Sponsored by:

Question about tire and tire temperature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 C63 coupe
Question about tire and tire temperature

So I just got my 2019 c63 back today from the installation of the clear mask and tinted window.
Drove around a little bit and noticed that one of my tire temperatures is about 70F and the other three tires are around 50F.
Is that like a tire pressure problem? I think the tire pressures are different, but I don't remember the exact numbers.

And is it ok to drive with the Michelin PSS tire during the winter? Not in the snow, just when the road is dry.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:03 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Considering you're in Utah, where it does get cold, you'd be better off on winters or good all round tyres. In cold, not snow, the rubber will get very hard and not have much give, leading to loss of traction until they warm up properly. I'd also check the tyre pressures. MercedesMe or speedo console will give that. Follow the pressures on the gas tank cover, not the door jam.

HTH
Old 12-05-2018, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 C63 coupe
Ah I see. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-05-2018, 04:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
congrats on the fine vehicle !it will be fine to drive in the cold, but that depends just how cold. your car does have a slippery mode and comfort mode which will be able to see you through. it is worth a try initially. one thing to say though of course is on the right winter tyres , driving will be easier, though note , less fun at low speeds. it is great to be able to spin the wheels at low speed in the winter on summer tyres but at the same time , winter tyres will grip the road really well, though will not really stop as fast. also winter tyres will deal nicely in icy conditions compared to summer tyres
Old 12-05-2018, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I lived in VA Beach where it used to get cold but didn't snow often. I also had a dedicated winter beater on snow tires, so I stored my C63 in the garage during the winter months and kept it on PSS. There are those days where it's super cold but very sunny and clear and you just want to take the car out for a drive. It's good to get everything going and get the fluid up to temp. It's fine to drive on PSS as long as you don't push the car. As stated, grip levels are VERY low and feedback is much less. The tires can break away much more suddenly, not nearly as progressive as in the warm temps. I think as long as you are smart, an occasional drive in the cold is fine. Any moisture at all, park the car. 45 and rain or any forecast of snow is no bueno. I drove the car in 45 degree temps and rain on summer tires one time and knew it was dumb when I was managing wheelspin from a light and noticed a grandma in a prius out accelerating me.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,677 Likes on 2,457 Posts
2019 C63CS
It is not unusual for tires to be at different temperatures and different pressures. There's more weight on the driver side of the car for example if you are the only one in the car. Predominately turning to one side will put more stress on the outer tires and heat them up more. Make a ton of left turns for example, and you'll find that your right tires will heat up more and raise in temperature means a proportional raise in pressure. Every 10F increase/decrease equals 1 psi increase/decrease. It's just physics. The important thing is to check the tire pressure while the tires are cold. Rule of thumb is not driven for at least 3 hours or not for more than 1 mile.

As for summer performance tires in the winter, that would be a no if you live in a climate that sees temperatures fall below 45F regularly. The compound in summer tires is designed for warmer temperatures. Below 45F they get hard and brittle and they lose their dry grip and can start to crack. On a powerful car like this with RWD, not necessarily something to not pay attention to. Here in the SF Bay Area, I do keep summer tires on my car all year around. It can occasionally drop into the low 40s at night or even 30s much further north, but mostly it's above 45F and I keep my car garaged, so if there is a cold night it won't freeze the tires. Never had issues, but I've also been driving AWD performance cars for the last 12 years. However, I did the same with the RWD and FWD cars I owned before that and I will do the same with my future C63 S. If I drive up to the mountains in the winter, we either take my wife's car with all-season tires or I rent. We used to have a nice little program here in San Francisco from Audi called Audi on Demand through which you could rent anything from an A3 to an R8 Sypder on a daily basis. I used their service a lot as my flexible third car option and spent a lot of time driving their R8s in the canyons. Unfortunately, the program was terminated recently in favor of Silvercar which Audi acquired not too long ago. They rent Q5s, A4s and A5 cabs and are found in many cities across the USA now. It'll be what I'll use in the future whenever I need something a bit more weather-proofed.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-05-2018 at 12:43 PM.