Sponsored by:

carbon ceramic brake question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS550 / C63 S / Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
carbon ceramic brake question

Hello all, I am currently in the process of purchasing a CPO 2017 C63 S and have narrowed my selection down to a couple. One has carbon ceramic brakes and the other doesn't. I wondering if it's possible do a steel/iron rotor conversion on the carbon ceramic model? I will be using this vehicle as my daily driver and see no need for the added maintenance expense of replacing carbon braking components. Thank's for your advise!

Ted
Old 11-22-2018, 08:01 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Ted Poulos
Hello all, I am currently in the process of purchasing a CPO 2017 C63 S and have narrowed my selection down to a couple. One has carbon ceramic brakes and the other doesn't. I wondering if it's possible do a steel/iron rotor conversion on the carbon ceramic model? I will be using this vehicle as my daily driver and see no need for the added maintenance expense of replacing carbon braking components. Thank's for your advise!

Ted
How long do you intend on keeping the car ?

If like most people here your leasing/loaning/short term then just get the vehicle the steel brake package.

If your going to own your car outright/long term IMHO go for the ceramic brake package, as well as the obvious advantages they last a lot longer than the steel rotors therefore won't be replaced anywhere near as often taking up some of the initial high cost
Old 11-22-2018, 08:18 PM

I will most likely sale the car at 75,000 miles or so. I may do 1 or 2 track days. With that being said, is it possible that the original rotors will last until I sale the car? Thanks
Old 11-22-2018, 09:24 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Ted Poulos
I will most likely sale the car at 75,000 miles or so. I may do 1 or 2 track days. With that being said, is it possible that the original rotors will last until I sale the car? Thanks
If it was with zero track use, yes the CC rotors can last that long, you'll need to change pads in that usage span though.

Depending on how 'abusive' you get with track time, wear and tear will be up - hard to put a figure on that one after a couple of stints at it.

Just go for the CCB if it's within your budget, leave them if not that might be the way to approach this one, also consider day to day use the steel brakes bite a little more most of the time unless you change to ceramic pads vs the stock OEM pads and CCB's may sometimes cause squealing which you will need to address or it'll drive you mad lol
Old 11-22-2018, 09:37 PM

Excellent advice. Thank you. If I choose to go the steel route, can I install OEM/aftermarket rotors and pads with the original ceramic calipers? I couldn’t put the CC rotors and pads up and use them for track days only. Sorry to be so nitpicky-I want to ensure that I make the right decision. Thanks!

Last edited by Ted Poulos; 11-22-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
C63s ED1 Coupe
I love CCBs on my car. They last a long time and they are coming down in price when it comes to replacement. So I would say go for it!