Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9G Transmission Jerkiness in Stop-n-Go Traffic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
I just got my 2018 C63s coupe back from the 10,000 mile service. Of course new tires were needed, so I switched to the Michelin PS4S 265/295 combination. Seems like a totally different car - of course I always enjoy getting new tires, but the ride is better and so is the handling - as many here have also reported.

However, there were two software updates, and one of them has definitely changed the character of the transmission. The shifts seem a lot quicker and smoother. All told, it seems like I got a different car back and I can no longer fault the transmission. I would be interested in any feedback from others who have recently gotten program updates. I bought my car last February.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
The weather has been poor and so unfortunately I have not gotten around to testing AMG Dynamics yet.

I just wanted to update that going into manual mode is definitely the solution to jerkiness in heavy traffic. When you're just rolling along shifting between 2nd and 3rd, the car will keep suggesting you upshift into 4th. A fine strategy for casually going stoplight to stoplight but not really the best when it's stop-n-go.

The car has been a delight otherwise. Gets smoother and smoother and now I can really push that soundtrack.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Xec
I'm experiencing some jerkiness in 1st/2nd/3rd in stop and go traffic with the new 9G transmission. Shifts are not very smooth. However, it is fine with normal or spirited acceleration. I've only been driving in Comfort. 700+ miles on the odometer. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have almost 2,000 miles on my C63 and the jerking continues to happen. Now i have issues with the car stalling. My dealer "cannot replicate" so they have done nothing for me. Wondering if I should reach out to a lawyer?
Old 03-08-2021, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,434 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by mmich22
I have almost 2,000 miles on my C63 and the jerking continues to happen. Now i have issues with the car stalling. My dealer "cannot replicate" so they have done nothing for me. Wondering if I should reach out to a lawyer?
Welcome to MBWorld. This is an older thread when most of us just got our cars or were still waiting on them. I now have 18k miles on my coupe and it drives phenomenal. There have been a couple of service campaigns to fix issues related to the AMG Drive Unit for 2019/2020 models. They came coded wrong from the factory causing issues with the dynamic engine mounts and the rear differential. Nothing was specifically said about the transmission, but I can tell you that pretty much all the remaining jerkiness I had went away with these updates. The car drives much smoother now around town in Comfort mode and overall drives noticeably better. These updates came out during the second half of last year, so not very long ago. There's also a recall for the ESP, in case your car is affected by it. I do have to say that the car drove better and better over time. At 8000 miles or so there was a noticeable change in performance and how it drove. I still had some jerkiness in the transmission, but I also learned how to manage it. Still the software updates were a welcome improvement. It really drives very nice now. Kinda wish it drove like this much sooner. The stalling you are experiencing is something else, though. I haven't had that, but there were some folks who had similar issues with the car stalling at a stop and not restarting when ECO start/stop is turned on. I always turn it off, though, but some cars seem to have issues with it.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by mmich22
In most states (given your mileage and age of vehicle), if you’ve been to the dealership three times for the same issue and they can’t repair the issue, you have the right to lemon law the car.

Start talking about the lemon law and MB buying back the car next time you speak with them. That will get their attention. If not, go directly to corporate MB North America and they will work with the dealership. If nothing comes from that, and you continue to having problems, then find the cheapest auto lawyer you can find because that is a clear black and white lemon law case heavily leaning in your favor.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE AMG53
GLE AMG53 Transmission

I just recently purchased a AMG 53 and experiencing the jerkiness that others are discussing at low gears. As I approach a stop sign, stop light or another vehicle, prompting me to brake, the transmission is very rough, often jerky and grabby feeling. I have taken the vehicle in twice and the dealership is stating it is characteristic of the vehicle which a very weak response. I am hearing from others is that is without question the 9-speed transmission that is being used by MB. Has anyone had success with a dealership fixing the problem? I have no desire to keep a vehicle that performs like this.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,434 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by sclavette
I just recently purchased a AMG 53 and experiencing the jerkiness that others are discussing at low gears. As I approach a stop sign, stop light or another vehicle, prompting me to brake, the transmission is very rough, often jerky and grabby feeling. I have taken the vehicle in twice and the dealership is stating it is characteristic of the vehicle which a very weak response. I am hearing from others is that is without question the 9-speed transmission that is being used by MB. Has anyone had success with a dealership fixing the problem? I have no desire to keep a vehicle that performs like this.
You'll have better luck posting in the AMG GLE section. While AMG uses a 9-speed transmission in most of their models, they are not the same transmissions. The C63 discussed here and most other 63 models for that matter use what they call a multi clutch transmission. Most of its characteristics come from using a wet clutch instead of a torque converter between the engine and transmission. The GLE doesn't use the MCT transmission, not even the GLE 63. The 53 in addition has an alternator/generator sandwiched between the engine and the transmission, so that's yet another difference that determines the characteristics. I've read about numerous issues with the 48-Volt system that's at the core of this, particularly with the GLE.

Dealerships can't really do anything to change the characteristics of the transmission beyond replacing faulty parts and updating the software if available. Most often unpleasant behavior of the transmissions comes down to incomplete or incorrect adaptation. These transmissions learn and adapt on their own for the most part, but occasionally it can happen that the adaptation didn't go as planned due to specific driving situations. There are procedures to reset the adaptations or help it along that dealer techs can use to try to improve things, beyond updating the software to address known issues. At some point, though, the transmission is what it is and in an AMG it is tuned to provide more feedback and a more connected feel for better or worse.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:20 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
C63
I've noticed on my 21 when it is cold, the first 5-10 minutes the car "can" be jerky if I am not careful with the throttle. If I feather it in off idle it will smoothly pull away but just a hint too much and it does the herky jerky dance up to 3rd gear. Once warm I noticed it is much less prevalent and not an issue for me now. Life with high performance power trains comes with quirks!