Sponsored by:

Driver assist package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Driver assist package

Is it worth it? Looking at a 2018 coupe c63s but it doesn’t have the DA package not worth getting?
Old 09-28-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
Worth it, but not the end of the world without it, if the deal is right.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
The speed limit information is handy, but it's been my experience, using similar systems from Garmin and Audi, that it isn't always 100% up-to-date, and incorrect info is just as bad as no info in that situation.

The extra safety features sound good on paper but it's hard to say how effective they are in the real world. Like how do you test the Pedestrian Recognition? Try to hit a jay-walker? I will say that the standard safety features (blind spot monitoring and collision prevention) do work pretty well, so I don't think the upgraded stuff is necessary. Case in point: the gate to get into my complex would sometimes trigger the collision prevention if I didn't wait for to open all the way (even though it was open enough for me to get through) and it would cause the car to come to a complete stop (and scare the crap out of me in the process). And I don't trust lane keeping assistance enough to ever want to use it.

The only feature that seems really compelling to me is Distronic (automated cruise control speed), but 95% of my driving is around town and I can probably count on one hand how many times I use cruise control per year.

If you do a lot of highway driving, it might be worth it for Distronic alone, though.

Last edited by GordonGEICO; 09-28-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Distronic is what you’re paying for. Autonomous cruise control is a really nice feature on highways, especially in traffic jams. It’s makes stop and go traffic way less stressful when you can let the ACC take over.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
C63S Coupe/Range Rover Vogue SE
Like Uga said it won't be the end of the world if you don't have it but it's a very useful package to spec either way. If you do a lot of motorway driving or find yourself in stop and go city traffic regularly Distronic is a godsend. The blindspot assist has come in handy a few times as has the collision prevention assist.

​​​​To be honest I tend to miss some of the features when I drive a car that doesn't have them but as said before, it's not the end of the world.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
C63 amg esate
I’ve had it on my last 2 c63’s and I find it very useful especially on motorways and even town driving, it is a bit pricey on the Merc. when it’s a standard feature on my wife’s VW Arteon, she never uses it on either car by the way.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
It took me a while to get used to distronic with steering assist and i didn't trust it in the start but once I got used to it , I almost always turn it on on motorway journeys .I don't think I really used it at all during the first couple of months. when I did, it felt like it didn't know what it was doing initially but then once I figured out how it works , I keep it on quite often. it's great in traffic and also for cruising.

it does help when I go on 1000mile plus long weekend trips and also short 30 mile motorway journeys too. For a bit of entertainment value, I use it in sport plus and turn the speed up to 90mph and when the car spots a gap ahead, it pushes me back in my seat and accelerates really quick. it feels like a psychopath is behind the wheel or I'm on a runaway train. it is much calmer and smoother in comfort mode.

the other stuff like active blind spot assist has proved useful once or twice when idiots have performed some unexpected and dangerous lane changes. At other times it beeps when I'm indicating as I turn off roundabouts which are false alarms. useful too in emergency.

overall , very nice if you find use for distronic.

Oddly , I have never used parking pilot on this car but used it on my gla 45 at least 100 times. May be the 360 camera has rendered the pilot obsolete for me.