Winter tires - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires

 
Old 02-11-2019, 10:12 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Edmonton, AB; Canada
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2019 C63S AMG Coupe
Winter tires

The dealership gave me a set of Pirelli 240 Sottozero winters for my C63S, but I find them to be terrible, and worse than the Blizzaks and X-Ice Xi3s I ran on my M4 in past winters. As a matter of fact I did a 180 on the highway and took out my rear diffuser.

Has anyone else had experience with these tires? I am debating if I should just sell them and get another set of Blizzaks.
Forthewinwin is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 AM
  #2  
Member
 
right_mr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: SURREY, UK
Posts: 178
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
Originally Posted by Forthewinwin View Post
The dealership gave me a set of Pirelli 240 Sottozero winters for my C63S, but I find them to be terrible, and worse than the Blizzaks and X-Ice Xi3s I ran on my M4 in past winters. As a matter of fact I did a 180 on the highway and took out my rear diffuser.

Has anyone else had experience with these tires? I am debating if I should just sell them and get another set of Blizzaks.
Looks like i dodged a bullet with those tyres. The two official tyres for my c63s wagon were 240 sottozeros or conti 830p. I sidestepped the mediocrity and got myself some michelin alpin PA4s in 245 front and 265 rear width. Lovely lovely tyres, cant recommend them enough. I wish i could have got conti 860s for my car but couldnt get the right size but the michelins are doing a great job in rain, cold and were fine in snow. We did have really thick and highly slippery ice on the road one day and they struggled a bit, but for usual black ice, they are fine.

Were you going hard in sport plus mode?
right_mr is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 69
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2017 C63S Sedan
Just sell them. And I recommend Michelin PA4, 255/35R19 front and 285/30R19 Rear. They are really good
g2lujinn is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:47 PM
  #4  
KJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 449
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
I just bought Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 (which replaced the PA4).

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/pilot-alpin-5

Haven't put them on yet (waiting for my PA4's to wear down more). That being said, the tire is much newer, so the performance should be a nice bump from the already great PA4.
KJ is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 PM
  #5  
Member
 
untamedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 184
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
I too have got the Michelin PA4s on my coupe in the 255 square setup. The tires have good grip in rain/snow but given the nature of the car and the winter here in canada, the snow can sometimes be too much to handle so there have been days where id prefer to just not drive.
untamedd is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:29 PM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Edmonton, AB; Canada
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2019 C63S AMG Coupe
Thanks for the suggestions. I've done some reading around and seems like the verdict is the Michelins. I'll go order a set.

Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I just bought Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 (which replaced the PA4).

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/pilot-alpin-5

Haven't put them on yet (waiting for my PA4's to wear down more). That being said, the tire is much newer, so the performance should be a nice bump from the already great PA4.
Not available in my size I am running 20s; 285s in the rear.

Originally Posted by right_mr View Post
Looks like i dodged a bullet with those tyres. The two official tyres for my c63s wagon were 240 sottozeros or conti 830p. I sidestepped the mediocrity and got myself some michelin alpin PA4s in 245 front and 265 rear width. Lovely lovely tyres, cant recommend them enough. I wish i could have got conti 860s for my car but couldnt get the right size but the michelins are doing a great job in rain, cold and were fine in snow. We did have really thick and highly slippery ice on the road one day and they struggled a bit, but for usual black ice, they are fine.

Were you going hard in sport plus mode?
Yeah every set of Michelins I've had were great. And Not at all. I wasn't even accelerating very much and was just cruising along. But accelerating even lightly from every stop light is painful on these tires.
Forthewinwin is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:32 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Edmonton, AB; Canada
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2019 C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by untamedd View Post
I too have got the Michelin PA4s on my coupe in the 255 square setup. The tires have good grip in rain/snow but given the nature of the car and the winter here in canada, the snow can sometimes be too much to handle so there have been days where id prefer to just not drive.

Yeah I am in northern Alberta and seems like very snowfall there is at least a dozen accidents. Last winter the record was 147 accidents in one day. Go figure
Forthewinwin is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:51 AM
  #8  
KJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 449
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by Forthewinwin View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I've done some reading around and seems like the verdict is the Michelins. I'll go order a set.

Not available in my size I am running 20s; 285s in the rear.
If you can hold out until next winter, I'm sure there will be more sizes available!
KJ is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 AM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
dchl21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,124
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
f blizzkas too . if u want to own snow then get michlen pilot alpine, the best ive had
dchl21 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:58 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
crazy1eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal Quebec
Posts: 369
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
2016 C63S, 2012 ML350
I run a 255/35/19 square setup & have no issues here in Montreal with Nokian Hakkapalitta R2
crazy1eye is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 01:14 PM
  #11  
Member
 
right_mr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: SURREY, UK
Posts: 178
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
Originally Posted by Forthewinwin View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I've done some reading around and seems like the verdict is the Michelins. I'll go order a set.



Not available in my size I am running 20s; 285s in the rear.
if 19 inch rims with the same width can fit on your car and you would be happy with aftermarket rims , that could work and not necessarily batter your bank balance vs getting official super pricey ones .
right_mr is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter tires


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: