Notices
C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay???

 
Old 04-25-2019, 05:46 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Valkyrie63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 c63s
Apple CarPlay???

Hi all,

I have just signed up to the site today and have been reading lots of threads related to CarPlay.

I have just purchased a c63s built 10/2017 and am curious about CarPlay. I pick up the car next week and havenít actually seen it in the flesh....

Is there an update / retrofit that people have done for relatively late builds of the c63?

So far everything I have read seems to one the one hand say yes and then equally on the other, no?
Valkyrie63 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 11:26 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 107
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C63S Sedan
You can order a 2019 large screen part and get it properly programmed using the engineering software, the screen price is ridiculous though, roughly $1800 CAD
g2lujinn is offline  
The following users liked this post:
japamg (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:38 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 278
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by g2lujinn View Post
You can order a 2019 large screen part and get it properly programmed using the engineering software, the screen price is ridiculous though, roughly $1800 CAD
You have more info on where to get the 2019 screen?

I thought it was not possible to retrofit the screen
japamg is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 11:50 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 107
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by japamg View Post
You have more info on where to get the 2019 screen?

I thought it was not possible to retrofit the screen
There are two ways of getting the screen, the first way is to directly order from Mercedes, the second way is to get a screen from a totaled 2019 C300/C43/C63/C63S, since they are new models, you are gonna need to wait for someone to crash his car...

It's not possible for most dealers to retrofit it for you, but if you have access to Mercedes Engineering software which is capable of modifying all control units, then you can retrofit the screen, and even the steering wheel.

PS: The software is called DTS-Monaco, getting the software alone is easy but getting the newest updates of Mercedes database is very hard...

Last edited by g2lujinn; 04-25-2019 at 11:56 AM.
g2lujinn is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 11:56 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 278
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by g2lujinn View Post
There are two ways of getting the screen, the first way is to directly order from Mercedes, the second way is to get a screen from a totaled 2019 C300/C43/C63/C63S, since they are new models, you are gonna need to wait for someone to crash his car...

It's not possible for most dealers to retrofit it for you, but if you have access to Mercedes Engineering software which is capable of modifying all control units, then you can retrofit the screen, and even the steering wheel.
Thanks!
japamg is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 10:00 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Star4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 840
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by japamg View Post
Thanks!
this guy doesnt know fully what he is talking about. you can not just replace the screen. headunit control module and screen must be replaced. due to updated electrical architecture on facelift w205, for certain control modules a can adapter is needed to analyze the new signals. some functionality may be missing. goodluck finding a wrecked new c63 for a while. even the face lifts with proper parts are hard to find.

if you have command stock in your car (bigger screen), pretty much the only solution is aftermarket. (i sell the better ones). Or if you had audio 20 headunit (smaller screen), then you can do an oem carplay upgrade (i sell this retrofit as well stateside).

That guy is right about needing to have DTS monaco, or you can use vediamo, but either are useless without proper knowledge and database files. if interested pm me and i can explain options.
Star4life is offline  
The following users liked this post:
japamg (05-07-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 01:24 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 214
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63 S, 2011 C63 R.I.P.
Originally Posted by Star4life View Post
this guy doesnt know fully what he is talking about. you can not just replace the screen. headunit control module and screen must be replaced. due to updated electrical architecture on facelift w205, for certain control modules a can adapter is needed to analyze the new signals. some functionality may be missing. goodluck finding a wrecked new c63 for a while. even the face lifts with proper parts are hard to find.

if you have command stock in your car (bigger screen), pretty much the only solution is aftermarket. (i sell the better ones). Or if you had audio 20 headunit (smaller screen), then you can do an oem carplay upgrade (i sell this retrofit as well stateside).

That guy is right about needing to have DTS monaco, or you can use vediamo, but either are useless without proper knowledge and database files. if interested pm me and i can explain options.
how much is the aftermarket module you sell? (the comand version). i have a 2016 model.
rmt52 is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 01:29 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 107
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C63S Sedan
if you need retrofit and you live in Greater Toronto Area, PM me for the details. I can even retrofit 4matic+ system and its hardwares to RWD C63S
g2lujinn is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 01:02 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 2015 4.0
I have fitted an aftermarket box I bought on aliexpress called Sinairyu.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/329474...A1557593977557

It was easy to install and took me 30 minutes, it retains all the OEM look and works really well I am very happy with it...

No coding required just plug and play, the hardest part was finding space for this box and additional wiring.

for $250 I think it was a good deal

Last edited by ems23; 05-11-2019 at 01:05 PM.
ems23 is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 09:58 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 61
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by ems23
I have fitted an aftermarket box I bought on aliexpress called Sinairyu.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/329474...A1557593977557

It was easy to install and took me 30 minutes, it retains all the OEM look and works really well I am very happy with it...

No coding required just plug and play, the hardest part was finding space for this box and additional wiring.

for $250 I think it was a good deal
This looks really interesting. Thanks for the link.
What's the screen quality like compared to OEM?
Could you do a review/write up of the unit?

Cheers
AMGWagon is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:57 AM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 2015 4.0
Originally Posted by AMGWagon View Post
This looks really interesting. Thanks for the link.
What's the screen quality like compared to OEM?
Could you do a review/write up of the unit?

Cheers
You donít change the screen, itís almost like it came from factory.

you just add this module to the existing setup. I might do a video when I have a bit of time
ems23 is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 09:42 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 278
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63s
https://m.es.aliexpress.com/item/329...des-Benz-C-GLC

check this screen. Some of us here have installed it and its great
japamg is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 11:02 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Miami / FL
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by g2lujinn View Post
if you need retrofit and you live in Greater Toronto Area, PM me for the details. I can even retrofit 4matic+ system and its hardwares to RWD C63S
You canít be serious. Are you saying you were able to make a RWD C63S a 4Matic+ ?? Will only believe this with proof
Andre Baracat is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 03:08 AM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 61
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by ems23
You donít change the screen, itís almost like it came from factory.

you just add this module to the existing setup. I might do a video when I have a bit of time
Does this video look like the box you installed?
Trying to work out how you switch to CarPlay - the video suggests audio is via a usb connection and you switch to that media interface to enable CarPlay.
This one also shows a separate mic install which seems to be different to the link you sent, so possibly a different model?

Thanks.
AMGWagon is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 04:59 AM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 2015 4.0
Originally Posted by AMGWagon View Post
Trying to work out how you switch to CarPlay - the video suggests audio is via a usb connection and you switch to that media interface to enable CarPlay.
This one also shows a separate mic install which seems to be different to the link you sent, so possibly a different model?

Thanks.
1. You either plug the phone in the the New USB port in the centre console and CarPlay activates automatically or press and hold the return arrow on the steering wheel for couple of seconds.

2. You donít need the mic (I donít have one) and my audio is channelled via the already exiting Bluetooth connection to the car. You have to select this option the first time you connect your phone to car and it will remember it from then on to use Bluetooth for calls, Siri and music.

the box I bought is slightly different but the installation is more or less the same but without any coding just worked after plugging it in ... I have the Sinairyu (latest version)

Last edited by ems23; 05-13-2019 at 05:02 AM.
ems23 is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 10:52 AM
  #16  
Super Member
 
Star4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 840
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
if anyone wants a reliable one, i have a BNIB apple carplay module that I am willing to part with.works with command or audio 20. i ended up retrofitting oem carplay instead of going aftermarket route.
Star4life is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 61
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by ems23
1. You either plug the phone in the the New USB port in the centre console and CarPlay activates automatically or press and hold the return arrow on the steering wheel for couple of seconds.

2. You donít need the mic (I donít have one) and my audio is channelled via the already exiting Bluetooth connection to the car. You have to select this option the first time you connect your phone to car and it will remember it from then on to use Bluetooth for calls, Siri and music.

the box I bought is slightly different but the installation is more or less the same but without any coding just worked after plugging it in ... I have the Sinairyu (latest version)
Thanks again. Is it possible to listen to the car radio while also using Google Maps on CarPlay for navigation? Or does the fact that it uses the media interface mean that FM radio and CarPlay can't both operate at the same time?
AMGWagon is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 11:26 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 2015 4.0
Originally Posted by AMGWagon View Post
Thanks again. Is it possible to listen to the car radio while also using Google Maps on CarPlay for navigation? Or does the fact that it uses the media interface mean that FM radio and CarPlay can't both operate at the same time?
Yes, you can listen to radio or any other sources while on Google maps, but you will not have any voice guidance from the CarPlay.
ems23 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 AM
  #19  
Super Member
 
raudiace4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 640
Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 C63S coupe
Originally Posted by g2lujinn View Post
if you need retrofit and you live in Greater Toronto Area, PM me for the details. I can even retrofit 4matic+ system and its hardwares to RWD C63S
LOL what?

Proof or GTFO.
raudiace4 is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:34 PM
  #20  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 49
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 E400
Originally Posted by ems23 View Post
Yes, you can listen to radio or any other sources while on Google maps, but you will not have any voice guidance from the CarPlay.
I think most of the aftermarket solutions will require using the AUX audio with their Carplay module. However, with the Tune-In App, you can get your local radio stations, plus from all over the WWW., so it's not really a big deal to use the AUX audio. I initially had some heartburn about needing to toggle the AUX audio, but I never use Sirius for music, as the sound quality is horrible. I'm very happy with my aftermarket wireLESS Carplay...
pl626 is online now  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:37 PM
  #21  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 49
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 E400
Originally Posted by AMGWagon View Post
Does this video look like the box you installed? https://youtu.be/PCjUBVOeXFg
Trying to work out how you switch to CarPlay - the video suggests audio is via a usb connection and you switch to that media interface to enable CarPlay.
This one also shows a separate mic install which seems to be different to the link you sent, so possibly a different model?

Thanks.
This YouTube is for Joyeauto. They make a wireless Carplay solution. I just had it installed in my E400 and its been fantastic!
pl626 is online now  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 PM
  #22  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63S
Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
This YouTube is for Joyeauto. They make a wireless Carplay solution. I just had it installed in my E400 and its been fantastic!

Did you install the external mic? If so, does the car play not use the built in mic any more?
superstarR is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:41 PM
  #23  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 49
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 E400
Originally Posted by superstarR View Post
Did you install the external mic? If so, does the car play not use the built in mic any more?
They did install the external mic. I previously had an icartisan unit that used the internal MB mic, but there were other functional issues that couldn't be resolved so we yanked it. I'm ok having two mics, having CarPlay work without disrupting any of the OEM features was more important to me. And I now have wireless CarPlay as well!
pl626 is online now  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:58 PM
  #24  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63S
Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
They did install the external mic. I previously had an icartisan unit that used the internal MB mic, but there were other functional issues that couldn't be resolved so we yanked it. I'm ok having two mics, having CarPlay work without disrupting any of the OEM features was more important to me. And I now have wireless CarPlay as well!
I'm reading that the aux-in needs to be activated. Does the motion video need to be activated as well? Do you know where we can active the option?
How does the quality of music sounds through the aux-in?
superstarR is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 11:43 AM
  #25  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 49
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 E400
Originally Posted by superstarR View Post
I'm reading that the aux-in needs to be activated. Does the motion video need to be activated as well? Do you know where we can active the option?
How does the quality of music sounds through the aux-in?
You have to go into 'Engineering' mode in COMAND. You'll have to toggle some settings then reset once the aux is toggled. Audio quality is same as OEM, but make sure the smartbox volume setting is not maxed out, sound will distort. I set my smartbox volume at about 75%, then let COMAND handle the main volume control duties.
pl626 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay???


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: