinan piggyback. Unless you want to go catless DP's in the future and want to squeeze out every little bit of power... maybe there's another 20 whp or so that you could tap out of the stock turbos on pump gas with a custom ECU dyno tune? Personally, I don't think it's worth the trouble on stock turbos unless you're tuning for E85 or race gas. The turbos run out of steam up top, and so the limit on pump gas for stage 1/2 on pump gas is pretty standard across the board with the tunes out there.

If you're only going to run stage 1 on pump gas, just get the Dinan... 2-3 hours of your own time to install and you can always remove it.
The following users liked this post:
DRGG (08-17-2018)