MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   C63 Sedan vs. C63 Coupe (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/741896-c63-sedan-vs-c63-coupe.html)

AlexZTuned 04-25-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by msd3075 (Post 7740474)
The coupe and the sedan don't really feel all that different at the limit. Back to back, you'll notice a difference, but they do feel very similar. Most noticeable difference was rear stability under heavy braking when weight is shifted forward. But it wasn't all that big of a difference.

And I'm talking from real-world experience here, not just repeating what I've read elsewhere else.

The Coupe has the same rear end as the E63S. Very different setup to what's in the sedan. Wider tires, fender flares, better traction during acceleration and cornering despite weighing 100lbs more than the sedan (and that weight is all due to the bracing and stiffening components under the Coupe - which was actually developed for the Convertible, but it was cheaper to produce both Coupe and Convertible with the same chassis bracing).

Coupe all day every day. I almost bought a sedan when it first came out, but I'm glad I waited. It looks too pedestrian compared to the widebody Coupe.

Xec 04-25-2019 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned (Post 7741465)
It looks too pedestrian compared to the widebody Coupe.

If the sedan is "too pedestrian" looking, the coupe really isn't that far off either with the only visual difference being the wider fenders/tires. And I think the US-spec coupe rear bumperettes are downright fugly.

Soubido 04-25-2019 02:12 PM

I feel like everyone here is trying to defend their purchase/choice lol You bought the sedan because you think it’s better, and I bought the coupe because I think it’s better. Everyone doesn’t have to like the same things lol

skim7x 04-25-2019 02:14 PM

Yes, Everyone must agree that the sedan is best. This thread cannot end until all coupe-owners admit they bought the wrong car!! =D

Xec 04-25-2019 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by skim7x (Post 7741539)
Yes, Everyone must agree that the sedan is best. This thread cannot end until all coupe-owners admit they bought the wrong car!! =D

Looking at the thread, it seems more like the other way around lol.

In the end though, I think we all made the right choice since we bought a C63. No question that the coupe handles the best of all the variants. If they make a C63R coupe, I'll be first in line :)

purplewidow 04-25-2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Xec (Post 7741514)
If the sedan is "too pedestrian" looking, the coupe really isn't that far off either with the only visual difference being the wider fenders/tires. And I think the US-spec coupe rear bumperettes are downright fugly.

Every review says the sedan is more pedestrian/sleeper looking compared to the coupe.. I couldn’t find a review that said the sedan was better besides for practicality of the rear doors using the preface “if you have small kids there is the sedan.” looks wise literally the only people I have heard that like the sedan looks more are people who either own a sedan or have one on order. The looks comparison is overwhelming in favor of the coupe by most. Literally out of 40 people I asked no one said get the sedan but a c63s sedan owner said “the sedan is good too though”

We all aren’t the same and as such have different opinions. But there is still a majority.. rarely is there ever a perfect 50/50 split or all agree.. that said reviews of the fleet point to the coupe as the better looking more muscular of the group. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with that. There isn’t a problem if you aren’t in the majority. I don’t see why there is arguing over opinion.. you can’t on something like which design you prefer.. but the results of the opinions cannot be argued and that favors the coupe and that fuels more of a defensive attitude from owners and people who have them on order and some lash out based on the results of most not agreeing with their own opinion by making fun of the majority’s opinion.. They feel backed into a corner as is overwhelmingly displayed in this thread.

Xec 04-25-2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by purplewidow (Post 7741557)
There isn’t a problem if you aren’t in the majority. I don’t see why there is arguing over opinion.. you can’t on something like which design you prefer.. but the results of the opinions cannot be argued and that favors the coupe and that fuels more of a defensive attitude from owners and people who have them on order and some lash out based on the results of most not agreeing with their own opinion by making fun of the majority’s opinion.. They feel backed into a corner as is overwhelmingly displayed in this thread.

Are you talking about me? I don't feel like I participated in the mud flinging earlier in this thread.

If you are, I genuinely wasn't making fun of other's opinions. Even when the coupe first came out, I detested the rear bumperettes. Hate them on all US-spec cars. They're horrible on the GT and new CLS too. They are also atrocious on the Chiron and that new Aston. Can't understand why manufacturers can't make a US-specific custom bumper.

Also stand with the Accord opinion (which was brought up by someone else). That's not really a slight on the C coupe though, they really do share similar lines and it's more that the Accord coupe is actually pretty good looking. C is obviously much better though.

Again, in the end I think all the C63 variants are excellent and I'd pick up a R if they make it.

msd3075 04-25-2019 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned (Post 7741465)
The Coupe has the same rear end as the E63S. Very different setup to what's in the sedan. Wider tires, fender flares, better traction during acceleration and cornering despite weighing 100lbs more than the sedan (and that weight is all due to the bracing and stiffening components under the Coupe - which was actually developed for the Convertible, but it was cheaper to produce both Coupe and Convertible with the same chassis bracing).

Coupe all day every day. I almost bought a sedan when it first came out, but I'm glad I waited. It looks too pedestrian compared to the widebody Coupe.

I'm not saying there isn't a difference. I'm saying that it's no where near as big of a difference as people on here make it out to be.

benzbell 04-25-2019 05:08 PM

Sedan has always out sold the coupe. What's that tell you? To me there is just something off about the back half of the coupe.

msd3075 04-25-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by benzbell (Post 7741745)
Sedan has always out sold the coupe. What's that tell you? To me there is just something off about the back half of the coupe.

And the Toyota Corolla outsells the C63S sedan. Your point?

8cd03gro 04-25-2019 05:25 PM

At least we can all agree that Designo Silver Magno is by far the fastest color.

superswiss 04-25-2019 06:00 PM

Coupes are niche products. Always have been. The majority of people used to buy sedans. Now the majority buys crossovers and SUVs. The reason for that are the lifestyles. Many have kids and think they need the additional practicality and space. Most Europeans buy wagons for the same reason. Mercedes/AMG offers these body styles to sell more cars. The typical customer for a C63 sedan/wagon is the husband/father who has to convince his wife that he is buying a car that works for the family, but really wants a sports car or the business man who needs to shuttle around customers. For somebody who is single or married with no children a coupe is more appealing and offers enough practicality for road trips and daily use over a more limited 2 seater sports car, but there are always exceptions.

benzbell 04-25-2019 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by msd3075 (Post 7741751)
And the Toyota Corolla outsells the C63S sedan. Your point?

If the Coupe is so much better then it would out sell the sedan. Toyota analogy isn't even relevant to this discussion. This discussion is about C63 coupe/sedan.

Klinh 04-25-2019 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro (Post 7741765)
At least we can all agree that Designo Silver Magno is by far the fastest color.

Don’t think so. Mine Designo Matte white Magno is faster then your !! You want race? 😄

msd3075 04-25-2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by benzbell (Post 7741797)
If the Coupe is so much better then it would out sell the sedan. Toyota analogy isn't even relevant to this discussion. This discussion is about C63 coupe/sedan.

It's completely relevant. People buy what it useful to them, not what is better on a track.

AlexZTuned 04-25-2019 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by msd3075 (Post 7741810)
It's completely relevant. People buy what it useful to them, not what is better on a track.

Exactly this. A sedan is generally going to outsell a coupe because it's a more practical car to own, has more space, useable backseats, etc.

The C63S Sedan also came out two years before the Coupe, so the Sedan actually has more years in production than the Coupe.

Jaydavid93 04-30-2019 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by E=mC63 (Post 7732799)
Hi everyone,

I have been an avid C63 owner since 2012. I purchased a 2012 C63 Sedan, and ended up selling it about a year and a half ago.
I have been driving family cars to pass the time, and now I am ready to purchase a 2019 C63.
I am highly debating on purchasing a coupe. It just looks amazing.

I have a few questions regarding the pros and cons of owning a C63 Coupe?
For the coupe, is it difficult to throw things in the back seat, is it difficult loading passengers, and how are the blind spots, & etc.
Those of you who have sedans, would you want a coupe & vice versa?

Keep in mind that the pricing on the C63 Sedan is about $5000-$10,000 cheaper than the coupe.
I just would love for there to be a compelling argument on why I should get the coupe over the sedan.
Thank you all, would love to see the responses!

I personally love my coupe. I wouldnt consider the sedan as an option because of the look. The coupe looks like 100k car should the sedan reminds me too much of a regular family car. The stance and performance on the coupe is better imo as well. You get bigger tires on the rear of the coupe stock which this car really needs. As far as blind spots go yes its gonna be harder to see out of the back. The roofline and slope on the back reduce visibility. However that said we have backup camras and blind spot markers on the mirrors. I drive with limo tint on and have no problems. If you want a family sedan i would rather have an audi rs7 or a Porsche Panamera for 100k. I say get the coupe. I have had several large adults in the back of mine and i have heard no complaints about room.

Klinh 04-30-2019 06:15 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9eb2d9320.jpeg

Agreed !!

AV1 05-02-2019 10:40 PM

LOL ^^^^

Personally I would have written 10 million times better looking :)

C3504matic 05-02-2019 11:21 PM

referring to past model coupes ....;)

AV1 05-03-2019 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by C3504matic (Post 7747344)
referring to past model coupes ....;)

The C204 is one of the best looking coupe designs MB have ever made, hofmeister kink and all :)

Looking forward to also having a C205 sitting next to the 204 in the garage soon :D

dbvolz 05-03-2019 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Xec (Post 7741514)

Take them off? Seems like an easy fix.

I'd attribute it more to the practicality of having four doors, and more importantly PRICE. The Coupe would have been more expensive for me, as they were giving massive discounts on the Sedan when I bought mine last year.

In short: I would have love to have the Coupe. I think the rear flared fenders on the C63S Coupe are just pure sex. It also came down to price and practicality for me though, so in the end sedan was the way to go for me.
I ended up getting 30,000 Euro discount on a brand new sedan vs maybe half that (on the coupe). You do the math.

benzbell 05-03-2019 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by dbvolz (Post 7747414)
I'd attribute it more to the practicality of having four doors, and more importantly PRICE. The Coupe would have been more expensive for me, as they were giving massive discounts on the Sedan when I bought mine last year.

In short: I would have love to have the Coupe. I think the rear flared fenders on the C63S Coupe are just pure sex. It also came down to price and practicality for me though, so in the end sedan was the way to go for me.
I ended up getting 30,000 Euro discount on a brand new sedan vs maybe half that (on the coupe). You do the math.

Okay - I just did the math. Difference in base price between a coupe and sedan is $1,850. If the sedan is more popular sales-wise because of practicality and price. Then you have your winner, which answers OP's question.

4dr.no 05-03-2019 09:14 AM

I read in another thread, that I cannot find, about someone who had a body shop remove them and there ended up being a hole the size of the bumperette that required patching and respray.

And how did you get a 30,000 discount on a 90,000 car? Are you an MB employee?

benzbell 05-03-2019 09:24 AM

Not an easy fix. If you lease the car. You wouldn't want to do this. If you own the car and sell it later. You wouldn't want to do it for liability reasons. You could get sued by someone you sell the car to because they were removed if they got in an accident. Not to mention the DOT mandates they are supposed to be there. Not worth the risk for something that 99.9% of the people would never even give a second glance or thought to.