MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   Apple CarPlay??? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/742860-apple-carplay.html)

superstarR 05-16-2019 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by pl626 (Post 7756927)
You have to go into 'Engineering' mode in COMAND. You'll have to toggle some settings then reset once the aux is toggled. Audio quality is same as OEM, but make sure the smartbox volume setting is not maxed out, sound will distort. I set my smartbox volume at about 75%, then let COMAND handle the main volume control duties.

I just tried the engineering mode, but mostly everything is grayed out. How do I access it so it’s not grayed out?

pl626 05-16-2019 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by superstarR (Post 7757470)
I just tried the engineering mode, but mostly everything is grayed out. How do I access it so it’s not grayed out?

Goto '7. HW Setting', then goto '7.5 TGW Parameter', from there, on '1 MOST', toggle it to 'OFF'. Then go back to '7.7 HU Parameter' and go down to '4. Audio AUX' and toggle it to 'ON'. Now go back to '7.5 TGW Parameter' and toggle 'MOST' back on. Then exit out and reboot.

Be careful not to accidentally change anything else. I lost my Sirius somehow, but I was able to turn it back on in the Engineering menu.

superstarR 05-17-2019 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by pl626 (Post 7757495)
Goto '7. HW Setting', then goto '7.5 TGW Parameter', from there, on '1 MOST', toggle it to 'OFF'. Then go back to '7.7 HU Parameter' and go down to '4. Audio AUX' and toggle it to 'ON'. Now go back to '7.5 TGW Parameter' and toggle 'MOST' back on. Then exit out and reboot.

Be careful not to accidentally change anything else. I lost my Sirius somehow, but I was able to turn it back on in the Engineering menu.

I guess I’m in dealer mode. How do you get to engineering mode?

pl626 05-17-2019 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by superstarR (Post 7757514)
I guess I’m in dealer mode. How do you get to engineering mode?

I'm not sure if it's the same in the C class, but for E's, you need to simultaneously press three buttons:
red phone button , 1, & #.

Press these at the same time and hold them 10 secs .

I believe on the M's you have to press a 4th button. There should be several threads about entering Engineering Mode.

dewhurst90 05-19-2019 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7750140)
this guy doesnt know fully what he is talking about. you can not just replace the screen. headunit control module and screen must be replaced. due to updated electrical architecture on facelift w205, for certain control modules a can adapter is needed to analyze the new signals. some functionality may be missing. goodluck finding a wrecked new c63 for a while. even the face lifts with proper parts are hard to find.

if you have command stock in your car (bigger screen), pretty much the only solution is aftermarket. (i sell the better ones). Or if you had audio 20 headunit (smaller screen), then you can do an oem carplay upgrade (i sell this retrofit as well stateside).

That guy is right about needing to have DTS monaco, or you can use vediamo, but either are useless without proper knowledge and database files. if interested pm me and i can explain options.

Would this OEM CarPlay work on a 2016 A180 Sport Premium? If so how much do you sell it for I’m based in the UK.

superstarR 05-19-2019 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by pl626 (Post 7758245)
I'm not sure if it's the same in the C class, but for E's, you need to simultaneously press three buttons:
red phone button , 1, & #.

Press these at the same time and hold them 10 secs .

I believe on the M's you have to press a 4th button. There should be several threads about entering Engineering Mode.

I don't think the C class has a 1 & # button. Any other suggestions?

pl626 05-20-2019 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by superstarR (Post 7759388)
I don't think the C class has a 1 & # button. Any other suggestions?

So if you have a w205:

- Ignition in first stage

- set central display at Daytrip

- Press Phone button (accept call) and OK button at the same time for about 5 seconds

Star4life 05-20-2019 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by dewhurst90 (Post 7759324)
Would this OEM CarPlay work on a 2016 A180 Sport Premium? If so how much do you sell it for I’m based in the UK.

i cant really help if you are over seas unless you have access to a star SDS system. if you do i can supply you an oem solution.

I have an aftermarket version from JoyeAuto as well as listed above. It is wireless carplay and one of the best ones on the market that I have tested. I have a special price for MBworld members thats cheaper than you can get through them. and I give USA support for install and such which makes language barrier not a problem.

pm if interested. i have 1 in stock. this is a side thing i run out of my main business to help forum users out. I originally bought for my own personal use and some others asked me to get one for them so I ordered 10 at a time and can get more. I wouldnt waste my time with any other aftermarket solution.

superstarR 05-20-2019 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pl626 (Post 7759526)
So if you have a w205:

- Press Phone button (accept call) and OK button at the same time for about 5 seconds

Awesome thanks. Let me try it out.

superstarR 05-21-2019 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by pl626 (Post 7759526)
So if you have a w205:

It doesn’t work. I do get a workshop option but can’t make any changes. Anyone know any other way to enter this engineering mode?

Star4life 05-21-2019 09:21 AM

on w205 engineering mode is not enabled by default like older w204 and pretty much every other c class. needs to be enabled with coding. if yours is enabled its because dealer forgot to disable or someone didnt disable it at the factory. I can enable it if necessary. But i can also do pretty much anything you needs as well since I have original Star SDS system can activate VIM and aux. i offer these services if you get carplay through me or not. :) just trying to help the forum out! your best bet may be just to buy a obd module to activate. if you want VIM or other coding services then you may want to pm me to help you out as the cost for multiple obd modules will be more than 1 coding session.

Star4life 05-21-2019 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by superstarR (Post 7760233)
It doesn’t work. I do get a workshop option but can’t make any changes. Anyone know any other way to enter this engineering mode?

engineering mode is not enabled by default in w205. all older c class always had it enabled. if someone else has it, it is because the workshop left it enabled or there was a mistake. only way to enable is with coding machine or obd module. i can also enable it as well as VIM and aux and pretty much anything else as I have a full SDS. let me know if you need help.

pl626 05-22-2019 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7759529)
...pm if interested. i have 1 in stock. this is a side thing i run out of my main business to help forum users out. I originally bought for my own personal use and some others asked me to get one for them so I ordered 10 at a time and can get more. I wouldnt waste my time with any other aftermarket solution.

I wish I saw this earlier...I just had a Joyeauto wireless unit installed. It's been fantastic, but I'm always looking for a deal...

superstarR 05-22-2019 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by pl626 (Post 7761144)
I wish I say this earlier...I just had a Joyeauto wireless unit installed. It's been fantastic, but I'm always looking for a deal...

How is the carplay audio quality compared to the comand system since it goes through the aux-in?

pl626 05-22-2019 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by superstarR (Post 7761146)
How is the carplay audio quality compared to the comand system since it goes through the aux-in?

It's fine, you just need to make sure the Joyeauto smartbox output is NOT maximized. I found that if I leave it at 75% it's fine. If I max the output, the sound gets distorted, even though the COMAND vol is low.

superstarR 06-04-2019 02:32 AM

I wanted to share my experience since I just got the Joyeauto wireless Carplay installed in my W205 C63S.
I bought it on Aliexpress and it arrived by DHL in 2 days. I highly recommend this version since it's wireless and with auto-connect when you start the ignition. This system is amazing and the compatibility with the car has been great. When listening to Spotify, the sound of the audio is much better through the Joyeauto Carplay than the OEM Bluetooth or wired USB connection and I suspect it's because the sound is now being transmitted from the iPhone through WIFI to the Joyeauto system. There are now also 3 equalizers to manage the sound quality and even the phone sound quality from the internal speakers are even better.

The 3 Equalizers are:
1. Burmester equalizer
2. Joyeauto built-in equalizer
3. Spotify equalizer

For the install, there is a lot of large plug in play wires that need to go behind the head unit and not a lot of room. The microphone for the SIRI is installed next to the ashtray/12V and very hidden.

If anyone wants to buy a OBDII aux-in and VIM module activator, it's for sale as well. PM me if interested.

MFAMG 08-10-2019 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by superstarR (Post 7770762)
I wanted to share my experience since I just got the Joyeauto wireless Carplay installed in my W205 C63S.
I bought it on Aliexpress and it arrived by DHL in 2 days. I highly recommend this version since it's wireless and with auto-connect when you start the ignition. This system is amazing and the compatibility with the car has been great. When listening to Spotify, the sound of the audio is much better through the Joyeauto Carplay than the OEM Bluetooth or wired USB connection and I suspect it's because the sound is now being transmitted from the iPhone through WIFI to the Joyeauto system. There are now also 3 equalizers to manage the sound quality and even the phone sound quality from the internal speakers are even better.

The 3 Equalizers are:
1. Burmester equalizer
2. Joyeauto built-in equalizer
3. Spotify equalizer

For the install, there is a lot of large plug in play wires that need to go behind the head unit and not a lot of room. The microphone for the SIRI is installed next to the ashtray/12V and very hidden.

If anyone wants to buy a OBDII aux-in and VIM module activator, it's for sale as well. PM me if interested.

Long time lurcker, first time poster....

I received my Joyeauto wireless CarPlay kit today. Delivery was fast but after installation my Mercedes Radio function was displaying a "Device Unavailable" message. I expected all existing Mercedes functionality to work and have uninstalled the box for now.

Any ideas what might be causing the issue?

Anyone else installed this that can check if the Mercedes DAB (UK) Radio function still works for them?

Any help would be appreciated.

superstarR 08-10-2019 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by MFAMG (Post 7824858)

I received my Joyeauto wireless CarPlay kit today. Delivery was fast but after installation my Mercedes Radio function was displaying a "Device Unavailable" message. I expected all existing Mercedes functionality to work and have uninstalled the box for now.

Anyone else installed this that can check if the Mercedes DAB (UK) Radio function still works for them?

Not sure how to fix, but try looking at all the pins at the end of the cables to make sure none of them were bent while plugging in. Also msg Joyeauto CarPlay through WhatsApp and they will help answer questions. Better to contact them in the evening when it’s morning/afternoon in China for live responses. Add the following number to your WhatsApp. +86 189 4870 6765

Hope you resolve it.

Star4life 08-11-2019 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by MFAMG (Post 7824858)

do you have AUX in activated?

MFAMG 08-13-2019 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7825737)
do you have AUX in activated?

Not yet. Activator is due any day now. I'll try again once I receive it but I don't think that has anything to do with the Radio displaying a "device unavailable' message. Hope I'm wrong.

***UPDATE***

Received the activator today and installed the Joyeauto kit again. Turns out there was an additional cable for the radio that wasn't mentioned in the install video. It had to be removed from the original 48 pin connector and plugged directly into the Joyeauto 48 pin connector. This solved my DAB radio issue. Everything is working now.

A few observations from my first few hours using the system.....

CarPlay works really well and connects wirelessly with no problems. The audio is good (I've got the Burmester package), and I can't really tell any difference when listening to Tidal Hi-Fi between the original setup and the new setup. Moving between the Mercedes system and the Carplay system is very quick and you can even listen to the Joyeauto system while using Mercedes system functionality that doesn't need audio (e.g car settings, air-con control, navigation, etc). Navigating CarPlay and using the apps with the Mercedes controls is easy enough. It's also worth mentioning the staff at Joyeauto were quick to respond when contacting them via Aliexpress messenger and provided additional photos and advice when I mentioned the issue I had with the radio.

The not so goods....
  • If my phone is connected to the car's built in Bluetooth the CarPlay function gets disconnected. This means I've had to 'forget' the Mercedes connection as simply disconnecting it resulted in it automatically connecting again after a minute or so and therefore disconnecting CarPlay again.
  • The steering wheel controls for answering and ending calls don't work with the JoyeAuto system. it's a bit annoying but a simple click on the jog-wheel answers a call and another click will end the call. Volume and other controls work fine controlling the Joyeauto system.
  • Receiving calls through CarPlay is clear for me but, although the person I'm speaking to can hear me fine, they can also hear themselves. I'm guessing the Mercedes system has noise cancelling or some other trickery that the Joyeauto system doesn't have. Not a deal breaker for me but I'll probably connect to the Mercedes system when I have any lengthy important business calls to make.
  • Fitting is easy but there is no room behind the Mercedes head unit in my C63 to hide the box. I've fed the cables through to the passenger footwell and the box is currently hidden between the bulkhead and the upper part of the footwell. You can't see anything unless you get out the car and stick your head right under there. I'll probably have a longer look at this another day to see if there is anywhere better to hide it. Removing the tray under the glovebox and fitting in there might be an option but it's fine where it is for now.
Although I've listed a few things that I'm not thrilled about, overall I'm very happy with the system and will be keeping it in the car. The few niggles are more than made up for by having a fully functional CarPlay system in my car for only £340 (including the Aux-in / VIM activator which cost £48 from a different supplier). I can even sell on the activator and get my money back if I choose to. Ordering via Aliexpress (my first time) was excellent and the main unit arrived from Hong Kong by UPS 3 days after ordering. The activator took an extra 5 days as it came from a different vendor in China,

amartoor 11-08-2019 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by MFAMG (Post 7827540)
Not yet. Activator is due any day now. I'll try again once I receive it but I don't think that has anything to do with the Radio displaying a "device unavailable' message. Hope I'm wrong.

***UPDATE***

Received the activator today and installed the Joyeauto kit again. Turns out there was an additional cable for the radio that wasn't mentioned in the install video. It had to be removed from the original 48 pin connector and plugged directly into the Joyeauto 48 pin connector. This solved my DAB radio issue. Everything is working now.

A few observations from my first few hours using the system.....

CarPlay works really well and connects wirelessly with no problems. The audio is good (I've got the Burmester package), and I can't really tell any difference when listening to Tidal Hi-Fi between the original setup and the new setup. Moving between the Mercedes system and the Carplay system is very quick and you can even listen to the Joyeauto system while using Mercedes system functionality that doesn't need audio (e.g car settings, air-con control, navigation, etc). Navigating CarPlay and using the apps with the Mercedes controls is easy enough. It's also worth mentioning the staff at Joyeauto were quick to respond when contacting them via Aliexpress messenger and provided additional photos and advice when I mentioned the issue I had with the radio.

The not so goods....
  • If my phone is connected to the car's built in Bluetooth the CarPlay function gets disconnected. This means I've had to 'forget' the Mercedes connection as simply disconnecting it resulted in it automatically connecting again after a minute or so and therefore disconnecting CarPlay again.
  • The steering wheel controls for answering and ending calls don't work with the JoyeAuto system. it's a bit annoying but a simple click on the jog-wheel answers a call and another click will end the call. Volume and other controls work fine controlling the Joyeauto system.
  • Receiving calls through CarPlay is clear for me but, although the person I'm speaking to can hear me fine, they can also hear themselves. I'm guessing the Mercedes system has noise cancelling or some other trickery that the Joyeauto system doesn't have. Not a deal breaker for me but I'll probably connect to the Mercedes system when I have any lengthy important business calls to make.
  • Fitting is easy but there is no room behind the Mercedes head unit in my C63 to hide the box. I've fed the cables through to the passenger footwell and the box is currently hidden between the bulkhead and the upper part of the footwell. You can't see anything unless you get out the car and stick your head right under there. I'll probably have a longer look at this another day to see if there is anywhere better to hide it. Removing the tray under the glovebox and fitting in there might be an option but it's fine where it is for now.
Although I've listed a few things that I'm not thrilled about, overall I'm very happy with the system and will be keeping it in the car. The few niggles are more than made up for by having a fully functional CarPlay system in my car for only £340 (including the Aux-in / VIM activator which cost £48 from a different supplier). I can even sell on the activator and get my money back if I choose to. Ordering via Aliexpress (my first time) was excellent and the main unit arrived from Hong Kong by UPS 3 days after ordering. The activator took an extra 5 days as it came from a different vendor in China,

MFAMG i'm looking at the same product to use with android auto, were you able to use google maps and listen to the radio at the same time?

MFAMG 11-08-2019 07:39 PM

I use CarPlay so haven't used it with Android Auto, but I'd imagine the same would apply. To listen to your car radio while using navigation, or any function on the JoyeAuto box, you would set your car audio system to radio and then switch the display to the box. You won't hear any navigation instructions from the box though because your cars's system is set to radio, but you can view maps/directions and any other of CP/AA apps, you can't control the radio stations from the console now, or see them on screen, but you can use the display screen within the instrument cluster to change or view station information.

One problem you would have would be phone calls. Any phone calls coming through AA would have no audio if you're listening to the car's radio. I tried getting round that by connecting to the car's Bluetooth while connecting to CP, but CP won't let you can't connect to the car's bluetooth system and CP on the box at the same time. AA may be different.

You could just use TuneIn or similar internet radio app on AA so you don't have to listen to the car's radio.