Sponsored by:

Smell of gas after B service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 05:22 AM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
GLC63S, A35 AMG
Question Smell of gas after B service

My 2015 C63 was in for a big service recently - B with new spark plugs, filters, gearbox oil, software updates, etc etc.

Anyway - a couple strange things that I wonder if any of you have experienced?

1) It seems to crank for about a second longer before firing up when starting up from cold
2) When stationary or moving slow in traffic, there is a bit of a gas smell coming through the air vents

I've popped the hood to try to track down the gas smell, and it appears to be coming from the back right of the engine bay (seen as standing in front of the car). No obvious leaks can be seen.

My thinking is that when they did the service (especially changing the plugs), they disturbed something. But what? Is anyone here familiar with the steps for changing the plugs?

If it's a simple 10 minute job with a spanner, then i'd rather fix it myself than take it back to the dealership. What do you reckon?
Old 11-03-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
I would guess you’re smelling other cars exhaust coming through your vents in traffic. Only way you would smell yourself would be failed cat or leaking injector o ring if they had to be removed/installed. If they changed your cabin filter and somehow contaminated it with fuel that would do it, but that’s highly unlikely. As for the car taking a second longer to start when cold, that could just be due to the gap they chose on the spark plugs or possibly a change in the software.
The following users liked this post:
Wiggis (11-03-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
GLC63S, A35 AMG
Quick update. Took the car to MB. They reckon the braided fuel hose wrapped in insulation is leaking internally. Car off the road while a replacement comes from Germany. So it was actually leaking fuel... :-(