C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I hate about the 2019 C63S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2019 | 11:28 PM

C63
Is the tyre temperature different because you’re possibly driving on a road with a camber and constantly steering into it if only marginally
Old 05-31-2019 | 02:42 PM

2019 AMG C63S
Damn it MB. I thought I'm crazy or theres something going on with my new Vorsteiner wheels. I too have that stupid temperature issue. Maybe we need to address this issue in a separate post or possibly complaint to have it recalled for the new release.

Just a thought... maybe the exhaust is not shielded enough in that area (front passenger tire)?

Last edited by B3NS_C63s_AMG; 05-31-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2019 | 09:33 AM

2019 AMG C63S
I had another issue I couldn't get to the bottom of - on the display showing instant fuel efficiency, there's a section titled "Charge" that looks like it would be for a battery. Clearly the C63S has no electric motor so why would this be displayed on the fuel efficiency page? I asked when I was at the AMG Race School and multiple AMG experts scratched their heads. Finally, one made a few calls and determined it was indicative of when the alternator was charging the starter battery. Apparently the alternator has an electronic disconnect (not a mechanical clutch) that eliminates the load under most driving conditions, in an attempt to increase fuel efficiency. The alternator only allows the battery to be charged under very specific conditions, such as coasting at speed.

Can't say I hate the feature, but it's frustrating that it's not detailed anywhere in the owner's manual that I or the AMG folks could find.

I'm kicking myself that I forgot to ask about the tire temperature differential issue.
Old 06-23-2019 | 12:54 AM

2017 AMG C63
I really like the interior upgrades on the 2019. Lot of nice touches in just the right places.

Bob, all in all I would say that if those are the worst parts of the interior, you are in pretty good shape
The following 2 users liked this post by LessIsMore:
bob_ham (06-23-2019), FLC63s (06-24-2019)
Old 06-23-2019 | 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by bob_ham
I had another issue I couldn't get to the bottom of - on the display showing instant fuel efficiency, there's a section titled "Charge" that looks like it would be for a battery. Clearly the C63S has no electric motor so why would this be displayed on the fuel efficiency page? I asked when I was at the AMG Race School and multiple AMG experts scratched their heads. Finally, one made a few calls and determined it was indicative of when the alternator was charging the starter battery. Apparently the alternator has an electronic disconnect (not a mechanical clutch) that eliminates the load under most driving conditions, in an attempt to increase fuel efficiency. The alternator only allows the battery to be charged under very specific conditions, such as coasting at speed.

Can't say I hate the feature, but it's frustrating that it's not detailed anywhere in the owner's manual that I or the AMG folks could find.

I'm kicking myself that I forgot to ask about the tire temperature differential issue.
Surprised they didn't know more specifics about it. This has been pretty common on newer cars. It's an energy recuperation system. Many things in today's engine/car's are no longer belt driven such as the oil pump and other stuff. They are electric now to save fuel and make the engine more efficient. The steering is electric, too, as everybody probably knows. So these cars have bigger batteries and during coasting increase the alternator voltage to recoup some of the energy by charging the battery that can then be used to power those components and as you said, the alternator can be decoupled to reduce drag on the engine if enough energy can be recouped.
Old 06-23-2019 | 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by offagain
Interesting points, and this is where I would hope and expect a major 'luxury' brand like Mercedes would excel. But hey, no one is perfect. A couple of comments from me, in no particular order:

1) Seat memory buttons - yeah, dont like holding them, but hey, its the same on my wife's Chevy Malibu too. Pretty sure my most recent Porsche Cayenne was the same. Guess its for a reason, people messing with them?
2) Gearbox changes in C mode - I have the older model, so not the latest gearbox. But that shifts pretty badly in C mode too. I refuse to call it Comfort because its not! But its OK, just OK mind. Oddly, in Sport its smoother, just need to get use to starting off in 1st!
3) Key fob - Yeah, be pleased you dont have an older Aston, they just had Volvo ones! The older one is OK and well built, but didnt like the sticking out part, not nice.
4) In car entertainment stuff - its not great I know, but the older Merc system is way worse, its a major step up. I was struggling with it for a while until someone made a few comments - use short cuts and the voice recognition for the navigation is excellent. Once I did that, everything got a lot easier. Not sure if the new system has short cuts, but once I got it sorted, its great. The only thing I dont like about the older one is I cant customize the screen how I want it. I want the next turn to show on the screen! I am sure there is a setting hidden somewhere, but it doesnt. Have to switch the HUD to show it, which sucks.
5) User / hand interface - Yeah, dont use that crappy panel in any way. I got used to years of BMW and the i-Drive, so turning and pushing is fine for me. Nice and expensive hand rest....
6) Parking sensors - my car is very highly spec'ed but one thing it doesnt have is parking sensors.... grrrr... but the loaner E that I had a month ago was excellent. Cameras were great, sensors worked great. Over sensitive yes, but hey, think about the average driver!

But, and here is the big question - does your 2019 creak and rattle? ;-)
When I moved from a C63 to an E63S I was pleasantly surprised that the memory seats work with one touch. The company position was always that it was for safety (you don't want someone crushed to death in their car seat) but apparently the W213 product manager pointed out this has not happened once in the entire history of the automobile. Give that man a cookie.
Old 06-23-2019 | 07:40 AM

2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by whoover
When I moved from a C63 to an E63S I was pleasantly surprised that the memory seats work with one touch. The company position was always that it was for safety (you don't want someone crushed to death in their car seat) but apparently the W213 product manager pointed out this has not happened once in the entire history of the automobile. Give that man a cookie.
Exactly. If they can do it in the E then it could be done in the C. If they're going to do the press-and-hold thing, at least have an audible beep when it's in the final position so I'm not holding it like a chump trying to see if some small component is still in motion.
Old 06-23-2019 | 01:03 PM

2017 C43
Exactly. If they can do it in the E then it could be done in the C. If they're going to do the press-and-hold thing, at least have an audible beep when it's in the final position so I'm not holding it like a chump trying to see if some small component is still in motion.
+100 on the beep, hahaha!
Old 06-24-2019 | 07:17 AM

2019 AMG C63S
If I'm adding on to my running list of gripes, as light hearted as many of them are: I think the AMG can best be described as a 503 horsepower mobile brake dust production machine. I've got IGL ceramic coating on my rims and still, even after just a short drive, the rims become a lovely shade of matte ****-brown. I've tried multiple "no scrub" wheel cleaners, none of them work without some scrubbing. I'm regretting the purchase of the multi-spoke rims now, given the frequency with which I have to wash them.
Old 06-24-2019 | 07:21 AM

2019 C63S Sedan
If I'm adding on to my running list of gripes, as light hearted as many of them are: I think the AMG can best be described as a 503 horsepower mobile brake dust production machine. I've got IGL ceramic coating on my rims and still, even after just a short drive, the rims become a lovely shade of matte ****-brown. I've tried multiple "no scrub" wheel cleaners, none of them work without some scrubbing. I'm regretting the purchase of the multi-spoke rims now, given the frequency with which I have to wash them.
This is exactly why I preferred the 5 spoke rim over the multi spoke. My previous amg had the multi spoke rim, was a hassle cleaning. The 5 spoke rim is a bit easier to wash for sure
Old 06-24-2019 | 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Profomo
This is exactly why I preferred the 5 spoke rim over the multi spoke. My previous amg had the multi spoke rim, was a hassle cleaning. The 5 spoke rim is a bit easier to wash for sure
Ceramic coating is your friend when it comes to cleaning. Get/apply ceramic coating to your wheels. I use the cheapo Mr. Fix 9H stuff available via Amazon and apply 2 coats initially with a 1-coat touch-up each year when swapping summer/winter rims. I've even applied it to rims with a matte-black finish and it works fine and does not "gloss up" the matte finish. Be sure to spend the time to ensure you get the ceramic coating into all the little crevices and corners, beacause that's where the dirt collects and is hardest to remove. I also (carefully) applied it to the painted part of my brake calipers.

The ceramic coating makes it relatively trivial to clean the wheels (and calipers). I only use some Palmolive dish soap in a bucket of water to clean my cars and the brake dust falls off with a gentle fine-fiber/spit-ends brushing. Even removing the extensive dust and rubber marbles that end up inside the rims after a track day is quite easily.
Old 06-24-2019 | 02:43 PM

2019 AMG C63S
I think the point being that, even with ceramic coating (as mentioned, I had mine coated) you still have to get into the nooks and crannies with a brush/rag/sponge/something. So having multi spoke rims and a car that makes brake dust like it was its job - you're gonna be brushing/scrubbing/wiping them frequently.
Old 06-24-2019 | 03:53 PM

c63 2019
My biggest problem at the moment is the drivers side door ( uk version c63 coupe ) is the insane rattle coming from around the door, to me sounds like it’s around the top section maybe where the glass is touching the door seals, will put silicon spray around the seals to see if that helps and if not back to the dealer I go,
Old 06-25-2019 | 01:29 AM

2017 AMG C63
One i didn't see mentioned ...
The volume buttons on the steering wheel will adjust the volume QUICKER with fast single presses, and adjusts SLOWER when held down. That is the opposite of most other press vs hold funtion buttons, automotive or otherwise.

That said, I've already gotten used to it .
Old 06-25-2019 | 07:46 AM

2019 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by user33
Ceramic coating is your friend when it comes to cleaning. Get/apply ceramic coating to your wheels. I use the cheapo Mr. Fix 9H stuff available via Amazon and apply 2 coats initially with a 1-coat touch-up each year when swapping summer/winter rims. I've even applied it to rims with a matte-black finish and it works fine and does not "gloss up" the matte finish. Be sure to spend the time to ensure you get the ceramic coating into all the little crevices and corners, beacause that's where the dirt collects and is hardest to remove. I also (carefully) applied it to the painted part of my brake calipers.

The ceramic coating makes it relatively trivial to clean the wheels (and calipers). I only use some Palmolive dish soap in a bucket of water to clean my cars and the brake dust falls off with a gentle fine-fiber/spit-ends brushing. Even removing the extensive dust and rubber marbles that end up inside the rims after a track day is quite easily.
Had ceramic coating done on my previous ride, and ppf on my current ride. Had my wheels coated as well on my current ride.

While it does make cleaning and dust less of an issue, it still does require regular maintenance.

Also, I'd advise against using dish soap, especially if your car is coated. If anything, it reduced the longevity and coating properties of the ceramic coat. Would suggest something more neutral like carpro reset or the likes.
Old 06-25-2019 | 07:53 AM

2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
One i didn't see mentioned ...
The volume buttons on the steering wheel will adjust the volume QUICKER with fast single presses, and adjusts SLOWER when held down. That is the opposite of most other press vs hold funtion buttons, automotive or otherwise.

That said, I've already gotten used to it .
I'm guessing you don't have a 2019 - the volume control on mine is a wheel, there's no single press, you roll it up for more volume, down for less. Press and it mutes.
Old 06-25-2019 | 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Profomo
Also, I'd advise against using dish soap, especially if your car is coated. If anything, it reduced the longevity and coating properties of the ceramic coat. Would suggest something more neutral like carpro reset or the likes.
The green Palmolive dish soap (SDS Number: 660000000522) has a pH of 7.2 (7.0 is "neutral") and is considered to be a mild detergent. I've been using it exclusively on cars since the 1970s. I purchased a new Mercedes 300 turbo-diesel in 1983 and drove it for 27 years ... always used Mothers Pure Carnuba wax and Palmolive green dishsoap for cleaning. When I sold the car, the purchaser put collector plates on the car -- the paint job was in near perfect condition. I seriously doubt that the (often exhorbitantly priced) special "car shampoos" would produce any measurably different results, and bulk green Palmolive is relatively inexpensive at Costco. $;-)
The following users liked this post:
bob_ham (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019 | 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by user33
The green Palmolive dish soap (SDS Number: 660000000522) has a pH of 7.2 (7.0 is "neutral") and is considered to be a mild detergent. I've been using it exclusively on cars since the 1970s. I purchased a new Mercedes 300 turbo-diesel in 1983 and drove it for 27 years ... always used Mothers Pure Carnuba wax and Palmolive green dishsoap for cleaning. When I sold the car, the purchaser put collector plates on the car -- the paint job was in near perfect condition. I seriously doubt that the (often exhorbitantly priced) special "car shampoos" would produce any measurably different results, and bulk green Palmolive is relatively inexpensive at Costco. $;-)
+1
I as well. Nowadays there's a myriad of products on the marketplace for almost anything. It's all clever marketing at the end of the day to sell more stuff/junk.