C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 C63s cabriolet key issue

Old 01-26-2019, 09:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lincoln
2019 C63s cabriolet key issue

Hi, I am new to Mercedes and still learning the vehicle. I took delivery on 12/13/18.
Over the last month or so, I have had an issue with the car not recognizing that the key is in my pocket.
3 times now, when I approach the car and place my hand on/in the handle to open the door, nothing happens. I have to use the remote to physically unlock the car.
I know this is a 1st world issue, but just wondering why this is happening.
Any thoughts?
Old 01-26-2019, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
Originally Posted by cleanfreak
Hi, I am new to Mercedes and still learning the vehicle. I took delivery on 12/13/18.
Over the last month or so, I have had an issue with the car not recognizing that the key is in my pocket.
3 times now, when I approach the car and place my hand on/in the handle to open the door, nothing happens. I have to use the remote to physically unlock the car.
I know this is a 1st world issue, but just wondering why this is happening.
Any thoughts?

It can be finicky sometimes and have a slight delay. That's what I've noticed. IE... I grab the handle as I walk up and it takes another pull. This is more likely because you have to be extremely close to the car. Like almost right on top of it.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:54 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
I’ve noticed If your cell phone is on the same pocket or in between the door handle and your key it will cause interference. Ive also occasionally had your same issue with the car not recognizing the key even after I pull it out of my pocket and hold it 3” from the handle.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT
I’ve noticed If your cell phone is on the same pocket or in between the door handle and your key it will cause interference. Ive also occasionally had your same issue with the car not recognizing the key even after I pull it out of my pocket and hold it 3” from the handle.
Having a cellphone in the same pocket is an issue for this and other keyless systems. It's such a hard habit to break, but I try to remember to put them in separate pockets now.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Is the issue the same on either side of the car? I had a similar problem on a different car, and it turned out to be a bad antenna in one door.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:46 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
Originally Posted by AJRDU
Having a cellphone in the same pocket is an issue for this and other keyless systems. It's such a hard habit to break, but I try to remember to put them in separate pockets now.
Yea I figured it out when I had my ctsv and have gotten used to having my phone in my left pocket ever since aside from the occasional time I toss it in my right pocket lol. Oddly enough it doesn’t always interfere with the key.

Originally Posted by rustybear3
Is the issue the same on either side of the car? I had a similar problem on a different car, and it turned out to be a bad antenna in one door.
Ive had the issue on both front doors and atleast one rear door so it’s not door specific for me. Good point tho!