Traction Problems and solutions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Yea, seriously? haha

Comfort mode dials things down a bit, but 90% of my driving is done with comfort suspension (with everything else in Race). Sport and Sport+ suspension is way too stiff for most roads, and with a tune, any roads that aren't perfect just exacerbates traction issues with the suspension in Sport+. It's better having more suspension travel to soak up the road bumps when your tires are screaming for traction.

The only time I switch to Sport+ suspension is a few miles of very windy roads with elevation changes near my house. Classic Austin hill country roads. Those roads are nice and smooth and I can feel much better steering turn-in (it's much more immediate) with the dynamic engine mounts and firmer suspension dialed all the way up.

The Porsche just has incredible damping - the suspension is so dialed in, it always feels hooked up and compliant even on not so great condition roads. It's a completely different feel that inspires confidence to push harder, whereas in the C63S, you're always a bit nervous about the rear end out sliding or roasting tires.
So may I ask if you had a chance to test drive your C63s Coupe before you purchased it? I knew what I wanted, and it had to have 4 seats and 8 cylinders.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by DRGG
So may I ask if you had a chance to test drive your C63s Coupe before you purchased it? I knew what I wanted, and it had to have 4 seats and 8 cylinders.
Yes, I test drove the C63S Sedan (and an M4) before I bought the Coupe. I almost bought the Sedan right then and there, but instead put down a deposit for the first Coupe allocation the dealer had (the Coupe hadn’t even been officially announced, it was all speculation, but I knew I’d want it over the Sedan based on spy pics and what I read about it having a wider body and rear axle from the E63S.

I’m not knocking the C63S for having traction issues, I’m just stating the facts. I knew exactly what I was getting into... I wanted a turbo V8 RWD car to have fun in...power oversteer and shred tires through 3rd gear... just have fun as a daily driver.

After a few years of driving it, I’ve gotten the hooning shenanigans out of my system. Now I want something that’s just as fast, but much lighter, more agile, and sticks to the road like glue. I departure from my 4100lb Coupe.

AMG and M both know that front engine RWD platforms hit a ceiling with power/traction, hence the E63S and M5 now being AWD with over 600 hp. A tune only C63S will make 600 hp all day, but you’ll realize quickly after roasting the tires through third gear why there were stories of Tobias Moers testing an AWD W205 C63 version before they stuck with RWD.

Driving with just a Dinan tune and 305 PS4S’s, I still need more grip and more tire. The only step I can take to put the power down is run drag radials or r-compounds which isn’t feasible for a daily driver.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:14 AM

C63S AMG Coupe

Yes, I test drove the C63S Sedan (and an M4) before I bought the Coupe. I almost bought the Sedan right then and there, but instead put down a deposit for the first Coupe allocation the dealer had (the Coupe hadn’t even been officially announced, it was all speculation, but I knew I’d want it over the Sedan based on spy pics and what I read about it having a wider body and rear axle from the E63S.

I’m not knocking the C63S for having traction issues, I’m just stating the facts. I knew exactly what I was getting into... I wanted a turbo V8 RWD car to have fun in...power oversteer and shred tires through 3rd gear... just have fun as a daily driver.

After a few years of driving it, I’ve gotten the hooning shenanigans out of my system. Now I want something that’s just as fast, but much lighter, more agile, and sticks to the road like glue. I departure from my 4100lb Coupe.

AMG and M both know that front engine RWD platforms hit a ceiling with power/traction, hence the E63S and M5 now being AWD with over 600 hp. A tune only C63S will make 600 hp all day, but you’ll realize quickly after roasting the tires through third gear why there were stories of Tobias Moers testing an AWD W205 C63 version before they stuck with RWD.

Driving with just a Dinan tune and 305 PS4S’s, I still need more grip and more tire. The only step I can take to put the power down is run drag radials or r-compounds which isn’t feasible for a daily driver.
It just came to me that I think this is my first RWD car, and I'm surprised and grateful at how stable it is. I will seriously think before I get any HP upgrades. Maybe stock is the best of all possible worlds for this vehicle?
Old 08-29-2018, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
It just came to me that I think this is my first RWD car, and I'm surprised and grateful at how stable it is. I will seriously think before I get any HP upgrades. Maybe stock is the best of all possible worlds for this vehicle?
Stock power is fine with traction. It’s when you add +100 ft-lbs torque with a tune that traction becomes an issue. We have small, fast spooling turbos that are sized for low end torque - when you’re tuned, the low RPM torque rips the tires loose at 3500 rpm.

It’s fun, just not confidence inspring, and can be annoying when you want to hook up in lower gears.

The inherent issue is that we’re dealing with a front engine with not enough weight over the rear tires. I actually notice substantially improved grip when I fill up with a full tank of gas because you have an extra 90lbs or so in the rear. Cars like the AMG GTS are front mid-engine (mounted behind the front axles), with a rear transaxle transmission - that car hooks up with no problem at all.

Maybe I should buy some bags of sand and throw it in the trunk? It would be cheaper than swapping out my PS4S 305’s for an r-compound tire that’ll go 2000
miles before they need to be replaced.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2018 C63 Coupe
This is why I haven't tuned my car yet.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:49 PM

C63S AMG Coupe

Stock power is fine with traction. It’s when you add +100 ft-lbs torque with a tune that traction becomes an issue. We have small, fast spooling turbos that are sized for low end torque - when you’re tuned, the low RPM torque rips the tires loose at 3500 rpm.

It’s fun, just not confidence inspring, and can be annoying when you want to hook up in lower gears.

The inherent issue is that we’re dealing with a front engine with not enough weight over the rear tires. I actually notice substantially improved grip when I fill up with a full tank of gas because you have an extra 90lbs or so in the rear. Cars like the AMG GTS are front mid-engine (mounted behind the front axles), with a rear transaxle transmission - that car hooks up with no problem at all.

Maybe I should buy some bags of sand and throw it in the trunk? It would be cheaper than swapping out my PS4S 305’s for an r-compound tire that’ll go 2000
miles before they need to be replaced.
Makes perfect sense. Let us know how the sand-traction device works. Maybe put some sand under the tires, too. So there really is very little net gain by increasing boost, but then why is there such an apparently large aftermarket for tuning this vehicle? Just because they can? Is it worth it just to get a tenth of a second 0-60 times? Anyway, this is a good example of how one cannot defeat fundamental laws of physics. But I still have the URGE to tune this car. Certainly people get something out of it. But what do they get?
Old 08-29-2018, 07:38 PM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
Makes perfect sense. Let us know how the sand-traction device works. Maybe put some sand under the tires, too. So there really is very little net gain by increasing boost, but then why is there such an apparently large aftermarket for tuning this vehicle? Just because they can? Is it worth it just to get a tenth of a second 0-60 times? Anyway, this is a good example of how one cannot defeat fundamental laws of physics. But I still have the URGE to tune this car. Certainly people get something out of it. But what do they get?
On the highway or from a roll, the tune will still make a huge difference. If warranty wasn't a concern, I would tune the car for sure.

But considering I only plan to keep the car a few years before moving on, I'm not looking to turn my daily driver into a "headache" project car. I've had many cars, some tuned all the way with custom turbo's etc. From my experience, a car that always "has issues" is no fun at all. I'm always worried about "getting this fixed, getting that fixed, getting this issue tuned" etc. Nowadays, I just want a fun car, lots of power, have my fun, and not have to worry about anything when I drive it.

Last edited by KJ; 08-30-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
The problem is once you feel that extra boost come on, when it rips on highways and hooks, it’s impossible to go back to stock after feeling that. Going back to stock tune would feel so anemic.
The following users liked this post:
KJ (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 02:48 AM

C63S AMG Coupe
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KJ
On the highway or from a roll, the tune will still make a huge difference. If warranty wasn't a concern, I would tune the car for sure.

But considering I only play to keep the car a few years before moving on, I'm not looking to turn my daily driver into a "headache" project car. I've had many cars, some tuned all the way with custom turbo's etc. From my experience, a car that always "has issues" is no fun at all. I'm always worried about "getting this fixed, getting that fixed, getting this issue tuned" etc. Nowadays, I just want a fun car, lots of power, have my fun, and not have to worry about anything when I drive it.
Words of wisdom.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W205 C63s
Just had my car tuned. Massive increase in torque. Thought I would have no grip but after tune the grip has drastically increased.

The tuner who also races drag cars said that more torque can equal more grip because it loads the rear suspension and keeps it loaded.

So there is some intial wheel spin until the weight transfers to the rear and then the car just grips and goes....no more axel tramp that was driving me insane.

I still have the stock Mitchlin 265 tyres in the back. I was actually looking at getting wider tyres prior to tune because the grip was atrocious... but I am alot happier with grip now.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:02 AM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Zeek1
Just had my car tuned. Massive increase in torque. Thought I would have no grip but after tune the grip has drastically increased.

The tuner who also races drag cars said that more torque can equal more grip because it loads the rear suspension and keeps it loaded.

So there is some intial wheel spin until the weight transfers to the rear and then the car just grips and goes....no more axel tramp that was driving me insane.

I still have the stock Mitchlin 265 tyres in the back. I was actually looking at getting wider tyres prior to tune because the grip was atrocious... but I am alot happier with grip now.

If a tune could actually improve traction over the stock, then we're doing MB a favor by making the car safer.

Last edited by DRGG; 08-30-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:26 AM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG C63S
"why is there such an apparently large aftermarket for tuning this vehicle?"

Because not everything is based on stand still improvements from a red light. Let someone try and pass you on the highway with a 600hp tune and a small drop on your right foot will put them in the rear view quick.
I love the tune most on entrance ramps to the highway. At about 30 mph I mash the pedal and Im at 90 in about 3 seconds.

Anyone who has ever had a tune or piggy says the same thing... Once you feel the improvement that going back is not an option. It is drastic and significant.
I added larger tires on my car from 265/245 to 285/265 and that made a huge difference in traction
With a piggy, all you need to do is remove the module, plug in the bypass plug ( about 30 seconds to do) and you are back to stock. Easy to A B and no issues with service.
The following 2 users liked this post by CT-AMG:
DRGG (08-31-2018), Jaydavid93 (09-01-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63
Just out of curiosity....are you guys getting 305s of stocks?
Old 08-31-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63
also...does anyone know their 0-60 times after throwing on a tune and extra rubber?
Old 09-01-2018, 03:17 AM

C63 Amg coupe 2018
[QUOTE=KJ;7541807]On the highway or from a roll, the tune will still make a huge difference. If warranty wasn't a concern, I would tune the car for sure.

Exactly the power in 3rd and 4th at highway speeds make a massive difference! You pick up speed a lot faster. The pull when it hooks is thrilling and feels very strong with the tune. I could never go back to stock power after having the tune.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:06 AM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by CT-AMG
"why is there such an apparently large aftermarket for tuning this vehicle?"

Because not everything is based on stand still improvements from a red light. Let someone try and pass you on the highway with a 600hp tune and a small drop on your right foot will put them in the rear view quick.
I love the tune most on entrance ramps to the highway. At about 30 mph I mash the pedal and Im at 90 in about 3 seconds.

Anyone who has ever had a tune or piggy says the same thing... Once you feel the improvement that going back is not an option. It is drastic and significant.
I added larger tires on my car from 265/245 to 285/265 and that made a huge difference in traction
With a piggy, all you need to do is remove the module, plug in the bypass plug ( about 30 seconds to do) and you are back to stock. Easy to A B and no issues with service.
Interesting because now the discussion is about going all the way up to 305 in the rear. With those stock tires it must have been like driving on sheet ice!
Old 09-26-2018, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Got a flat tire on the way home today. You guys are talking about this tire being the best, right?

And on a sedan looks like 255/35/19F and 275/35/19R should fit without rubbing?

Thanks again!!

Sorry, having trouble uploading from phone... Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the tire, correct?

Last edited by skim7x; 09-26-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by skim7x
Got a flat tire on the way home today. You guys are talking about this tire being the best, right?

And on a sedan looks like 255/35/19F and 275/35/19R should fit without rubbing?

Thanks again!!

Sorry, having trouble uploading from phone... Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the tire, correct?
That's what I put on mine and they are better than the PSS in all ways--ride better--quieter--better grip and the one up size is fine for fit.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Awesome... Thanks for the prompt response!! The guy at Discount Tire said his computer was telling him that it might rub and they wouldn't be good in the rain... Maybe he was looking at the wrong tire... Thanks again!!
Old 09-26-2018, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by skim7x
Awesome... Thanks for the prompt response!! The guy at Discount Tire said his computer was telling him that it might rub and they wouldn't be good in the rain... Maybe he was looking at the wrong tire... Thanks again!!
As far as rain I live in the desert so it hardly ever rains but the MT tire tests showed the 4S as the second best rain tire and the best dry tire.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:57 AM

Received 203 Likes on 130 Posts
C63 S Coupe
Unhappy

I almost gave up on this car and sold it after tuning it. I hated the fact that it actually made the car slower by adding all that torque and power... it pretty much ruined the driving experience for me.
i am having this huge dilema right now & i am supposed to be tuning the car next week!!!............. from stock c63s coupe
are tuners able to just increase power a bit more than stock?? say 550hp instead of 600hp???

i guess I am tryin to get a bit more power without destroying the whole feel of the car and your post in particular really struck a cord with me & I want to tune but I wont be able to deal with MORE traction problems

would 550hp would be better for our cars?? to not spoil it??

i asked two tuners for 550hp and they said NO only 600hp and will also TCU tune as package
is anyone tuned with less than 600hp here?? every damn tuner wants to tune to 600hp plus........... argh

Regards,
George Lisciandro

Last edited by George_1992; 11-12-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 306 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by George_1992
i am having this huge dilema right now & i am supposed to be tuning the car next week!!!............. from stock c63s coupe
are tuners able to just increase power a bit more than stock?? say 550hp instead of 600hp???

i guess I am tryin to get a bit more power without destroying the whole feel of the car and your post in particular really struck a cord with me & I want to tune but I wont be able to deal with MORE traction problems

i asked two tuners for 550hp and they said NO only 600hp and will also TCU tune as package
is anyone tuned with less than 600hp here?? every damn tuner wants to tune to 600hp plus........... argh

Regards,
George Lisciandro
Those tuners are idiots that tell you that... and a good tuner can adjust for anything if the client ask..

I first started with Stage 1, Renntech, and that woke the car up.. of course you can spin the tires if YOU want.. but its not stupid like some people have there cars setup to be.
The whole reason tuners are now saying TCU tune, which now seems to just be used as a KEYWORD, the TCU actually will keep your car from being NON Driveable , as it limits the HP/TQ to the wheels.

So... with that being said.. I am on Stage 2 RennTech, Modalworks Intake, RennTech BOV's, and I can smoke my tires if I want too.. (key statement is " if i want too" ) I drive mine as a daily driver and rain, snow, sun, it drives amazing and have never been worried about it.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:25 PM

Received 203 Likes on 130 Posts
C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by FLC63s
Those tuners are idiots that tell you that... and a good tuner can adjust for anything if the client ask..

I first started with Stage 1, Renntech
Thank you man, your post gives me hope. With your renntech stage 1 do you mind if I ask u a few questions............. do you know how much power you were making at the engine with that tune? Also what tires were u using at the time mate? Stock sizes?

Thanks again 😁
Old 11-12-2020, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 306 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Thank you man, your post gives me hope. With your renntech stage 1 do you mind if I ask u a few questions............. do you know how much power you were making at the engine with that tune? Also what tires were u using at the time mate? Stock sizes?

Thanks again 😁
Hey no problem ask away :-)

My car was stock, so the power output was what ever normal for a c63s is/was ... and to be honest I dont care about the NUMBERS, as I dont need to compare that with anyone.
Did the Stage 1, make the car go !! YES, was it a noticeable change YES!! Tires, rims at the time were all stock.. LOVED IT...

I am not trying to have a HP war, or drag race slip showing I beat this or that.. I did the mods, because I want to enjoy the crap out of my car, and yes, its nice to smoke a few other sports car while doing the grocery shipping.. :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by FLC63s:
Jimmy_c63s (11-13-2020), MaverickC43 (04-04-2023)
Old 11-12-2020, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2019 C63CS

Regards,
George Lisciandro
IMO, you want a sensible tune that doesn't destroy the balance of the car and the one you wanna look at is CarBahn. It involves upgrading the turbos and mostly increase power at the top end. This car has plenty of torque down low already, but the stock turbos are small, so it can't make a lot more power at the top and even in stock tune starts to fall off before redline. Most tunes out there for a stock turbo setup mostly increase low and mid range power/torque, which is not really where you want it. CarBahn also offers a comprehensive suspension and wheel upgrade to allow the car to handle the extra power. Power w/o a sunspension that can put it to the ground is useless. Below is a pretty good video from Steve Dinan walking through the whole upgrade package.

The following users liked this post:
Jimmy_c63s (11-13-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Traction Problems and solutions?